After 100 Pages - Boring!

The devil is in the details.

After 100 Pages - Boring!

Postby davelinh on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:28 pm

The story concept is great... a man grows horns and develops the ability to know the sins and darkest secrets of those he meets. The first 100 pages (or so) were interesting and I could hardly wait until Ig encounters the next person. However, the book degenerated into boredom about the time the author begins to write about Ig's family, friends who then become the center of the story. I kept scanning the pages in the hope the storyline would return to the initial premise... the ability to know sins and darkest secrets. Alas, boredom continued until the end of the book. I was interested in Ig's devilish abilities and not the tiresome details of his personal relationship.

Sorry... can't recommend this book. :evil:
davelinh

Re: After 100 Pages - Boring!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm confused...did you read the whole book or only 100 pages?
My opinion is that you were expecting a different story than the one you got. Horns starts out as a dark fantasy and has elements of that genre through-out, but it also is a thoughtful, philosophical novel that speaks to how we deal with grief and loss. I found it touching and profound. Those "tiresome details" ARE the story. Horns may not be your cup 'o' tea but it's not boring. I think rather than simply labeling it boring you should be more specific in saying what you didn't like.
To each his own, I guess.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby davelinh on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:53 pm

I read the first 100 pages and scanned the rest. I found your analysis bout grief and loss interesting. However, an author has some "obligation" to continue the opening theme which attracted a reader's initial interest. The new theme of grief and loss won't be a problem provided it doesn't dominate the remainder of the book. Unfortunately, a return to the initial storyline did not occur and boredom is the result for some readers.
davelinh

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:02 am

What about Ig's sermon to the snakes? You should read that again.
And I don't think any writer has an "obligation" to do anything. The story goes where it goes. I thought the deal with the horns was simply a vehicle to drive the story. It might have been boring to me if the entire story was simply Ig listening to confessions throughout.

Betsy_Boo

Postby davelinh on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 am

Joe Hill is the son of Steven King. I doubt seriously if Mr. King would have been as successful as he is if he had started his books with a horror storyline and then switched to romance in the middle of the book. Regardless of how beautiful and sensitive the romance portion of the book might have been, the reader expected horror. Time to take a step back and review Horns in total and not just just a few wonderful paragraphes,
davelinh

Postby foxslady on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 am

Joe Hill is the son of Steven King. I doubt seriously if Mr. King would have been as successful as he is if he had started his books with a horror storyline and then switched to romance in the middle of the book. Regardless of how beautiful and sensitive the romance portion of the book might have been, the reader expected horror. Time to take a step back and review Horns in total and not just just a few wonderful paragraphes

I have to agree with you the romance in the middle of the book spoiled it for me, I started a horror story and that's what I expected all the way through. That's why I said on another thread that I was disapointed.
Barb
wrinkles are left over smiles
foxslady

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:59 pm

foxslady wrote:
Joe Hill is the son of Steven King. I doubt seriously if Mr. King would have been as successful as he is if he had started his books with a horror storyline and then switched to romance in the middle of the book. Regardless of how beautiful and sensitive the romance portion of the book might have been, the reader expected horror. Time to take a step back and review Horns in total and not just just a few wonderful paragraphes

I have to agree with you the romance in the middle of the book spoiled it for me, I started a horror story and that's what I expected all the way through. That's why I said on another thread that I was disapointed.
Barb

I'm sorry...but I just can't agree. Joe Hill is a different kind of writer than SK. The problem here is the expectation of the reader. I didn't see a "switch to romance". I saw a whole, complete story...with elements of horror, love, heart-break and humor...just like real life is. That's why I love Joe's work. He gives us a little of everything. "In total." I loved the turns this story took and it was complete for me.

And dyetye...I thought Spew was a bit harsh, but I understand the knee jerk reaction. I think to come here to Joe's MB and just label Horns as "boring" without explanation was wrong. It's kinda like throwing a match on gasoline. :wink:

Betsy_Boo

Postby davelinh on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Guys,,, I didn't say Horns switched to romance midbook, I said if SK had switched from horror to romance in his books he won't have been very successful.

Betty_Boo: I noticed you've submitted 4326 POSTS -- repeat 4326 POSTS -- to JH's website. That says more than anything else about your objectivity.
davelinh

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:30 pm

davelinh wrote:Guys,,, I didn't say Horns switched to romance midbook, I said if SK had switched from horror to romance in his books he won't have been very successful.

Betty_Boo: I noticed you've submitted 4326 POSTS -- repeat 4326 POSTS -- to JH's website. That says more than anything else about your objectivity.

That's Betsy_Boo. And yes, I love Joe's work. I'm actually quite passionate about it. I came here after I read HSB because I was so impressed. It had been a long, long time since I had come across a writer who excited me. I stayed to hang out here because folks were so kind and we get along so well. If that makes me a pathetic geek, so be it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby joe_hill on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:25 pm

First: Play nice folks. Personal attacks and trash talk aren't tolerated here. I deleted a couple comments that were beyond the pale. Let's keep it clean.

Second: davelinh (and foxlady), sorry you didn't like it. Maybe you'll dig the next one. That said, fair warning - I like to write about love and attraction at least as much as I like to write about devils or ghosts. So it's equally possible I'm just not the writer for you. No worries either way. There's a lot of great horror writers out there, hope you connect with an author that does it for you.
Last edited by joe_hill on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joe_hill
Site Admin

After 100 Pages - Just keeps getting better

Postby Patrick on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 am

I started the book expecting it to be horror (albeit with a "human" touch) throughout. What I realized afterward was that, far and away more than anything else, this was a love story. And I couldn't be more pleased and impressed with the way Joe pulled it off.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Re: After 100 Pages - Just keeps getting better

Postby dyetye on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:57 am

Patrick wrote:I started the book expecting it to be horror (albeit with a "human" touch) throughout. What I realized afterward was that, far and away more than anything else, this was a love story. And I couldn't be more pleased and impressed with the way Joe pulled it off.

I couldn't agree more. I just finished it this morning, and I loved every minute it!
dyetye

Postby foxslady on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:39 am

Sorry Joe, I loved your first 2 books and look forward to the next book, I will buy it as soon as it comes out. By the way your Dad's books do it for me.( he's written a couple I didn't care for as well) Perhaps in my mind I'm comparing you unfairly. Again my apologies

Barb
wrinkles are left over smiles
foxslady

Postby Merrin on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:04 pm

A fantastic book from start to finish, yes it started out like others have said but i still feel the theme of horror was still there all the way through. There were just other parts of the story coming through, which as Betsy said, make Horns a complete and real story!
Merrin

Postby davelinh on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Mr. Hill,

It's been said there is one thing worse than failure for a writer... success. Success can often lead to a belief that everything written is worthy of a Nobel Prize. Horns was marketed as a 'horror' book. Horror was the hook which never delivered. Combining horror and romance is fine but Horns is really two books... horror followed by romance and rarely did the two meet.

You're correct... you're not the writer for me. Unfornately, Betty_Bo probably only buys one book.

Please delete me from your 'adoring fans' database.
davelinh

Next

Return to HORNS