20th Century Ghost

20th Century Ghost

Postby suzyj555 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 pm

Well I have it, had to wait a bit for Shocklines to get it back in stock so I am hoping to start reading it soon. I have heard nothing but praise on the RLD and Shocklines boards. Has anyone else already read it?
Suzy
suzyj555

Postby Tod_Clark on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:06 pm

Suzy, I just received my copy of 20th CENTURY GHOSTS this week from Matt as well. I plan to read 20th CENTURY GHOSTS next after I finish CHRONICLES OF THE APOCALYPSE: SPECIES by Michael McBride which is a huge book.
Tod_Clark

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:14 pm

I've read it and couldn't have been more blown away at the quality of writing found in each and every story. I know I keep saying this, but the sensory descriptions were just amazing. I've never read anyone better. POP ART was my favorite in the book. But all of them were good. Not one entry disappointed me. Not one. Fantastic stuff!
Dana_Jean

Postby swintek on Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:26 pm

Hi Joe & everybody!

As a long time fan of "horror" fiction, I must say that since the heyday of the late 80's, early 90's, there really hasn't been much that has grabbed me like a lot of those writers/stories did "back in the day".

The only "new guy" who has generated the same excitement since then has been Neil Gaiman (and I wouldn't really call him a "horror writer", although he certainly has that element in his arsenal). I picked up 20th Century Ghosts really on a whim, and just a little bit of an unexplainable good juju vibe that seemed to come off of it for me. I pick up a lot of books the same way, though (don't we all?) and rarely finish them. This book grabbed me by the throat, made me worry about people I'd never met before, and warmed my heart all at the same time. Jesus, can you ask anything more of fiction?

It's the best book I've read in a long, long time (once again, the only other book from last year that I loved as much- if not more- is Gaiman's collection "Fragile Things"- read it now- it's really wonderful).

Thanks for the truly great stories, Joe. Can't wait for the novel!

Ron Swintek
swintek

Postby joe_hill on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:32 am

Ron,

Hey, thanks a lot for the kind words. I'm glad you had so much fun with the collection, and here's hoping you enjoy the novel just as well. Yeah, FRAGILE THINGS is a beaut... the only collection I've ever read that comes across like a page-turner. There's one story, "Bitter Grounds," that I've thought about every day since I read it. That one was definitely horror - very unsettling stuff.
joe_hill
Site Admin

It Rocks

Postby Nerak on Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Can't begin to say enough about this collection.
Kept me up at night.
Made me bawl like a baby.
Made my skin crawl.
Made me want more more more.

Kudos, Joe!

Can't wait to find out what the future holds for you.

Karen
Nerak

20th C G

Postby mylife4usk on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm still in the process of reading this. I think my favorite thus far is My Father's Mask. It was VERY intriguing but I wish it were longer!

Can't wait to see what H-S B has in store. 8)
Joe Hill's, uh...#1 fan, CJ

"If I'm in a buttload of pain, I need a buttload of pills."
Gregory House, Finding Judas episode
mylife4usk

Postby swintek on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:22 pm

Not to derail the thread here, but, yeah, I'm in total agreement re: Bitter Grounds from the Gaiman collection. That was one killer story. Also effective for me was Closing Time. Gave me a good shiver at the end, and then again when I read his notes on it where he says everybody would be surprised at how much of it was actually true!

Back to our regular scheduled programing: as much as I love ALL the stories in GHOSTS, Pop Art has really resonated- jeez, half a year after I read it! And if someone would have described the story to me first- I never would have bothered reading it. That kind of bugs me; what ELSE am I missing out on?

Ron
swintek

Postby Dolan on Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:33 pm

My favorite story from the collection was "Pop Art."

When I first started reading it - I didnt have much hope in the story based...well mainly on its character. But by the last sentence, I had a tear in my eye.

Make sure you read it!
Dolan

Postby Angie on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:47 pm

"Pop Art" was my favorite, too. It had me right in the beginning. It seemed so natural, so believable, even though it was about something very unbelievable.
Angie

Pop Art

Postby mylife4usk on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:05 pm

Pop Art for me was too unbelievable. I couldn't make sense of it. lol. Oh well, we can't all agree.

I finished the book finally and I think Voluntary Committal was my favorite. Love that whole other worlds theme!

"I believe there's other worlds than these, no, this is not the last you'll see of me" --NowisNow
Joe Hill's, uh...#1 fan, CJ

"If I'm in a buttload of pain, I need a buttload of pills."
Gregory House, Finding Judas episode
mylife4usk

Re: Pop Art

Postby Dolan on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:16 pm

mylife4usk wrote:Pop Art for me was too unbelievable. I couldn't make sense of it. lol. Oh well, we can't all agree.

You have to take the character out of the context of what he really is...and yet understand his problem. I dunno - sounds easier than it is.

But yeah, we wont always agree...but I just found that story so touching.
Dolan

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:40 pm

Laura Lee over on the Powell's "leave a message area" had a good question.

Now that HSB is getting such rave reviews, will 20th Century Ghost be reprinted and stocked in our local book stores? And if so, when?

If this has already been answered, could someone direct me to the answer? Thanks
Dana_Jean

Postby joe_hill on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:25 am

William Morrow has the US rights to 20th Century Ghosts, and they'll be releasing the book sometime down the road. But they haven't set a publication date yet, and I think their plans for the collection are still in the formative stages.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby Dolan on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:48 pm

joe_hill wrote:William Morrow has the US rights to 20th Century Ghosts, and they'll be releasing the book sometime down the road. But they haven't set a publication date yet, and I think their plans for the collection are still in the formative stages.

Joe - what are your thoughts on limited editions? Do you like doing them or is it more to help publishing houses?

Also - do you know if WM will be doing an American limited edition of Ghosts?
Dolan

Next

Return to Joe Hill Message Board