Dear Joe,

The devil is in the details.

Dear Joe,

Postby Lenny on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 am

I wish i were a writer so I could properly express in words what I wish to tell you.

I just finished reading Horns and I am without ability to express my feelings about how this story touched me. I want to write words like holy fuck, wow, amazing, etc. etc. But then that would seem too cheap, too cliche. I want to tell you how sad and heart broken I feel, but again that would not cover what I feel in my heart. I don't know the words and would not know how to write them if I did. I laughed, I cringed, I smiled, I rubbed goosed bumps off my arms, I ached, I cried, I hated, I loved. I have never been moved by a story like I was while reading this one. I have loved many stories in my life but this one touched me like no other. This one made me feel all things you should when you read, like you are there, like you are standing in the rain on that dirt road. Like the letter was written to you. Like you have loved and lost and found happiness again.

Thank you Joe.
Last edited by Lenny on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lenny

Re: Dear Joe,

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:43 am

Oh wow Lenny...you expressed yourself very well. I felt the exact same way when I read HORNS. I don't know how Joe manages to write in such a way that you FEEL so much...so much it's almost impossible to describe in words. But I think you did it! :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 am

Lenny...I hope you don't mind me using your thread to post my own "Dear Joe"...

Dear Joe,

In your blog post "Iggy's Rock Bible" you wrote:

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" by the Rolling Stones:
"Can’t always get what you need either, although if you catch a little luck, maybe you get an afternoon in your own personal Treehouse of the Mind, and if you’ve had that, at least you had something good."

I haven't been able to get this out of my mind...this morning I was even in tears about it. I got to thinking how I often seem to dwell on the crappy things that have happened in my life and disregard the good. I realized when I read this quote that I haven't gotten what I wanted (or needed) for most of my life, but I did have "an afternoon in my own personal Treehouse" and when I think about it, it makes up for a LOT. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for that.

Sincerely, Betsy Boo

Betsy_Boo

Postby Merrin on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:53 pm

I have to agree with the above posts, i really feel this is my favourite book of all time with all the twists and turns. The bit that got it for me is that i have never felt the characters feel so real, want so much for everything to turn out right and yes i even felt like crying at times in the book!

Now i can't wait for the book to come out in the UK so i can read it again (im not wanting to read the Advanced Readers Copy again)

Thanks Joe for such a kickass book!
Merrin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:37 pm

I know what you mean Merrin...I got my HC from RR this weekend and I'm gonna re-read it as soon as I'm done with the book I'm reading now. I've already noticed a difference between the ARC and the HC: In the UK ARC Ig's middle name is William as opposed to Martin in the HC.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Just ordered "Let It Bleed". More tears coming.

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:I got to thinking how I often seem to dwell on the crappy things that have happened in my life and disregard the good. I realized when I read this quote that I haven't gotten what I wanted (or needed) for most of my life, but I did have "an afternoon in my own personal Treehouse" and when I think about it, it makes up for a LOT. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for that.

Aww, BB - I just wish I could give you a great big hug! I cannot say that always see the best of things....but I do try with all my might. When you feel like there's so little to be happy & thankful about...and wish you never had to "try" to see the good things within your life.....I have lost my train of thought :oops: I don't know. I only know that I have a really wonderful family and I truly do think that is all that matters. To little ol' me, at least.
You made me think of how I keep saying to myself if I go with the flow for others...put aside my wants & needs...eventually it will come back, ten fold!!! At times I feel like "eventually" ain't coming. Time to put ME ME ME first :wink: I still don't, ha ha...but in my day dreams I do and I RULE - ha ha.
Big hugs, BB - You deserve only the best!
This_Girl

Postby This_Girl on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:23 pm

Lenny, I thought what you wrote was honest and touching. Can't think of anything else you could have said that would have made it "properly" expressed.
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:12 am

This_Girl wrote:
Betsy_Boo wrote:I got to thinking how I often seem to dwell on the crappy things that have happened in my life and disregard the good. I realized when I read this quote that I haven't gotten what I wanted (or needed) for most of my life, but I did have "an afternoon in my own personal Treehouse" and when I think about it, it makes up for a LOT. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for that.

Aww, BB - I just wish I could give you a great big hug! I cannot say that always see the best of things....but I do try with all my might. When you feel like there's so little to be happy & thankful about...and wish you never had to "try" to see the good things within your life.....I have lost my train of thought :oops: I don't know. I only know that I have a really wonderful family and I truly do think that is all that matters. To little ol' me, at least.
You made me think of how I keep saying to myself if I go with the flow for others...put aside my wants & needs...eventually it will come back, ten fold!!! At times I feel like "eventually" ain't coming. Time to put ME ME ME first :wink: I still don't, ha ha...but in my day dreams I do and I RULE - ha ha.
Big hugs, BB - You deserve only the best!

Thanks TG! I've missed you. You always know the right thing to say. You deserve the best too and I'm happy that your family gives you so much joy!
And yeah...I pretty much did that...kept thinking all these years that if I put myself last that someday I would be rewarded. And I have had some rewards, but no personal ones. I don't think it's selfish to put yourself first once in a while. Keeps you from getting lost. Keep daydreaming TG and you'll think of something!

Betsy_Boo

Postby nme187 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:54 pm

hi all, I have to agree with all the positive responses. i finished horns in only a few hours. I couldn't put it down. Like the above I dont know how to express how I felt. I have never felt this way about any book I have ever read. No book has every made me shed a tear (and this book almost did) took alot to hold it in. The only problem that I had with this book is that it had to end. The back story hit at home with me and the friends I had growing up. we had places in the woods we all hung out at. So I felt like I knew every person in the story. By far this is the BEST book that I have read in a very, very long time. I would just like to tell Mr. Hill, Thanks for an Incredible book.
nme187

Postby Doose333 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:08 am

This has been my favorite poem for years and years and while reading I often found myself thinking about it more and more

WALK A MILE
*Robert Browning

I walked a mile with Pleasure,
She chattered all the way;
But left me none the wiser
for all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow
and ne'er a word said she
But oh the thing I learned from her
When Sorrow walked with me.
Doose333

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:25 am

That's beautiful, Doose.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Patrick on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:03 am

Lenny, that letter was perfect.

Betsy, please remember that there are strong arms around you, brave hearts in whom to rest.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:51 am

Patrick wrote:Lenny, that letter was perfect.

Betsy, please remember that there are strong arms around you, brave hearts in whom to rest.

Thank you Patrick...you have a beautiful soul. I'm going to write that down and cherish it.

Betsy_Boo

Return to HORNS