HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

The devil is in the details.

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Katastrof on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Liked the book too :)
Though it kinda made me feel horrible for Ig+Merrin ever meeting Lee and that people thought the worst of him. (but honestly though - wouldn't you suspect the ex? And be pretty peeped over that he got away with it?) Especially since Lee didn't seem to show any interest in Ig whatsoever until Ig fangirled him for 'saving' him.
I was slightly confused about the treehouse, and then Lee's confession that it was a snake that saved Ig from drowning. It feels like everything about Ig was predestined. :roll:
Last edited by Katastrof on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katastrof

Postby grasking on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:55 pm

crazyjat wrote:Ok. I have so many questions!!! First off, what exactly did Ig do to acquire his devil status? He seemed to be such a great guy. why would he become satin-like? also, confusing about the tree house. why exactly did they need the treehouse? did Ig actually go back to the treehouse when he was drunk and blow out the candles? forgive me if you think this seems like an obvious question--maybe Im being too literal.

Ig burnt the treehouse down. Ig acquired his devil status in the treehouse. Reread Chapter 47.
grasking

Postby nicolewalton850 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 pm

I was actually getting a little of tired of my local librarian pushing books on me he thought I would like especially when it seemed he had no clue. But I must say (and can't wait to tell him) how thankful I am for the fact he finally hit the jackpot (or rather I did) with HORNS. I absolutely adored this book. I agree with Betsy_Boop regarding Merrin not being honest but kinda understood her reasons though I did not agree with them. I too only wish it were longer. I can't wait to get a hold of HSB. From what I understand it is a much different book but I think from here on out I will be reading anything he writes, much as I do his father.
nicolewalton850

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:26 pm

nicolewalton850 wrote:I was actually getting a little of tired of my local librarian pushing books on me he thought I would like especially when it seemed he had no clue. But I must say (and can't wait to tell him) how thankful I am for the fact he finally hit the jackpot (or rather I did) with HORNS. I absolutely adored this book. I agree with Betsy_Boop regarding Merrin not being honest but kinda understood her reasons though I did not agree with them. I too only wish it were longer. I can't wait to get a hold of HSB. From what I understand it is a much different book but I think from here on out I will be reading anything he writes, much as I do his father.

Glad you're on the bandwagon, nicole! Don't forget 20th Century Ghosts and Locke & Key! Both are every bit as good as Horns and HSB!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Indignation on Mon May 03, 2010 3:19 am

The novel was simply amazing.

The symbolism that he offered in each scene was as wonderful to the mind as it was elusive. I just put it down for the first time, and the ending itself, though a little contrite, was a perfect closure to a well written story.

The first thing I noticed within the novel (and I found this about midway through) was the progression of cycles within the book. It seemed like everything had a process all its own that had to find its own closure, and I absolutely -loved- watching all those journeys rise and ebb and ultimately find their own unique closure.

So many things to name in terms of the symbolism I saw in the book. From the sermon Ig gave to the Foundry serpents, from his baptism of fire with the Gremlin, from Lee's own awakening through the multi-colored gaze of the cat, from even Merrin's discovery of mortality becoming a catylist of so many things. Even Terry and Glenna, whom I'd chalked up as just a filler character, finds out that he has a journey all his own as well.

This being said, I read this thread and had some insights all my own... Firstly, did anyone else notice that most of the characters in the book had some sort of physical manifestation to support them?

1: Ig had the pitchfork (and the horns, obviously.) But he also had the Gremlin, which was the catalyst for so many things in the book.

2: Merrin had the cross necklace, which changed the worlds of Ig, Terry, and Lee alike. She also had the code, which brought her into play in all their lives. It was what awakened her awareness to Ig in particular.

3: Lee had the cat, which changed his own life (And I believe was really him, in a sense, waking him up from the fugue of innocence). Through that cat, he found his ethic and moral code in question. The question being, "What are morals? What is ethically okay, and what defines these things?" He also had Eric; his thrall, his acolyte, his vessel to enact his hate.

