I have to be honest..........

The devil is in the details.

I have to be honest..........

Postby Spewbag on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 pm

I've never been moved enough to tell an any artist directly (I guess this is as directly as I'm going to get) how their art has effected me.Not because I haven't been moved in the past I have.....plenty of times. It's just that there haven't been many times in my life where I have felt overwhelmed, this book overwhelmed me. To say this book took me by surprise would be an understatement I mean Heart Shape box is a good book an enjoyable read.....a Fun read but this book played with my soul,my emotions..........Fuck, my god damned heart! I don't really want to mention your dad Joe because I think it's been played to death(although IMHO he is one of our quintessential 20th century authors) it's just that you took his character development gene and spliced it with some HGH (Human Growth Hormone) and made some formidable ,iconic prose. I have never ached for two individuals like I did for Ig and Merrin there scene in the bar left me thinking your either one of the greatest writers on earth or this very thing had happened to you......I'm kinda waying in on somewhere in the middle. God knows there are some shitty writers out there today(I believe you mention at least one of them in your book) so it's highly inspirational knowing that greatness is still rested at our feet amongst piles of tripe,unimaginative ideas and just pure laziness.

Thank you Joe, for writing such a fine story.

Spew

P.S.
Please write another book soon...
Spewbag
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: I have to be honest..........

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 am

Couldn't have said it better myself, Spew.
Welcome! :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Image
Betsy_Boo
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: I have to be honest..........

Postby LauraK on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:50 pm

*whew*

With your username and topic title I thought "Uh-uh....our first flamer..." :) Glad you proved me wrong!

Nicely put, spew! Hope to see you around...
Image

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK
 
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:04 am
Location: MI

Re: I have to be honest..........

Postby Spewbag on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:16 pm

LauraK wrote:*whew*

With your username and topic title I thought "Uh-uh....our first flamer..." :) Glad you proved me wrong!

Nicely put, spew! Hope to see you around...



lol.................Sorry about the user name but I've had it as a handle ever since the very first Zelda(First game to have a save function)
Spewbag
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: I have to be honest..........

Postby LauraK on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:51 pm

No need to apologize. :) I like "Spew."

So, are you close to any of the places Joe's touring? Maybe you can get your book signed. :D

2010 TOUR SCHEDULE:

February 16th (Tues) – PORTSMOUTH, NH • River Run Books. 7:00 PM.

February 17th (Wed) - MANCHESTER, NH • Barnes & Noble. 7:00 PM

February 18th (Thurs) – CONCORD, NH • Gibson’s Bookstore. 7:00 PM.

February 19th (Fri) – MILFORD, NH • Toadstool Bookshop. 6:30 PM.

February 21st (Sun) – SALEM, MA • Cornerstone Books. 3:00 PM.

February 22nd (Mon) – CAMBRIDGE, MA • Porter Square Books. 7:00 PM.

February 23rd (Tues) – SOUTH HADLEY, MA • Odyssey Bookshop. 7:00 PM.

February 24th (Wed) – NEW CANAAN, CT • New Canaan Library. 7:30 PM.

February 25th (Thurs) – NYC, NY • Barnes & Noble (82nd & Broadway). 7:00 PM.

February 26th (Fri) – HUNTINGTON, NY • Book Revue. 7:00 PM.

March 1st (Mon) – PITTSBURGH, PA • Joseph-Beth Booksellers. 7:00 PM. (with an inevitable unscheduled side trip to my personal mecca, the Monroeville Mall, where I’ll probably just wander around, you know, like all the other zombies)

March 2nd (Tues) – SEATTLE, WA • University Bookstore. 7:00 PM.

March 3rd (Wed) – PORTLAND, OR • Powell’s Books. 7:30 PM.

March 4th (Thurs) – SAN FRANCISCO, CA • Booksmith. 7:30 PM.

March 5th (Fri) – CORTE MADERA, CA • Book Passage. 7:00 PM.

March 8 (Mon) – EXETER, NH • Water Street Books. 7:00 PM.

March 9 (Tues) – SOUTH PORTLAND, ME • Borders. 7:00 PM.

March 10 (Wed) – BANGOR, ME • Borders. 6:00 PM.

He's heading to the UK as well...can't be bothered to fly over to MI, but across the ocean? P'shaw. No problem!
:wink: :lol:
Image

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK
 
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:04 am
Location: MI

Re: I have to be honest..........

Postby Spewbag on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:43 pm

LauraK wrote:No need to apologize. :) I like "Spew."

