Horns in the classroom

The devil is in the details.

Horns in the classroom

Postby April_Freeman on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm a sophomore English teacher and a huge Joe Hill fan. My students love to read and they always want to hear everything about the books I'm reading. Last year, while reading Heart Shaped Box, (it happened to be the monthly selection at our local library's book club,) my students wanted a daily update, they were like sponges. Soon I had at least a dozen or more kids with a copy in their hands. Some of these kids did book reports (7) on HSB. They are all waiting for this day. I have my copy of Horns already. I'm very excited to start reading, and to discuss the reading with my kids. I get a lot of criticism because I don't censor the reading choices of my students. I hear them speak and their language is worse than anything they could read in a book. As long as their parents give permission I let them read what they like because they are reading. Reading is learning. Will I get a raised eyebrow for using Horns as a learning tool in the classroom? I hope I catch hell!
April_Freeman

Re: Horns in the classroom

Postby foxslady on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:50 pm

You wouldn't have gotten raised eyebrows from, I had to give permission for my kids to read Stephen king books for school. They took one book from my youngest son ( he was in 8th grade) said he couldn't have it back and they were calling me. They did and I ripped them a new one, it was my book and I had suggested he read it. After that there were no problems.
wrinkles are left over smiles
foxslady

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:39 pm

April..."I hope I catch hell!" Funny! But I have to say HORNS is a great book for teens, IMO. And I wish I'd had a teacher like you in high school! And I completely agree with your philosophy...I let my kids read anything they wanted and they are still reading now that they are adults. "Reading is learning." Exactly. I also had the opinion that the more they had the habit to read, no matter what it was, the better off they'd be in college when there is even more reading.

When you've finished HORNS come back and tell us what you think, ok?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Selena on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:45 pm

I read "Carrie" when I was nine... :D
*~*~Selena~*~*
Selena

Return to HORNS