Just finished Horns. My gut reactions

The devil is in the details.

Re: Just finished Horns. My gut reactions

Postby Doose333 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:09 pm

At least Jeff is willing to say it is just his opinion.
Doose333

Postby Brian on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:36 pm

And he is welcome to it, absolutely. Sorry to hear he 'hated' it though. It is no fun to slog through something that you find unbearable just because someone asked you to.

Speaking just for myself, I dislike the casual hyperbole that I see so often on the internet. When I offer opinions, I try to use the word "hate" (as well as "love") judiciously, and only for something I feel pretty strongly about.

For instance, the first time I watched "Grey's Anatomy" I was terribly disappointed -- I was hoping for a medical drama ala ER, not something closer to a soap opera.

I have not watched it again; still when I commented online I avoided saying that I "hated" it -- because it just wasn't so. I felt no hatred toward the program, it simply wasn't a show that interested me.

By contrast, all the time I see people say online that they "hated" an episode of some TV show - but they're still planning to tune in next week! Seems to me the word gets overused.

As with Jeff's post -- this post is simply my opinion. :wink:
Brian

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:45 pm

I agree with you Brian. I do respect Jeff's opinion, but to say he "hated" it was a bit extreme. I noted that he is a fan of Christopher Moore. I read LAMB and really liked it, but everything else I tried to read of CM's I just didn't care for (never got past the first 30 pages). It is all really just what appeals to you...I wish Jeff would come back and tell us what he thought of Joe's writing. Not just the story. There's no way he could come back and say HORNS wasn't well written.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Doose333 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Too true, Love and Hate are so over used. I know way too many people that casually say i love you to all there friends, I feel like Love and Hate have kind of lost there meaning, not that they can't be meaningful they just don't have the same impact they used to.
Doose333

Previous

Return to HORNS