HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

The devil is in the details.

HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:20 am

I've been waiting to start this till more people have read the book and I think it's now time. I know there are some folks who have comments and questions about the book and we need a place to talk about it. On a personal note, I have a lot of irons in the fire so I may not be around much this week, but I'll pop in here when I can.

I guess my first comment about Horns has to be that I really loved this book. (Duh!) The only negative thing I can say is that I wish it were longer. I didn't want to say goodbye to Iggy so I'm reading it again! And there are so many things to love about this book that it's really hard to know where to start. I guess I'll get the ball rolling by mentioning all the clever perks Joe put in the book. The morse code on the endpapers, Ig's initials, Merrin & Regan's name, Ig's car...etc. It's like Joe was leaving little gifts all through the book.

Gotta run, more later.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: HORNS...SPOILER THREAD!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Another thing...I loved this book because it caused me to experience every human emotion possible, from laughter to tears. Question...did anyone else find themselves ticked off at Merrin just a tiny bit for not being honest with Ig about her condition? Kinda ironic, considering once Ig got his horns everyone was being brutally honest with him. Don't get me wrong...I loved Merrin and understand her wanting to spare Ig the pain of watching her die. It's kind of noble really. But I can't help but think if she really knew him, she'd know he'd much rather be with her to the end than not.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Selena on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Finished it last night.

Still digesting.

It's hard to separate the first book from the second sometimes. When you've got a two-book author, you end up having expectations based on the book you first read, whether you realize it or not.

This one was NOT the car-chase HSB was. (literally... :) ) More slow-paced. (I read HSB in two days... It took me two weeks to read Horns. I could stop and start with this one - definitely different.) But there was more meat here to chew on. I'll be digesting for a while, I think.

Anyone else just feel compelled to utilize this icon ( :twisted: ) at least once when talking about this book? :mrgreen:
*~*~Selena~*~*
Selena

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:02 pm

It really was an almost entirely different experience. If I didn't know better I would never have guess the 2 were written by the same author. He's so versatile!

Yeah...I like the little demon icons! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Betsy_Boo

Postby Merrin on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Was a very emotional book for me, i loved all the interesting time lines and how it pieced all the characters together to shape how you feel about them, anger, elation, sympathy, i felt just about every emotion going.

It had extra significance to me because me and my girlfriend of almost 5 years have spent alot of the last 7 months apart because she has a year abroad, i think all the part about Ig and Merrin splitting up spoke to me ... i really can't wait to read it for a second time!
Merrin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Merrin wrote:Was a very emotional book for me, i loved all the interesting time lines and how it pieced all the characters together to shape how you feel about them, anger, elation, sympathy, i felt just about every emotion going.

It had extra significance to me because me and my girlfriend of almost 5 years have spent alot of the last 7 months apart because she has a year abroad, i think all the part about Ig and Merrin splitting up spoke to me ... i really can't wait to read it for a second time!

I know it's none of my biz, but I'm gonna say it anyway...being apart like that is sooooo hard, but just keep in touch and always be honest with each other. The bottom line of Horns (to me) is how important honesty is.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Merrin on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Its ok lol i don't mind, we are strong and will get through! As i said the book was just very emotional and meant alot to me, can't wait to get the other half to read it when she is back on April 3rd!

But i think your right, alot of what would have happened in the book would have been very different if people would have been honest and upfront. I need to read the book again to get to specifics but the most obvious one is with Merrin and the cancer, if only she had told Ig!
Merrin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Merrin wrote:Its ok lol i don't mind, we are strong and will get through! As i said the book was just very emotional and meant alot to me, can't wait to get the other half to read it when she is back on April 3rd!

But i think your right, alot of what would have happened in the book would have been very different if people would have been honest and upfront. I need to read the book again to get to specifics but the most obvious one is with Merrin and the cancer, if only she had told Ig!

My thoughts exactly! Although as I said, I understand her desire to let Ig "off the hook" and I do love her for that, but I also say she should've told him.
I'm really glad to hear that you and your other half (I love that term) are strong. Only a month away, eh? My feeling is, when you find that special one you hold on with all your might and do what it takes. That's the meaning of life to me. All the best to you!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Merrin on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Haha she's not only my other half but my better half :D

Merrin must have been in a very dark place to decide to not tell Ig what was going on, i feel it was quite selfish of her to not try and fight the cancer with Igs help because im sure thats what he would have done, help her fight it i mean. They could then have atleast finished things one way of another on better terms than the last drink in the bar!

I spose it the harsh pressures of life that sometimes make us make the easiest decisions!?
Merrin

Postby Selena on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:25 am

Sometimes it's hard to separate selfish and selfless... or good and evil for that matter.

Thanks for the reminder, Joe ;)
*~*~Selena~*~*
Selena

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Yeah, I thought it was kinda selfish. But it also just occurred to me that if Lee hadn't killed her they still might've had a chance to put it right. Gosh...he's just about the creepiest villain I've ever come across. True evil is often hard to recognize at first glance. In this case, it took years and a lot of damage done.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Merrin on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:51 pm

I also think that if Lee had told Ig the truth about him from the start, that he wasn't poor, so Ig didn't feel sorry for him there is a good chance that they wouldn't have become friends and Lee wouldn't have killed Merrin, but that is a big if and there would not have been the same story!
Merrin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Very true. You know I'm re-reading this now and really...Lee simply gives me the shivers even worse this time 'cause I know what he's all about. He deserves every bit what happened to him. Even more.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Patrick on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:33 am

HORNS is an absolutely fantastic story. I loved H-SB and HORNS was, in my opinion, far and away better. I am so pleased that Joe's second novel was even better than his first - so I'm already eager for his next novel.

Joe, you outdid yourself on this one. The switching between timelines and the changes in POV of the story all worked very well. The way in which you developed the characters and doled out the key information throughout the story kept me hooked throughout.

I absolutely love this book!
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 am

Me too, Patrick. I'm re-reading it now. Last night I got to Ig's sermon and I started crying. Geez...I had to put it down for a bit till I got myself together. I don't know how Joe does it!

And speaking of sermons, I would love to hear a theologian's thoughts about this book! Is there anyone out there who could way in on the theology of HORNS?

Betsy_Boo

Next

Return to HORNS