So, are you close to any of the places Joe's touring? Maybe you can get your book signed. :D

2010 TOUR SCHEDULE:

February 16th (Tues) – PORTSMOUTH, NH • River Run Books. 7:00 PM.

February 17th (Wed) - MANCHESTER, NH • Barnes & Noble. 7:00 PM

February 18th (Thurs) – CONCORD, NH • Gibson’s Bookstore. 7:00 PM.

February 19th (Fri) – MILFORD, NH • Toadstool Bookshop. 6:30 PM.

February 21st (Sun) – SALEM, MA • Cornerstone Books. 3:00 PM.

February 22nd (Mon) – CAMBRIDGE, MA • Porter Square Books. 7:00 PM.

February 23rd (Tues) – SOUTH HADLEY, MA • Odyssey Bookshop. 7:00 PM.

February 24th (Wed) – NEW CANAAN, CT • New Canaan Library. 7:30 PM.

February 25th (Thurs) – NYC, NY • Barnes & Noble (82nd & Broadway). 7:00 PM.

February 26th (Fri) – HUNTINGTON, NY • Book Revue. 7:00 PM.

March 1st (Mon) – PITTSBURGH, PA • Joseph-Beth Booksellers. 7:00 PM. (with an inevitable unscheduled side trip to my personal mecca, the Monroeville Mall, where I’ll probably just wander around, you know, like all the other zombies)

March 2nd (Tues) – SEATTLE, WA • University Bookstore. 7:00 PM.

March 3rd (Wed) – PORTLAND, OR • Powell’s Books. 7:30 PM.

March 4th (Thurs) – SAN FRANCISCO, CA • Booksmith. 7:30 PM.

March 5th (Fri) – CORTE MADERA, CA • Book Passage. 7:00 PM.

March 8 (Mon) – EXETER, NH • Water Street Books. 7:00 PM.

March 9 (Tues) – SOUTH PORTLAND, ME • Borders. 7:00 PM.

March 10 (Wed) – BANGOR, ME • Borders. 6:00 PM.

He's heading to the UK as well...can't be bothered to fly over to MI, but across the ocean? P'shaw. No problem!
:wink: :lol:



Where in MI are you?..............I'm in Traverse City
Spewbag
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: I have to be honest..........

Postby This_Girl on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 pm

I thought this was going to be mean, also!
So happy it wasn't it! I have to be careful what I read*....Hello Spew, your post here makes me want to ditch the current book, skip work, and send the kiddies to bed without dinner so I can get my eyes to work on it.
(*I haven't read it, yet -- so ashamed...but will start it VERY soon!)
Image
This_Girl
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 am
Location: South Florida

Re: I have to be honest..........

Postby Brian on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:35 am

I couldn't agree more, Spew - and was thinking of posting something very similar.

I'm 41 years old, and can never remember any book affecting me the way this one has (and is - I'm about 3/4 through the audiobook - an outstanding performance and recording BTW.) If

The "Pit" scene about half killed me, I was so churned up :cry: ... I 'heard' the first part of it driving to work, and could barely concentrate for hours. Later stuff hit harder still; I'm almost afraid to finish the audiobook.

Joe, you moved me man, made me think about - and rethink about - stuff in my own life even. You're totally tearin' my heart out, yet odd as it sounds, I gotta say - thanks!
Brian
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:25 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: I have to be honest..........

Postby LauraK on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 pm

I'm in Warren, spew. (Actually a very small city within Warren...)

And we're very welcoming and friendly here in MI....:D
Image

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK
 
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:04 am
Location: MI

Re: I have to be honest..........

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Brian wrote:I couldn't agree more, Spew - and was thinking of posting something very similar.

I'm 41 years old, and can never remember any book affecting me the way this one has (and is - I'm about 3/4 through the audiobook - an outstanding performance and recording BTW.) If

The "Pit" scene about half killed me, I was so churned up :cry: ... I 'heard' the first part of it driving to work, and could barely concentrate for hours. Later stuff hit harder still; I'm almost afraid to finish the audiobook.

Joe, you moved me man, made me think about - and rethink about - stuff in my own life even. You're totally tearin' my heart out, yet odd as it sounds, I gotta say - thanks!


Man...I gotta get that audio book. I'm still mad at myself for not ordering it! And Brian, the book did the same to me.
"We'll always have Paris."

Image
Betsy_Boo
 
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: North Carolina


Return to HORNS


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest