Joe Hill murdered my great grandfather in Utah

Postby LauraK on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:57 am

ElaineMorrison wrote:The publicity in press releases of this author ( that I have read ) make reference to the name of Joe Hill and his execution - I think that idea should be revisited - with full knowledge that Joe Hill was a cold blooded murderer. Is that a legacy to be weaving a web into? There is a philosophical responsibility for delving into the meaning of utilizing it as a pen name - what it will purport in mythology - what kind of a message is it to embrace it? As words are our power - I just ask you to reflect...Elaine

If anything, I think you should get off THIS Joe Hill's back and get out there yourself and try to publicize your own beliefs about the prior Joe Hill.

What purpose does coming here and yelling that "Joe Hill murdered my Great-Grandfather..." serve?

Like Joe himself said- his parents were not glorifying Joe Hill- they liked the Joan Baez song and were behind the labor movement.

If anyone reads that Joseph Hillstrom King was named after the Joe Hill in the Joan Baez song and they do any reading on the man's life- won't they then be able to come to their own conclusion as to what happened?

I have been researching it myself- thanks to this thread- and I have my own opinion.

As for our Joe "utilizing it as a pen name?" He's not doing anything wrong- it IS HIS NAME.

Like others have said- there are people in this world with the same names as killers- does that make them evil? Does it mean they're furthering that killer's beliefs simply by using the name they were given at birth?

No. Any who believes that to be the case has a problem.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, so are we. This was mine.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby sybil on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:19 am

any of you milers think that elaine's last post sounds a bit like she-who-must-not-be-named on a "good" day? LK - i couldn't have said it better, thank you.
sybil

Postby Janice on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:22 am

<catcalls and whistles> You're my hero, LK.

But seriously, it doesn't matter what we say to this Elaine person, she's just going to keep on posting about the other Joe Hill. Methinks she's deliberately stirring up trouble so she can write her own book on the topic and actually have people read it.

Elaine - really...write your own book. Tell your story. But for the love of sweet baby jesus, this board is not the place for you to air it. It's inappropriate and creepy. If you write your own book, I'll promise to buy a copy if you just let this thread die.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby sybil on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am

janice, you slay me, really. :D
sybil

Postby Janice on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks, dear.

Talk about riding coattails. I'm betting Elaine was just lying in wait for this opportunity to send her own synopsis off to a publisher.

YES, Elaine. Yes, I'll buy your book. I'll even go to a signing. I promise. Just leave the man alone.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:44 pm

sybil wrote:any of you milers think that elaine's last post sounds a bit like she-who-must-not-be-named on a "good" day? LK - i couldn't have said it better, thank you.

I'm experiencing technical difficulties, but I was curious about this quote from sybil. Would it be too nosey to ask what it means?
Last edited by Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:49 pm

sybil wrote:any of you milers think that elaine's last post sounds a bit like she-who-must-not-be-named on a "good" day? LK - i couldn't have said it better, thank you.

Lord, please no. Not her.

Similar 'feel' but I don't think it's her.

LK

LauraK

Postby annmarie on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Betsy Boo wrote:

I'm experiencing technical difficulties, but I was curious about this quote from sybil. Would it be too nosey to ask what it means?

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is this whackafreakindoo poster who used to visit the other board that many of us frequent. We are askeered to say her name for fear she will appear again to drive us slowly to the brink of madness.
Are you stalking me? Cuz that would be SUPER!
annmarie

Postby ratpatrol on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:44 pm

I wouldn't buy Elaine's book.
ratpatrol

Postby sybil on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:24 am

not too nosey at all, b'boo. if i put it here, i'd better be prepared to explain, but annie beat me to it.

no, LK, i didn't think it WAS her, i just got the same kind of whackafreakindo feeling from it!

and, now we have THREE bb's....
bikerbabe
britishbabe
betsy boo

woohoo!
sybil

Postby crescentmoon on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:35 pm

Like others have said- there are people in this world with the same names as killers- does that make them evil? Does it mean they're furthering that killer's beliefs simply by using the name they were given at birth?

Oh Elaine you are gonna love this one! Guess what my son's name is? Jessy James! he he he. No he wasn't named after the outlaw. I just had decided I loved the name Jessy and boy or girl that was the name. The middle name was for his father. It took me a bit to make the connection actually. But there it is. To the best of my knowledge he has not robbed any banks or murdered anyone. Point being, a name is a name is a name is a name. Let it go. Move on. Dwelling in the past is not healthy. There are way too many wonderful things in the here and now to enjoy. Like Joe's book for example. You never answered if you even read any of his work. You should definately do that before spewing on him. Don't you agree? I assume you would since you champion fairness.
crescentmoon

Postby IT on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:43 pm

Have I ever told you, you're my hero Cres? :D
The BubbleSlinger
IT

Postby LauraK on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:45 pm

Yay! Where's that clapping smiley??

LK

LauraK

Postby Charlie on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:13 am

A banker named David Berkowitz found it uncomfortable while growing up in the Bronx during the time of the infamous crimes. Got his butt kicked alot. Then, in college, he found that his name caused a kind of fear in people and they where more willing to listen to and follow his suggestions. He took full advantage of it. He told me all of this while I was opening my bank account.
Mike introduced me to him, thought it was the funniest thing. Course he would, the freak.
A happy day makes for short conversations, while tragic days can fill shelves.

"...so we crashed the gate doin' 98 sayin' let them truckers roll 10-4..." C.W. McCall
Charlie

Postby val04463 on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:33 pm

Would someone plese tell me EXACTLY how to post a pic ..I have done the Photobucket thing but I don't know what to copy and paste for the code out of the three choices and do I have to tag it as an image or URL or anything?
val04463

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board