Joe Hill murdered my great grandfather in Utah

Joe Hill murdered my great grandfather in Utah

Postby ElaineMorrison on Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:50 am

Joe Hill was no hero - the reality is that he murdered my family in cold blood - and the effects of the violence have continued to ripple down in the generations since. My grandfather survived the massacre in the Morrison General Store by hiding behind the pickle barrel - he was only a boy of 11 - and he did witness the slayings of his brother & father. I know the real story of Joe Hill - not the opportunistic propaganda of the 60's . As a man of intelligence, opportunity & wealth - I think you should revisit your namesake of Joe Hill - and decide whether it is a fitting moniker for your existence here on this planet. Joe Hill's actions created so much havoc and destruction in our family - and in the fabric of my life - I shudder at the real horror of a prolific writer such as your father embracing the namesake - and you for allowing the charade of "heroism".
ElaineMorrison

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:32 am

Obviously this elicits very strong emotions for you Elaine. I'm very sorry about that.

But, our Joe Hill is going to take that name in a more positive direction. Just as his writing speaks for itself, so will his name.
Dana_Jean

Postby joe_hill on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:07 pm

Elaine,

In another thread, I directed someone to Wallace Stenger's fictional biography of Joe Hill, which made the claim that Hill was guilty of the crimes of which he was accused. I found his argument somewhat persuasive. Many people, however, continue to believe Hill was railroaded into execution, and he remains a somewhat mythological figure in the history of the labor movement.

Whatever you believe, I wouldn't hold my name against my parents. They were young, in love, caught up in the sixties, and big Joan Baez fans. Joseph was also a family name and seemed to fit. At the time I don't think they gave the historical Joe Hill a ton of thought; I think it was more about their love of the song (and folk music in general), and their feelings of support for the labor movement.

The point is moot, though. Joe Hill is my real and actual name (Joseph Hillstrom to be exact), and has been my whole life, all thirty five years of it. Not a whole lot I can do about it now.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby Nerak on Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:51 pm

It's kinda a shame that it's being held against you.

After all, it is just your name. You did not murder those people (or ere suspected of it).

That's like naming someone Jesus and believing they can walk on water.

It's a name. It does not define who you are. It's just how people address you.

I am sorry, Elaine, to hear about your family history, but please, do not take it out on our Joe.
Nerak

Postby Patrick on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:10 pm

Regardless of who perpetrated the crime, I'm sorry your grandfather had to witness it - as a boy of only 11 no less - and that your family (both those who died and those who survived) had to suffer through something as horrible as that. Peace to you and your family, Elaine.

- Patrick
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby val04463 on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:00 pm

My parents named me after a beautiful movie star and I am neither....
val04463

Postby Janice on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:39 pm

I got named after Janis Joplin, and I guess I am a bit loud-mouthed and misunderstood, so I don't really mind so much.

Those damn hippies, with their goofy baby names. :roll:
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby aaron2010 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 am

Wow, Elaine. You need to get a grip. No offense, but what was the purpose of your post ? You want Joe to change his name ?

Let it go and get on with your life. Your post kind of creeped me out.

Postby ElaineMorrison on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:10 am

The glorification of Joe Hill - and the myth of his being framed because of his labor organization activities - should be closely re-examined by our society. The truth has not emerged - Merlin Morrison knows the truth of Joe Hill, John Morrison, Arlin Morrison and Merlin Morrison - I think the noteriety of Joe Hill and his legacy is a skirt to ride on - it should be questioned as to whether the name should be embraced - and brought to fame again. In other words - if Joseph Hillstrom is the name - why not use it?
ElaineMorrison

Postby jodi on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:43 am

So Elaine Morrison are you here as a fan, have read Joe's work? Or are you just here to give Joe some grief over his name? It's just so petty to come on a message board and start shit over a name. Is this all you have to say? Because if it is, I feel sorry for you. Your life must be so miserable and boring that you have to dwell on something that happened generations ago in your family. My mothers name is Elaine and she is a raging bitch and bonafide lunatic. So, you must be too.
jodi

Postby Janice on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:08 am

Must...bite...tongue....

Elaine, you owe Shane a debt of gratitude for his his threats about what will happen if we don't play nice around here. :twisted:
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Shane on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:15 am

jodi wrote:So Elaine Morrison are you here as a fan, have read Joe's work? Or are you just here to give Joe some grief over his name? It's just so petty to come on a message board and start shit over a name. Is this all you have to say? Because if it is, I feel sorry for you. Your life must be so miserable and boring that you have to dwell on something that happened generations ago in your family. My mothers name is Elaine and she is a raging bitch and bonafide lunatic. So, you must be too.

Jodi,

I happen to disagree with Elaine's point of contention, too. I suspect the weight of everything her family has endured has potentially made it difficult to be objective about someone else having a similar name, as it's surely opening old wounds.

However, as I mentioned previously in another thread, this place is supposed to be a place to talk about a lot of different stuff, and hopefully it's going to be fun, but I can't allow serious personal attacks to be allowed in here. Your initial choice of disagreeing was fine, until the end -- where the hypothetical can bleed over into attack.

I just want everyone to remember that we're all not going to agree on everything, and though it's fine to disagree - and to voice that opinion here, we've got to keep it from getting ugly... even in the face of frustrations.

OK... carry on and have fun, all! :D
Shane
Site Admin

Postby jodi on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:57 am

Just wanted to say sorry for that last sentance in there, but I'm not sorry for the point I wanted to make. I should have been a bit more tactful.
Ok smilles everyone!!! :o :o :D :D
jodi

Postby val04463 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:54 pm

Oh My Sakes..I hope she doesn't read Owen's book!!
val04463

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:23 pm

Can I say, Shane, that I think you are very cool? I know I'm an old lady by most standards, but I think you really have the knack of this "moderator" thing. I used to belong to a message board where certain people were allowed to attack others whenever they wanted to...some really nasty things were said. When I complained to the moderator, I was basically told "tough". I decided then that I would complain whenever someone was being ugly to someone else and eventually the moderator called me a "nutjob" and "squirrelbait" on the public forum and then banned me. I was never disrespectful to anyone and yet I became a target. I'm glad that you are so sensible and even-handed and I am so glad I have found a MB where people are mostly civil to each other. And if they are not, you will politely and reasonably explain the rules without hurting anyone's feelings. I just wanted to say thank you.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Next

Return to Joe Hill Message Board