Re: Horns on Ebay ?

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:27 pm

demorganakamark wrote:
James wrote:demorganakamark,

Im jumping, im jumping

did you get it?

still waiting
tick, tock.......man, i want it

Wooofucking hoooooooo........got it......thanks so much James for bringing this up....happy dance in full motha ducka
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby James on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:36 pm

demorganakamark wrote:<br><br>Wooofucking hoooooooo........got it......thanks so much James for bringing this up....happy dance in full motha ducka

good, I saw. Hopefully they'll arrive in new condition as promised.

There's two more sellers up there. One wants too much $...the other is damaged.
James

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:38 pm

James wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:<br><br>Wooofucking hoooooooo........got it......thanks so much James for bringing this up....happy dance in full motha ducka

good, I saw. Hopefully they'll arrive in new condition as promised.

There's two more sellers up there. One wants too much $...the other is damaged.

i seen that, i was going for the wrong one at first .....then i seen the one that you mentioned..then it was just crossed fingers time...thanks man
demorganakamark

Postby LauraK on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Shane wrote:
LauraK wrote:Shane- Can they legally ship these arcs to people who win them on eBay before the book's actual release date? Or is there no stopping them?

Laura,

ARCs (which are also knows as 'galleys') are a weird thing. Plenty of books come out in an advanced form to seek out blurbs or garner reviews. For the most part, many of them are unremarkable and truly serve their purpose for just that objective. Others, for authors who are dear to you personally, or more famous relatively, have their galleys sought after a bit more for collector purposes. They are, almost never different from their finished siblings, but just offer a look at a book prior to its official release.

I have several of them, and I pulled three of them off the shelf to look at them before replying to you. One of them had no caution or directive on it at all, but merely said it was an uncorrected proof and is subject to change. The other was a bit more wordy, saying that it's not for sale, and exists for review purposes. The last one had a full disclaimer that threatened potential litigation for any misconduct associated with it, including the sale (or transfer!) to any third-party.

Technically, the idea is they're not supposed to be for sale. But, that's to be meant for bookstores/dealers, I would think. Regular people sell all kinds of stuff to one another. Personally, I'm a bit like James in that I like to get the galley for books that are of a particular favorite or fondness to me. I find galleys all the time in independent bookstores. When I used to work at a bookstore, they'd come in all the time; fiction, cookbooks, history, etc. They'd go on a shelf out back, and employees were welcome to them. Every once in a while, one from a major/popular author would come in, and that was a bit different. But I don't think I've ever seen anything substantially different in a galley from the final product, aside from a typo here or there.

Yes! And that's just what I meant- usually the arcs aren't much different than what ends up being the final product. But selling it gets it out there before the general-public copies are available. Kind of makes me remember when HP7 was due to come out and someone leaked it, or a big portion, online. (I know, completely different, but still.....)

Thanks, Shane. :)

As an author, I think I'd be pretty pissed that someone was circulating copies of my work that wasn't meant to be read by the public yet...though I also see that it's practically impossible to stop.

I have an arc of Heart-Shaped Box but I got it just after it was released...I was lucky enough to have a friend who took it, along with my regular ed HC, to a signing. Almost all of my Joe books/comics/things are signed. I'm so proud and happy to have them and would never sell them in a million years, so I totally get where you're coming from- James! (Thanks to you for answering me, as well! :D )

All Dave Barry arcs, wow! Great collection! One of my fave books by Dave is one of the smallest, about Bad Songs. OMG, I thought I'd pee my pants just reading through it a bit in the bookstore, lol. He is so funny...I'd love to meet him, either at a book signing or after seeing him (and other folks I'd love to meet, one for the second time!) perform with the Rock Bottom Remainders.... :twisted:

I also have a few other books with sigs or that are rare that I'd neverever sell.

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby LauraK on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Hey, congrats to you both on getting what I hope are really excellent cond arcs at a good price!

Remember, no spoiling, lol! (I'm sure you'll tease us over what we're missing though, huh?) :D

LauraK

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:33 pm

HORNS -SIGNED ONLY FIRST 50-----SO, IF YOU SEE AN OPTION FOR THE SIGNED--THAT MEANS THAT THEY STILL HAVE IT....AT CEMETARY DANCE FOR $26
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:43 pm

demorganakamark

Postby LauraK on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Poop...must've missed it. I only see the trade hc unsigned edition.

Thanks, though. :)

LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:24 pm

I'd do just about anything to get an ARC of HORNS. But that's mainly because I'm sooooooo impatient...not because I want to get out of paying for it. Believe me, nothing will stop me from buying it the first day it comes out!

I used to get a lot of ARCs when I worked in the bookstore. Such a treat!! The best one I ever got was THE MONSTERS OF TEMPLETON, but I have to admit, there was a major error in it that I hope was fixed by the time it was released to the general public. Still, loved the story!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby James on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 pm

I want to ready it now, but after ordering from PS
I have no more $'s left. Guess I'll have to wait 'till
February.
James

Postby sgc1999 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:00 pm

I would desperately love to get my hands on an arc copy of horns. if anyone can lead me in the right direction i would be extatic! I am even willing to trade a signed copy of under the dome that i will be getting on DEC 2 in VT for an arc copy of horns. Thanks for any help you can give,
Simon
sgc1999

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 pm

sgc1999 wrote:I would desperately love to get my hands on an arc copy of horns. if anyone can lead me in the right direction i would be extatic! I am even willing to trade a signed copy of under the dome that i will be getting on DEC 2 in VT for an arc copy of horns. Thanks for any help you can give,
Simon

well, ill see what i can do for you.
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:01 pm

demorganakamark wrote:
sgc1999 wrote:I would desperately love to get my hands on an arc copy of horns. if anyone can lead me in the right direction i would be extatic! I am even willing to trade a signed copy of under the dome that i will be getting on DEC 2 in VT for an arc copy of horns. Thanks for any help you can give,
Simon

well, ill see what i can do for you.

You can probably get a copy for under a 100....but if you dont want to deal with it , then hell, ill buy the thing and we can just swap even if thats what you want.
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:13 pm

Ok, IM putting out the word to some of the people that i know that are authors...that im looking for a HORNS ARC..
demorganakamark

Postby sgc1999 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 am

sweet. i appreciate it. I cant even find any for sale.:/
sgc1999

PreviousNext

Return to HORNS