4: Glenna had "The Rabbit Tattoo." Though she didn't remember getting it, I saw it as a brand of her own sense of low self worth. Despite the masks of makeup she wore, she always hated herself. The tattoo was a brand of her own duality, that struggle of succumbing to that which she hated most or to become what she'd dreamed to be.

5: Even Lee had Hothouse and the trumpet. Despite his fame and the recognition and the loathing of his old life, the show was his catalyst for change, and the horn was his link to his former "Pre-L.A." life.

-----

It's simply an amazing book steeped in so many riddles. Admittedly, I'd had most of the principle characters pegged as harbingers of the apocolypse (Glenna as Famine, Eric/Lee as War, Ig as Desolace, Terry as Plague (And he had a horn for crying out loud, etc.) But I was so quickly corrected after a quarter of the way in.

Anyway, I'm rambling on and on and I cry your pardon. Fantastic novel, and I will be reading it again.
Will.
Indignation

Postby bornoffire on Mon May 10, 2010 3:04 pm

I just finished this book yesterday and have not been able to stop thinking about it or get it out of my system in the slightest bit...which is annoying because I can't really focus on work today. ha I don't know why, but this book has effected me in ways most books haven't in a long time.

First off I want to thank you Joe for being able to express certain emotions and experiences in a simple but completely perfect way to how it actually is that makes me feel like I am experiencing them. The humor and subtle insight into things is really excellent. You have a great eye for the details that matter. The timing of information being revealed and in the way it was done was spot on. A great way to unravel a mystery, especially when you know who the killer is early on. Also the use of objects to show meaning and connection was outstanding.

Something about the relationship between Ig and Merrin really touched and effected me in a way that I have been searching to describe for 2 days now but can't without getting emotional. I guess it's something I wish I had in my life but never got to experience really, even if I thought at the time it's what I thought it was...that perfect match and "soul mate" if you will....the person you literally can't live without. It really kind of bothered me in the middle thinking that she may be cheating on him or actually be wanted to be with Lee and had outgrown Ig. Finding out that she never really wanted to be apart from him, everything that was in the letter, and that they ended up being together in the treehouse in the end is what really got me..gave me some sort of hope I guess that it is possible to have that and that it can be something that is real. I don't mean that to sound corny or sappy....probably why I've had a hard time expressing my self about it.

I also really enjoyed the treehouse and it's existence being the solidification of their relationship in life and death. I know in some way we're meant to assume that it appeared for others before them but did it? Was it the universe providing it for them or was it a manifestation of their unique relationship?

I have more thoughts but am still digesting.
bornoffire

Postby bornoffire on Mon May 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Nevermind about the treehouse...
bornoffire

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue May 11, 2010 8:10 am

bornoffire wrote:Nevermind about the treehouse...

Why? I thought that was very insightful. A love so powerful that it can create a haven? It's a beautiful idea!

I think both you and Indignation wrote terrific reviews. Thank you! I love reading other people's thoughts...it brings up things that didn't occur to me and makes the story that much richer. And I relate to your thoughts about that one person, that soul mate and how difficult it is to find them. But don't give up. I do believe they're out there.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby bornoffire on Tue May 11, 2010 8:17 am

I mean I didn't realize the obvious signature of who owned it so that answered some questions I had about it. Also I wonder did it manifest itself out of the "need for sin" as Merrin said she was "horny as hell" when they found it and she was the one who rushed up into it. Also by entering the treehouse did that "bless" the relationship or potentially doom it? Just a thought....

I guess in my life those relationships that made me feel like Ig and Merrin's always ended the way it "ended" in the bar and the fact that Merrin actually did love and want him but did it for other reasons made me somewhat jealous in some way...wishing that there was a girl who really loved me that much and would be my partner forever and that would never come into question...never needing another. I also agree with you guys that I didn't liek that merrin would assume Ig couldn't handle it or wouldn't want to be there...for me it would be the exact opposite...I would want to be there right until the end.
bornoffire

Previous

Return to HORNS