HORNS and LT

The devil is in the details.

HORNS and LT

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:23 am

Hey Joe, any chance of offering HORNS to the Early Reviewer program over at LibraryThing? Thanks.
Dana_Jean

Re: HORNS and LT

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:00 pm

Hey DJ! How ya doin'? I already asked Joe about an ARC on GR. Then again, he's a member of LT so he might do it. What is the "Early Reviewer Program"? Anyway, good luck!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Hey Betsy girl! Hope you and yours are doing great.

Early Reviewers is a group that anyone can join over at LibraryThing. Publishers offer free books for reviews. The number of books and publishers participating each month varies, but I always seem to find something to request. I've won a few, but seem to be in a dry streak right now, not having won anything for many months. Sometimes they are ARCs being sent out months ahead of publication; sometimes they are the finished product sent out once published.

Anyway, you see a book that interests you, you request it and then at the end of the month, a super secret algorithm picks the best people for the book according to their libraries. They want the best match for the books as possible.

The site is free up to 200 books in your library, after that, it's a membership thing--yearly or lifetime. I found out about LT through Joe to begin with and have really enjoyed the site. Lots of threads for book talks and the off topic things. I'm not a writer-- and my reviews are haphazard--but, they are fun to do and I have a shitload of them. :lol: You should check it out Betsy, I think you'd really like the site and they are constantly trying to improve the community.

Joe hasn't added any books for years, so I'm guessing he doesn't hang out there much anymore. Check it out.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:53 am

I'm fine...hope you are the same! I've missed you!

That sounds pretty cool DJ, but I'm kinda entrenched over at GoodReads. I think it's basically the same kind of deal. They have give-a-ways there too and I have won a couple, but I don't know that they match you up according to your booklist---which come to think of it, makes perfect sense. At any rate, I had hoped that Joe would put up an ARC on there (not too late, Joe!). I do love the site...it fills that hole I got when I left the bookstore. I love talking books with booklovers and I love getting recommendations, although my to-read list is so long now that I won't live long enough to read everything I want too! :(

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:23 am

I am the same. My TBR pile is beyond crazy. I've been on a mission, though, this last year. I've decided I need to read what I have--buying very few books to add to the pile. I used to purchase at least 3 new books a week. I have cut that down to about 1 brand new book every 4 months. I've branched out into used books now too, which once upon a time, I never did.

My TBR pile is shrinking as I keep only really special ones, donating the rest. Anything new that comes out that I just have to read, I go to the library for it.

I'm trying to free myself of stuff. I have too much clutter.

As far as these book sites go, do you like the GoodReads community? There's also Shelfari--I don't know anyone who goes there but would love to hear what the thoughts are of anyone who does.

So far this year, I've read 56 books. I'm so proud of myself.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:41 pm

The only time my to-read list ever got manageable was when I broke my ankle and couldn't go anywhere for 3 months! And yeah...I really do like GoodReads. It's so cool to have discussions about something you've just read with others...and to read the reviews. Some of the folks on there could be professional book reviewers. Really good writers!

I've been trying to cut back as well. Hubby won't let me have any more bookshelves. I'm hoping the price will go down on those eReaders 'cause I think that would help alot. Of course for my favorite authors I'll always buy hard copies, but some books you just know you're never going to read again.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:15 pm

And speaking of HORNS and GoodReads, I was just browsing around over there and decided to see what kind of rating it was getting from the folks who got an ARC. I figured it would be safe enough if I didn't actually read any of the reviews. It looks like HORNS is gonna do well...so far it is getting no less than a 4 star rating & getting mostly fives!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Sounds good. I'm really looking forward to it. I always expect a good story and top notch writing when I read Joe's stuff.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Double ditto!

Betsy_Boo

Postby James on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:07 pm

Sounds like I need to check out goodreads and librarything.
James

Postby Starchild on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:34 pm

I can't wait for the book to come out. I'm excited.
Starchild

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:16 pm

Me too! Really looking forward to this one! :)

Betsy_Boo

Return to HORNS