20th Century Ghost

Postby Nerak on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:42 pm

Hey Patrick... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

here's looking at you
Nerak

Postby Patrick on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:46 pm

Nerak wrote:Hey Patrick... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

here's looking at you

aaaiiieeee!

Last edited by Patrick on Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:34 pm

Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right,
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs,
Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you.

reservoir smilies? hahahaoheoheoeheheheheeehahaha! You guys are killing me today.
Dana_Jean

Postby sybil on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:48 am

pssst, DJ - it's joekers.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:49 am

Loved My Father's Mask. Freaky and uber-creepy. (What was up with those markings all over the dad's skin? The answer can't be good.)

I couldn't start another story after that one. I had to take a couple days off. This is the one that should become known as a classic and get reprinted in "best of" anthologies 30 years down the line.

Abraham's Boys, Voluntary Committal and The Cape are very good horror stories also.

"20th Century Ghost" has a great ending. This story and "Pop Art" are very touching.

(Abraham's Boys is probably better if you haven't seen the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula or read the novel already. The Van Helsing character is drastically changed in Joe Hill's story.)
Paddedcell

Postby Patrick on Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:35 pm

Having never seen nor read Bram Stoker's Dracula, I had no preconceived notions of Van Helsing. I thought Abraham's Boys was a great story.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby grasking on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Yeah, I found "My Father's Mask" to be creepy. I couldn't help but think of Kelly Link when reading it.
grasking

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:29 am

I was cruising around, looking to see if Joe had granted any recent interviews and ran into one he did December 12, 2005 for The Mumpsimus.

In it he states:

A lot of the people I write about are not living the lives they want to be living. They've painted themselves into corners. They're their own worst enemies. They drive away the people who want to help them, burn bridges, blow off their futures. And if they do happen to be happy, or content, or lucky, then they're willing to do awful things to stay that way. I don't mean to say that all my characters are anti-heroes, or villains. That's a kind of black-and-white thinking I try to avoid. I mean they're in jeopardy. I like to write about people who are morally or spiritually or psychologically adrift, because right from the start I'm rooting for them to make themselves well, to find their way out of the hole they've dug for themselves. Some of them don't, but I always hope.

No wonder I like Joe's writing so much. I see myself there.
Dana_Jean

Postby sybil on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:21 pm

wow - that's interesting, DJ.
janis the joeker
sybil

Previous

Return to Joe Hill Message Board