HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

The devil is in the details.

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:30 am

Last night I re-read the part where Lee has his run-in with the cat. What I didn't realize the first time I read it was the cat seemed to lure Lee into his accident with the pitchfork. The cat seemed like a sociopath...if animals could be sociopaths. Might the cat have been possessed by a demon? And another question...would Lee have turned out the way he did if he had NOT had his accident? I'm even wondering if the cat was possessed by a demon and when Lee killed it the demon possessed him, although maybe that's too easy. When Lee's mother is describing the cat it's almost like she's describing Lee after the accident:

"He won't learn to like you," she said. "He's past the point where he can learn to feel for people. He's not interested in you or anyone, and never will be."
Sounds like Lee, yes?
"We'll always have Paris."

Image
Betsy_Boo
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:32 am

Oh yeah...another thing about the cat:
"One eye was green, the other white, giving him a look of partial blindness."
Lee looked that way after the cherry bomb accident. Coincidence?
"We'll always have Paris."

Image
Betsy_Boo
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Patrick on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm sure the parallels between the two were deliberate.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm
Location: Monterey Bay Area

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby MiloBloom on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:55 am

When I first saw this book in B&N and read the flap it didn't interest me. Then a friend told me how good it was and I gave it a go. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the book. I typically don't like flashback scenes, but these were done exceptionally well and helped to really flesh out the characters. My initial assumption was that people were not tellin Ig their true darkest thoughts but were telling him what deep down Ig thought they were like. Another thing I typically don't like is for an author to leave a story with unanswered questions, but again, Joe Hill showed his amazing talent by leaving questions unanswered but still managing to make the story feel complete. An overall excellent book.
MiloBloom
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:22 am

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby This_Girl on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:53 pm

~*~*~*~* Want to read here so badly ~*~*~*~ Almost done w/ Horns so I'll have things to say soon.
Image
This_Girl
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 am
Location: South Florida

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby This_Girl on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:29 pm

All Done and LOVED it!
**************All Spoilers Below********************



A couple of things I wanted to throw out there (time is limited as the kiddies are still up and about - gotta mini-break b/c the husband is awesome) ;
* I only read right before bed so I may have dozed off or looked away starting back at the wrong place and missed somethings....but I thought I read on one of the posts here something about Judas Coyne making come sinful confessions to Ig. I only remember reading that Terry was at the bonfire and the people were listening to Judas Coyne. What'd I miss???? I don't recall Ig & Judas meeting up.
* I was terrified, crazy nervous, when Ig & Merrin were in the treehouse and someone/something was banging the trap door....and then so heartbroken to find later who was doing the banging. Wishing so badly he did get in to tell 'em a thing or two he knew. Such is life though. So many things I'd love to tell my younger self. What do they say? If I knew then what I know now....
* I was quite uncomfortable with the snake & Lee's death. I am not fearful of snakes....but that made made my palms sweat....just thinking of anything like that. Uuuugh, creepy!
* I was further creeped out by Lee's treatment of his mother. I hate to admit it, but old people scare me. Is saying "old people" rude? Should I say the elderly? None the less, I am not comfortable at all around older persons. Maybe it's my own fears of aging? I find them scary, so to read about this poor woman being tortured was not pleasant for me. (Not that she was old...but one of the scariest things I ever read was Pet Cemetary and the "sister"... Which when Ig learned more about Regan, I actually thought of the sister (sister-in-law) from PC and how scary she was. She said nasty things, too!)
* Last (for now) - The whole idea of people telling you their deepest and darkest - possibly thoughts they don't allow themselves to think... was great, yet unfair. I would NEVER want to know what people truly thought of me. I would be heartbroken to find out such harsh truths. And how sad for Ig when most thoughts came from an act he did not do!!! I felt badly for him.

I have been officially told my break is over.
Image
This_Girl
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 am
Location: South Florida

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Doose333 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:33 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:Last night I re-read the part where Lee has his run-in with the cat. What I didn't realize the first time I read it was the cat seemed to lure Lee into his accident with the pitchfork. The cat seemed like a sociopath...if animals could be sociopaths. Might the cat have been possessed by a demon? And another question...would Lee have turned out the way he did if he had NOT had his accident? I'm even wondering if the cat was possessed by a demon and when Lee killed it the demon possessed him, although maybe that's too easy. When Lee's mother is describing the cat it's almost like she's describing Lee after the accident:

"He won't learn to like you," she said. "He's past the point where he can learn to feel for people. He's not interested in you or anyone, and never will be."
Sounds like Lee, yes?


