HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..................

Postby KingoftheHill on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:03 pm

That's a VERY respectible job. I know people who work health care, home care, etc. It's tough work. And you were right to leave that pompous group at your last job. Some people are just that way! :evil:

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby KingoftheHill on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:20 pm

Hmmm, that's just wrong on many levels. All I can think is that the daughter is so stressed, she's missing things that are obvious.

I hope your RC is on your side and gets you some more work....

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:36 pm

edit
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana_Jean

Postby ladystardust214 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:21 pm

That's really nice lily!

I've been away at my New York Wing Civil Air Patrol Encampment, and it was FUN! The simplest was I can think to describe it is as boot camp. But don't get me wrong - I LOVED it! I got to ride in a C-130, and fly a little 4-seater (I've already done that before, though) and I built a picnic table (don't ask). It was SOOOOO great, and I made a bunch of friends from all around the state.
ladystardust214

Postby PsychicAlden on Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:16 pm

Hellloooo, back atcha, everybody. :)
Summer is winding down much too quickly for me. It's been a whirlwind of activity---weddings, commitment ceremonies, doctor visits for hubby, working way too hard for my tastes---and I don't feel I've had much of a break at all. Now the miserable heat of summer has truly set in, here in the Ozarks. The forecast for the next week places temps in the 100+ range, no relief in sight. :cry:
I'll be teaching a couple of courses (as an adjunct instructor) during the fall semester, at a local college. Classes start Aug 20th. Sure won't leave much time for R & R, but I'm kinda excited about it.
Won't have a chance to read for pleasure much, which really chaps my hide. :x Was planning to become an HP reader til I got the call about teaching. ~Sigh~ Well, there's always the long, cold winter to look forward to, I suppose.
Stay cool, everyone.
The door opens inward...
PsychicAlden

Postby Janice on Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:19 pm

PsychicAlden!! Glad to see ya back!! Though it sucks that you won't have as much time to get reading done, I think it's pretty cool that you're teaching. You didn't specify what you were going to be teaching, though? So?? Don't leave me hanging here!
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby KingoftheHill on Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:46 pm

Good to see you again Alden. I'm planning to become an HP reader this year. Soon, I hope!!!

Sounds like you're busy. And quite warm!!! :?

KingoftheHill

Postby PsychicAlden on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:51 pm

::waves at Janice & KingoftheHill::
Acckk! Classes begin Monday and I'm as prepared as I'm gonna be, I reckon. Not!
Anyway, the courses I'm teaching are a 'career opps in mass comm' section, which is college-ese for 'freshman orientation' for mass comm majors, and a section of 'psych & adjustment'. The psych class is specifically geared for students on academic probation; as a requirement of said probation, students must pass the course, while maintaining an overall 2.0 GPA for the semester to qualify for continued enrollment.
Now, I'm a taskmaster and make my students work, regardless of their extra-curricular activities or involvement in athletics. (I'm not a popular gal with the coaches, fer sure!) When I say 'drop and give me 500', I expect a 500 word essay, toot suite, with zero grammatical errors and cohesive sentence structure. No excuses!
Cell phones are a huge no-no in my classroom. Same thing goes for Ipods or MP3 players. No food, or drinks, except bottled water. No coming to class unprepared, sans textbook, pen or paper. Miss 3 classes and you're out, period. Really makes the students mad when they get my 'Alden's Rules' handouts on the first day of class! I don't waste their time, and I demand the same from them.
I'm madly digging thru my closet in search of bohemian duds to wear to class...a long skirt to hide the chigger bites on my ankles would do nicely, I think.
The door opens inward...
PsychicAlden

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:49 pm

edit.
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana_Jean

Postby PsychicAlden on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:30 pm

Dana, it took me 15 years to finish college and get a degree! I didn't even start my journey into 'higher education' til I was 26, newly divorced with 3 small children. Spent 2 yrs. at a jr. college, planned to transfer to a 4 yr. school afterwards, but it just didn't work out. Fast forward 11 years. Enrolled in classes part-time so I could continue to work full-time. And 3 yrs. later, I finally completed my BA. Took a few more classes here & there, got my teaching credentials and never used them til 2 yrs. ago. I too love learning.
This is my 3rd semester as an adjunct instructor, 1st semester at this particular institution. I enjoy it but cannot imagine teaching full-time. I prefer to keep my options open and support myself & hubby with my 'other' work. Guess I can attribute that attitude to being tied down to a job and/or career and feeling stifled for most of my adult life!
Gotta go finish ironing my wardrobe for the week. Maybe I should pack a lunch too.
The door opens inward...
PsychicAlden

Postby LauraK on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:59 pm

I admire what you've done, Alden. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby PsychicAlden on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:55 pm

Aw shucks, Laura. :oops: Twernt nuthin much. Just the way it all turned out, and I'm okay with it. I won't lie and say the path was smooth---it was anything but---in spite of the side journeys and pitfalls, here I am!

Now won't my career opps students be surprised tomorrow when I give them their first homework assignment---a brief essay entitled 'What I Want to Be When I Grow Up'. (Helps me figure out where their heads are)

My psych class attendees will be required to stand before the class and explain why they ended up in this course. Later, I'll assign them a little light reading, only 2 chapters. Then I'll hit 'em with a pop quiz on Friday. The sooner they all figure out I'm not one of those legendary 'easy' instructors, the better off they'll be.

So what's everyone been up to??
The door opens inward...
PsychicAlden

Postby PsychicAlden on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:14 pm

Well, my first week of classes went well enough---but I am exhausted. :cry: Just finished grading those test papers from Friday and am appalled at the lack of effort from my students.

On a lighter note....am so looking forward to next weekend. My hubby and I will travel to visit my niece & her family a couple of hours away. It'll be nice to relax and get away for a couple of days.
The door opens inward...
PsychicAlden

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board