Just finished Horns. My gut reactions

The devil is in the details.

Re: Just finished Horns. My gut reactions

Postby Brian on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:19 pm

As a side note, it has often amused me that in today's world, movies and TV shows have a VASTLY greater potential to stir up controversy than any other form of entertainment - such as books.

Consider Andrew Lloyd Webber's Evita - it casts an unflattering light on the life of Eva Peron, former first lady of Argentina, and a virtual demi-goddess to Argentinians. Evita was a successful stage musical for many years, but it raised scarcely an eyebrow - until it became a feature film. Then, there was considerable outrage and protest in Argentina - over a musical that was more than a decade old.

Another example: V For Vendetta was a politically-charged comic book series that originally was printed in the early 1980s -- before ANYONE named Bush had been President of the US. But then, when it became a movie in 2005, a lot of people immediately assumed its acid indictment of an Orwellian, authoritarian government (in a hypothetical England, yet) was really an attack on the administration of G.W. Bush.

There was a time long ago when novels could inspire controversy and anger, but these days it seems like they can generally fly below the radar - until they are made into films! ;-)
Brian

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:41 am

Yeah..."The Last Temptation of Christ" is another example. I believe the book was from the sixties! Do you think that it's because folks who read books are generally smarter than people who only see films? I mean, book readers understand the word "fiction" pretty well.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Brian on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:36 am

I'd guess it's at least partly just because there are just more people that see movies than read books. One of my best friends (and he is one of the smartest people I know) virtually never reads for pleasure, yet he sees lots of movies.

A book is a greater investment of time than watching a movie (or TV episode) and I think these days a lot of people are unwilling - and sometimes unable - to commit to that. (This is at least part of the issue of my non-reading friend Rob; he's a new father and both he and his wife work.)

I also think that becoming fully engrossed in a story you're reading (rather than watching) requires a greater capacity for concentration and imagination than a movie -- and frankly, these days I think a lot of people actually feel kind of put out if they have to imagine places and characters for themselves! "That's a filmmaker's job, to imagine it for me..."

Plus, when you are imagining the scenes for yourself, it implicitly reminds you that it's fiction. By contrast, when people watch a movie, I think that on some gut level they walk away feeling like they've witnessed real events.
Brian

Postby Merrin on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:39 am

Brian i guess that you recommend the audiobook then? I admit that i have never listened to a book before but i am very tempted to get the cd version of Horns!

Lots of good points been made in the thread showing that Horns is a very clever book where everything has a purpose! I just hope that if my girlfriend had cancer she would let me help, i find it very difficult to see why Merrin wouldn't have wanted Ig's help because there is no-one better than your other half in situations like that!
Merrin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:11 am

Yeah...I think if you love someone you WANT to be "burdened".

Betsy_Boo

Postby Brian on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:01 am

I do indeed recommend the Horns audiobook, very much. The narrator is very talented, and I absolutely now think of Ig as sounding just like him. <g> A good narrator can make or break an audiobook, and Fred Berman is perfect here.

He alters his voice just so for each speaker - which adds more than you might expect. He doesn't exaggerate or do goofy falsettos - yet each time he switches to a new character, you know immediately who is speaking. He basically gives Ig his own voice, but sounds *just* a bit different for Merrin, Lee, Terry, Glenna etc. He adds the right note of anger, or pain, or sadness (and in the flashbacks, occasional happiness!) to every scene.

I like audiobooks because I can enjoy them when my eyes are otherwise occupied, while driving or exercising, doing chores of any sort, etc. It really helps the time fly. If you have an iPod or other MP3 player, you can buy Horns (along with thousands of other titles) as a download from Audible.com. Check it out!
Brian

Postby Patrick on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:35 am

audible.com is great! I read HORNS the old-fashioned way, but at some point, I'll download the audio and give that a go.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Spewbag on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:58 pm

The AB takes it to the next level..............I agree about the Pit scene as well.
Spewbag

Postby Brian on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:55 am

Though I listened to the audiobook, the other day I went to the Horns page on JH's site and re-read the free exerpt - the first few pages. I had to laugh when I was reminded of the program Glenna was watching when Ig got out of bed...

She heard him and glanced his way, eyelids low, gaze disapproving, then returned her stare to the tube. “My Best Friend Is a Sociopath!” was the subject of today’s program. Flabby rednecks were getting ready to throw chairs at one another.
:lol: :twisted:
Brian

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 am

Brian wrote:Though I listened to the audiobook, the other day I went to the Horns page on JH's site and re-read the free exerpt - the first few pages. I had to laugh when I was reminded of the program Glenna was watching when Ig got out of bed...

She heard him and glanced his way, eyelids low, gaze disapproving, then returned her stare to the tube. “My Best Friend Is a Sociopath!” was the subject of today’s program. Flabby rednecks were getting ready to throw chairs at one another.
:lol: :twisted:

OMG! I didn't catch that! Thanks Brian! I love how Joe puts in all these hidden treats in his stories!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Doose333 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:20 pm

It is kind of like a good twilight zone episode, where there a clues sprinkled throughout but they don't jump out until a second go around.
Doose333

Postby Jeff on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:14 pm

This will be quick, was given a promotional copy last week to read because the person that got it didn't want to read it.
I readc it to tell her what I think, I read a lot she reads more and works in a book store.
I knew nothing about the book or author when I was given the book. Here comes the review now...
I hated it, I started reading it in the mall waiting for my wife while she shopped. Did about 75 pages and was enjoying it because it sort of reminded me of Christopher Moore and was excited, that stopped right after about 75 pages.
When I was about 100 pages from the end I was told he was Stephen King's son, explains alot. At least the book wasn't 1100 pages with nothing happening, to be honest I've only read 275 pages of "Under the dome" and nothing has happened.
Would not recommend this to anybody but customers of Coles put it in the top 30, go figure. I wouldn't read another of his novels. Same as his mother, tried to read her first novel and couldn't do it.
Remember folks this is just my humble opinion, in Quebec they say "A chaque une son gout"
Jeff

Postby Merrin on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:32 am

Im very dissapointed with your review Jeff and dissagree completly but your right that its just an opinion and Joe will never be able to please everyone!
Merrin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:34 am

Ditto what Merrin said. HORNS is not the roller coaster ride that HEART SHAPED BOX was...it was more a character/philosophical/love story. Jeff...you should give HSB a try. It might be more your cup o tea.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Brian on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:40 am

Can't please everyone, I guess!
Brian

PreviousNext

Return to HORNS