Good call on the idea of the cat being some kind of demon, it's an interesting idea... Maybe it was some kind of demon, or maybe it was not a real memory but some kind of weird hybrid memory that Lee came up with, like maybe in reality there was a cat, and it did draw Lee in and he had an accident that altered him forever, but he could have given it the features like the eyes as a way of internalizing his own demons.
Doose333
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:56 am

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby grasking on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:38 am

Doose333 wrote:
Betsy_Boo wrote:Last night I re-read the part where Lee has his run-in with the cat. What I didn't realize the first time I read it was the cat seemed to lure Lee into his accident with the pitchfork. The cat seemed like a sociopath...if animals could be sociopaths. Might the cat have been possessed by a demon? And another question...would Lee have turned out the way he did if he had NOT had his accident? I'm even wondering if the cat was possessed by a demon and when Lee killed it the demon possessed him, although maybe that's too easy. When Lee's mother is describing the cat it's almost like she's describing Lee after the accident:

"He won't learn to like you," she said. "He's past the point where he can learn to feel for people. He's not interested in you or anyone, and never will be."
Sounds like Lee, yes?


Good call on the idea of the cat being some kind of demon, it's an interesting idea... Maybe it was some kind of demon, or maybe it was not a real memory but some kind of weird hybrid memory that Lee came up with, like maybe in reality there was a cat, and it did draw Lee in and he had an accident that altered him forever, but he could have given it the features like the eyes as a way of internalizing his own demons.


Cats were once considered agents of witches (or witches) and Satan. They were mercilessly butchered by God-fearing Christians.
Last edited by grasking on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
grasking
 
Posts: 2409
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 pm
Location: northeast

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby grasking on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:44 am

The cat was just a cat. Joe was using the incident to show how cruel and disturbed Lee was; the first steps of his path.
Image
grasking
 
Posts: 2409
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 pm
Location: northeast

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby This_Girl on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:53 am

grasking wrote:The cat was just a cat. Joe was using the incident to show how cruel and disturbed Lee was; the first steps of his path.

Yes, that makes sense... I was under the impression the cat was some form of tool to get Lee further along the fence and was in agreement with what the others said here.
I kind of took from this story that there isn't a "devil". There are devils and maybe the actual Satan works more like the demon did in "Fallen" and passes through others to some dirty work. And of course, the whole issue with maybe the dirty work being more of a good deed.

Then again, sometimes a cat is just a cat. :)
Image
This_Girl
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 am
Location: South Florida

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:00 pm

And a cigar is a cigar...LOL!
"We'll always have Paris."

Image
Betsy_Boo
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Romeo_Haight on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:46 pm

i honestly thought lee got off light. i really did not like him.
we're from america. we're from america. we turn literature into litter.
we're from america. we're from america. we believe in being a quitter.

Image
Romeo_Haight
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am
Location: Nowhere to brag about

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:01 am

I agree...Lee is one of the worst literary villains I have ever come across.

Hey TG...I just saw your post. I felt the same way about the treehouse incident. Terrified and then heartbroken when I found out who it was. And now that you've brought it up, I wonder too, what the older Ig would've said to the younger, beyond warning him about Merrin's death. I too wish I could go back in time and have a long talk with my teenage self!

That thread you were asking about...Judas confessions? That was just a "what if" kind of thing. Someone was wondering what horrible things Jude would have to say to Ig.
"We'll always have Paris."

Image
Betsy_Boo
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby This_Girl on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:31 pm

OOooh, Thank you, BB. I really thought I zoned out somewhere and missed it. Thanks :)
Image
This_Girl
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 am
Location: South Florida

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby crazyjat on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:24 pm

Ok. I have so many questions!!! First off, what exactly did Ig do to acquire his devil status? He seemed to be such a great guy. why would he become satin-like? also, confusing about the tree house. why exactly did they need the treehouse? did Ig actually go back to the treehouse when he was drunk and blow out the candles? forgive me if you think this seems like an obvious question--maybe Im being too literal.
crazyjat
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to HORNS


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest