Better Than Home giveaway

Postby LauraK on Fri May 25, 2007 2:37 pm

Joe-

I read Better Than Home and I can tell I'm going to be thinking about it for a while. It hits close to home as my son has high-functioning Asperger's and also has some sensory issues, though not as bad as Homer's. I loved him- and the way his Dad accepted him and made him feel at home, wherever they were.

Like the judge said, I did want to read more.

Thanks-

LK

PS- is the cover art concept, photoshopping, layout and photography done by our Shane? :)

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby justme on Fri May 25, 2007 2:43 pm

Now, I'm bummed, I've missed out by being a day late again. Story of my life! I can't wait to read it, if I can ever get it, especially after reading your post Laura. My son is autistic (not high-functioning) and has many sensory issues. Where can one buy this, or can you, for a reasonable price? If anyone knows I would appreciate it! Thanks
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. - From the Old Astronomer to his pupil - Sarah Williams
justme

Postby Jane on Fri May 25, 2007 2:45 pm

wow great work, I'm a little stunned, wished it was longer!

Shane, nice job too, it's a lovely piece of work!
Jane

Postby val04463 on Fri May 25, 2007 3:22 pm

Dana Jean wrote:I hope mine comes today!!!! I look for it everyday. Even though he just sent it Monday? I looked Monday too.

I'm also still watching for my Postscripts.

Wow. That took a lot of energy. I better rest.

Once I ordered a book at Amazon on Sunday and it came on Monday....
val04463

Postby Janice on Fri May 25, 2007 3:48 pm

Woo hoo! Got mine today, too! Now I have something to read when I should be working...

Thanks, Joe! And personalizing it - that was pretty damn thoughtful.

Good work on the cover art, too, Shane. You really should start up a site of your own so we can check out more of your work.

*Ahem*
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby LauraK on Fri May 25, 2007 4:41 pm

Nothing is said in the story about what Homer "has," although if Joe would like to elaborate on that I'd be really interested. :)

LK
Last edited by LauraK on Fri May 25, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri May 25, 2007 5:26 pm

edit
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana_Jean

Postby Samoa_Girl on Fri May 25, 2007 7:09 pm

Gah, I really need to check my mail!!! Although, I live way over on the other side of the US so it may take a few extra days. I am so jealous! But, I can't wait....
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby justme on Fri May 25, 2007 7:37 pm

LauraK wrote:Nothing is said in the story about what Homer "has," although if Joe would like to elaborate on that I'd be really interested. :)

LK

Me, too
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. - From the Old Astronomer to his pupil - Sarah Williams
justme

Postby john_cairns on Tue May 29, 2007 6:49 am

thank's joe! got mine today, brilliant!! :D
dock-a-loodle-fod
cyril the dyslexic cockerel
john_cairns

Postby Samoa_Girl on Tue May 29, 2007 1:44 pm

poisonlily wrote:Waaaahhhh! I had not one, but two long weekends to hold up my delivery. I hope it comes soon!!! :(

You aren't the only one, Lily! I only had one holiday to worry about, but our postal service is a crap-shoot. My bills take no time, but when I want something in the mail it's never here!! :wink:
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby Paul_Campbell on Wed May 30, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi Joe!

Got mine yesterday - thanks so very much, you're a gentleman! :D

Although I picked up 20th Century Ghosts last September when you were over at Fantasycon in Nottingham, England I've only - so far! - dipped into the collection and read the odd story here and there.

I hadn't read "Better Than Home" yet - but have done so now!

I finished it this evening at the dinner table, chapbook held before me in one hand whilst trying to guide precariously balanced food on a fork in the other hand towards my mouth, all the while my wife sitting across from me rolling her eyes.

"You're gonna splash gravy on that book, you know," she said.

"No I'm not."

SPLAT!

"See?" I said. "Missed."

Although this very story is in your collection from PS Publishers it was nice to read it in its original format and presentation. A lovely, tender little story with deceptively simple dialogue, like the poignant moment near the end where Homer's playing the game of finding objects on his father's list and the boy says, after taking time out and sharing a moment of silence on the bleachers with his dad,

"Well, I better get back to it. I've almost found everything I'm looking for."

"Lucky you," he tells me.

His father treats his son as someone real and unique, his son's troubles making him who he is: something to accept and work around.

The boy's mother and aunt treat him as an exasperating hindrance; something to to parceled up and shipped out to a special school. "They got a category for this," they seem to say. "Look they've even got a place for him! Let's send him there, that's what we pay our tax dollars for after all."

But this is also a deeply funny story, as witness the wonderful cadence of dialogue near the beginning between Homer and Dr. Faber:

"Todd Dickey, who plays third base for us? He ate a squirrel once," I say. "For a thousand dollars. [...] He says people where he's from just eat them."

Dr Faber stares at me dumbly, his round pleasant face struck blank with disgust. "Where's he from?"

"Minnesota. Pretty much everyone there lives on squirrel. That's what Todd says. That way they have more money for the important things at the supermarket - like beer and lottery tickets."

"He ate it raw?"

"Oh no. He fried it. With canned chili. He said it was the easiest money he ever made."

Thanks again for this Joe - it was extremely generous of you!
Paul_Campbell

Postby Samoa_Girl on Thu May 31, 2007 4:20 pm

I finally checked my mail lastnight and it was there. I read it just moments ago. I liked the story and wish there was more to read. I love the chapbook and its art work. I love how his dad treated him like a normal child. He seemed to have patience with him unlike his mother and aunt. Thanks so much Joe. I will place this right next to HSB, 20CG, and the many more to come!!! :D
Samoa_Girl

Postby Shane on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:38 pm

LauraK wrote:PS- is the cover art concept, photoshopping, layout and photography done by our Shane? :)

Jane wrote:Shane, nice job too, it's a lovely piece of work!

Janice wrote:Good work on the cover art, too, Shane. You really should start up a site of your own so we can check out more of your work.

Thanks ladies... yeah, I'm the Shane that's mentioned in the inside of that one. I'm glad you liked the look of it.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby LauraK on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:16 pm

LauraK wrote:Nothing is said in the story about what Homer "has," although if Joe would like to elaborate on that I'd be really interested. :)

LK

:?: Purty-please?

LK

LauraK

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board