I was moved...

The devil is in the details.

I was moved...

Postby schatman on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:50 am

After reading and enjoying Joe's last 2 books, I just got HORNS on the nook and read it over 4 days. I was surprised by how much I actually FELT the characters, and how real the relationships were. Ig and Merrin's breakup was painful, and their story the very definition of a tragedy, while the spot-on presentation of Lee as a sociopath was chilling. I would call Joe a great WRITER, not just a great horror writer. Days later, I'm still thinking about the characters, which, to me, just shows how well they have been fleshed out.

On another note, in my mind I seem to picture Alicia Witt when I think of Merrin. I see David Hyde Pierce as Lee, though that's off given Lee's height and handsome features. I can't, however, picture Ig. Anyone have anything?
schatman

Re: I was moved...

Postby This_Girl on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:19 pm

:oops: I picture Ig similar to his creator, Joe Hill. I just did from the start regardless of what descriptions came afterwards. I guess I just worked them in.

And, Hi There.
This_Girl

Postby This_Girl on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:58 pm

*****************SPOILER*********************************
Kind of some specifics mentioned below - nothing big

Oh, and a hint of John Lennon. I *think* that was because of Ig & the Cd's and....I loved LOVED what he said about The Beatles and how you just can't start anywhere if you have never listened before (so unbelievable & foreign to me!) b/c it's like a story.....
This_Girl

Postby Doose333 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Days after reading Horns my wife actually walked out and we had a very similar break up... somehow it kind of helped just to know I was not the only one to go through this... then I realized these people were not real... but still real enough to help.
Doose333

Postby grasking on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:39 am

Doose333 wrote:Days after reading Horns my wife actually walked out and we had a very similar break up... somehow it kind of helped just to know I was not the only one to go through this... then I realized these people were not real... but still real enough to help.

You're getting divorced?
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:00 am

Doose333 wrote:Days after reading Horns my wife actually walked out and we had a very similar break up... somehow it kind of helped just to know I was not the only one to go through this... then I realized these people were not real... but still real enough to help.

Wow D...I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out for the best.
Speaking of that, I too was able to work through a painful issue because of HORNS, although not as serious as what you're going through. For me it was learning that even though life often times sucks, I can appreciate the good stuff even if it's only a memory. And unless I get Alzheimer's, I'll always have that memory.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 am

Oh...and welcome Schatman! I think most of us feel the way you do about HORNS! I'm kinda with TG...I saw Joe as Iggy.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Doose333 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:03 pm

grasking wrote:

You're getting divorced?

we have not gotten to the divorce yet but it is a separation for the time being.... The hard part is like for our friend Ig, it literally came out of nowhere, one day were happy everything is great, the next she is walking out the door saying, she is not in love with me any more...
Doose333

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Doose333 wrote:
grasking wrote:

You're getting divorced?

we have not gotten to the divorce yet but it is a separation for the time being.... The hard part is like for our friend Ig, it literally came out of nowhere, one day were happy everything is great, the next she is walking out the door saying, she is not in love with me any more...

She should have at least given you a clue. Geez. My feeling is you don't just walk out without trying everything.

Betsy_Boo

Postby grasking on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Doose333 wrote:
grasking wrote:

You're getting divorced?

Did she follow up that line with; "It's not you. It's me."?

I hope things work out the best for you.
grasking

Postby Doose333 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks for the support everyone... really she is dealing with a long standing unattended to Mental illness, I have been doing a ton of research into depression and I am sure she has a very serious very rough form of depression... now it's just a matter of her getting the help she needs.... Really I do appreciate all the support though, it helps alot right now.
Doose333

Postby Wanderingscribe on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:48 am

Doose, sorry to read about your situation. Life imitating art in that way is never good.

After a long absence from the board, I feel obliged to check in and report that Horns ripped me to shreds not once but twice. Ig and Merrin's breakup scene is something you feel rather than read, and once you've experienced it, you never forget.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

A few hundred pages later, when the wound has healed over but the scar is still there, Merrin's coded message to Ig opens it up and starts it bleeding all over again. All budding writers who seek to add emotional impact to their own work can learn a lot from these two sequences alone. If I'd been listening to Alice In Chains or Angelo Badalamenti's scores from Twin Peaks while reading them, I would now be in therapy for the rest of my life :).
"I had always thought of myself, despite my taste for ludicrous trousers and mickey-taking, as having some shred of creativity."

(Bruce Dickinson)
Wanderingscribe

Postby grasking on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:06 am

When I read the break up scene I was thinking Joe perfectly captured the insanity of women. Then I got to the letter, brilliant.

Now that I think of it. Two perfect illustrations why women are in league with Satan. :wink:
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:35 pm

grasking wrote:When I read the break up scene I was thinking Joe perfectly captured the insanity of women. Then I got to the letter, brilliant.

Now that I think of it. Two perfect illustrations why women are in league with Satan. :wink:

Naw...we're just emotionally complicated. Or do I mean constipated? :mrgreen:

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Is that Horatio Sanz in your sig gif, Grasking?

I loved Horns. Love love loved it. It wasn't trying to be one genre....it just was what it was. A great story that had within it some horror, some drama, some romance, and some action.

The characters were so real.....I'm going to do a re-read and see what will probably seem more obvious the second time around. I love how Joe could just move the story along and make me think one thing when actually something very different was going on.

It's kind of like the end of The Sixth Sense when it all fell into place as you tried to pick your jaw off the ground, muttering to yourself that you should have seen it!! Why didn't you see it?

I really need to re-read the end as I've read some different reviews here about what conclusions they came to in regards to where Merrin and Ig ended up. Now I'm not sure.

An author who can have you thinking about his book and its characters for days after finishing....having no real desire to start another book....is doing a helluva job.

Great job, Joe! Thanks for another wonderful read!

Doose, I'm really sorry for your breakup....I hope she'll get the help she needs.

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Next

Return to HORNS