20th Century Ghosts - October 2007 trade edition

20th Century Ghosts - October 2007 trade edition

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:34 am

This is a question best answered by Joe himself:

I had the pleasure of meeting Joe at the UK FantasyCon last September where - thankfully :D ! - I had the good sense to pick up one of the 500 copy, non-slipcased signed editions of 20th Century Ghosts for £20 (recently the 500 copy edition sold on eBay.co.uk for over £150 and a few days ago a copy of one of the 200 deluxe slipcased editions - the number being sold was number 1 of 200! - went for £970, or just shy of $2,000 :shock: !!!)

The PS Publishing website notes that the deluxe edition contains extra material and I was wondering Joe if the forthcoming October reprint will have this extra material, or will it simply include the contents of the ordinary PS hardcover and paperback editions?

Both Amazon sites (UK and US) are confusing in this regard: the US site lists the forthcoming reprint as being 320 pages, whereas the UK site states 448 pages. Even allowing for different typefaces, etc. there is a huge anomaly here.
Paul_Campbell

Postby joe_hill on Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:09 am

Paul,

Well, don't put too much stock in any of the book data on Amazon just yet. Any information they have is strictly preliminary. Also, the UK edition will be typeset one way and the US edition will be typeset another. So they could differ very widely in terms of page count and still have exactly the same contents.

To answer the other part of your question: the bonus material that was in PS Publishing's slipcased edition will not be a part of the Morrow or Gollancz publications. But the new editions of the book will (probably) include a story called "Bobby Conroy Comes Back From The Dead," which was always supposed to be in the book. Truth is, I meddled with it too long, and missed my deadline, and it got left on the cutting room floor. It wound up in POSTSCRIPTS 5 instead.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:47 am

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your super-fast reply!

Glad to hear "Bobby..." will be included in the new edition, although sad that I won't have the pleasure of reading "The Saved" (any chance you could kinda sorta maybe please post it on your website? ;->)

Finished H-SB this morning and must say that you have one incredible stength that your dad also has:

An invisible style.

Harlan Ellison compares your dad's way of writing to that of Fred Astaire's dancing, in that it seems so effortless and therefore easy to imitate - till you try it for yourself and fall flat on your ass!

You're a storyteller first and foremost and as such you do not allow your fiction to be clouded by unnecessary pseudo-literary purple prose. Instead it's stripped bare, minus all bells and whistles, ribbons and garlands. It's the characters that matter, and the story which grows out from those characters.

By the way Joe, any chance of you doing a 'hat-trick' and coming over to FantasyCon again this year? (Same venue and dates as last year).
Paul_Campbell

Postby Patrick on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:13 pm

joe_hill wrote:... But the new editions of the book will (probably) include a story called "Bobby Conroy Comes Back From The Dead," which was always supposed to be in the book. Truth is, I meddled with it too long, and missed my deadline, and it got left on the cutting room floor. It wound up in POSTSCRIPTS 5 instead.

I have POSTSCRIPTS 5. It's a great story.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby sybil on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:00 am

i just started it this morning. (the cover art on this is seriously twisted!)
janis the joeker
sybil

Return to Joe Hill Message Board