Joe Hill murdered my great grandfather in Utah

Postby aaron2010 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:45 am

awwwww

group hug

What's in a Name???

Postby kellymarie on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:56 am

I cannot fathom the hurt the family of the murdered went through in the past and the residual grief in the present.
That Joe is perpetuating the Myth of the railroaded 60's radical by using "his" name is ridiculous.
We are who we are and should be judged on our own merit and not by what our parents named us or what we choose to call ourselves.
From what I have seen and read, our Joe is an honest man. And like his father, a gifted writer. We should celebrate that, and lose the animosity. There is nothing to be gained by holding on to bitterness and hatred.
"Always do right, this will satisfy some and astonish the rest."
There are nights when the Wolves are silent and only the Moon Howls.
George Carlin
kellymarie

Postby sybil on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:17 am

well, i'm sorry for your loss, however it happened, but i don't see why you object to a simple name...i'm sure there are many joe hill's out there. in fact, when i first went looking for "twentieth century ghosts" there was even another author named joe hill.

jodi - i thought that was pretty funny, but sorry about your mom! that can't make life fun. i got your point, too.

a rose by any other name.....

so janice...why did your folks spell your name that way if you're named after joplin?
sybil

Postby Janice on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:42 pm

They didn't have 'Hooked on Phonics' back in the stone age.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:47 pm

OWWWWCH!! I think I'll go watch "House" and try to forget how old I am!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby jodi on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:59 pm

Thanks Sybil and life wasn't too bad, I had a great dad!!! It made me really appreciate my husband and children. :D
Good things can sometimes come from bad experiences (sp, i no it is rong), right? :)
jodi

Postby Janice on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:32 pm

Actually, you spelled it right! Stop underestimating yourself, slick.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby sybil on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:36 am

u dint spel it rong.

yup - good for you for finding the silver lining!
sybil

Postby val04463 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:58 pm

I wonder how many Charlie Mansons there are out there? I know a David Hinkley. There are teens in the school I teach at (Substitute), (Or is that "At which I teach?"), who have the names of famous or infamous people and it does give them a little edge in introductions, but a name is a name...not a philosophy!
val04463

Postby Jane on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:49 pm

val04463 wrote: but a name is a name...not a philosophy!

hear hear val, gosh why all the hulabaloo anyways? sheesh!

Elaine, ever hear of the butterfly effect? before you start blaming your family's tragedies on Joe who just happens to have the same name as your family's historical nemesis, try to contemplate the effect YOUR existence may have on this world! your bitterness and vitriol are felt by everyone around you, of that I'm certain!

I need to go wash my hands, this thread is ucky
Jane

Postby AuntyNay on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:02 pm

It just his name. His parents gave it to him. He isn't responsible for the legacy of the other Joe Hill.

Elaine that is sad about your family, but that was a different man. Joe isn't paying homage to him in anyway buy using the name given to him.
AuntyNay

Postby ElaineMorrison on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 pm

The publicity in press releases of this author ( that I have read ) make reference to the name of Joe Hill and his execution - I think that idea should be revisited - with full knowledge that Joe Hill was a cold blooded murderer. Is that a legacy to be weaving a web into? There is a philosophical responsibility for delving into the meaning of utilizing it as a pen name - what it will purport in mythology - what kind of a message is it to embrace it? As words are our power - I just ask you to reflect...Elaine
ElaineMorrison

Postby Patrick on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:06 am

ElaineMorrison wrote:The publicity in press releases of this author ( that I have read ) make reference to the name of Joe Hill and his execution - I think that idea should be revisited - with full knowledge that Joe Hill was a cold blooded murderer. Is that a legacy to be weaving a web into? There is a philosophical responsibility for delving into the meaning of utilizing it as a pen name - what it will purport in mythology - what kind of a message is it to embrace it? As words are our power - I just ask you to reflect...Elaine

Actually I can see your point about all the press seeming to glamorize the "prior" Joe Hill, and how that might irk you - given your family's history. The name connection really is retold in every story in the press.

That said, I see no reason for Joe to change his publishing name. It is a shortened version of his full legal name, and it serves as a reminder that he wants to be judged in his own right rather than simply by the connection to his famous father.

Hopefully after he publishes another book or so, all the hype on two subjects will tone down: (1) the "prior" Joe Hill; and (2) his famous writing family.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby LauraK on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:57 am

ElaineMorrison wrote:The publicity in press releases of this author ( that I have read ) make reference to the name of Joe Hill and his execution - I think that idea should be revisited - with full knowledge that Joe Hill was a cold blooded murderer. Is that a legacy to be weaving a web into? There is a philosophical responsibility for delving into the meaning of utilizing it as a pen name - what it will purport in mythology - what kind of a message is it to embrace it? As words are our power - I just ask you to reflect...Elaine

If anything, I think you should get off THIS Joe Hill's back and get out there yourself and try to publicize your own beliefs about the prior Joe Hill.

What purpose does coming here and yelling that "Joe Hill murdered my Great-Grandfather..." serve?

Like Joe himself said- his parents were not glorifying Joe Hill- they liked the Joan Baez song and were behind the labor movement.

If anyone reads that Joseph Hillstrom King was named after the Joe Hill in the Joan Baez song and they do any reading on the man's life- won't they then be able to come to their own conclusion as to what happened?

I have been researching it myself- thanks to this thread- and I have my own opinion.

As for our Joe "utilizing it as a pen name?" He's not doing anything wrong- it IS HIS NAME.

Like others have said- there are people in this world with the same names as killers- does that make them evil? Does it mean they're furthering that killer's beliefs simply by using the name they were given at birth?

No. Any who believes that to be the case has a problem.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, so are we. This was mine.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby sybil on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:19 am

any of you milers think that elaine's last post sounds a bit like she-who-must-not-be-named on a "good" day? LK - i couldn't have said it better, thank you.
sybil

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board