reading in Hamburg

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:52 pm

Thank you femme fatale Janice on that spelling and yes, you wear any damn thing you want.
Dana_Jean

Postby Janice on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:28 pm

Who am I femme-fatalle-ing?

Not the creepy rich sadist guys? If so, someone better start adding zeros to my paycheck. :evil:
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby val04463 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:40 pm

My Coon Babies will be very helpful..they are wearing Masks so can scurry about incognito...
val04463

Postby LauraK on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Dana Jean, I just want you to know that I knew what petechiae was without reading your explanation. I know a lot about these kinds of things....what causes death, what can prolong a death if necessary, torturing someone in a shed (obviously, it'd be a bad guy deserving of torture), etc, etc.
Were I to win the lottery, I'd I'd be lettin' loose with my mad-autopsy skills. Just fyi.

SO.....with that in mind, I think I could be helpful in Joe Hill- The Bloody Eyeballs of Hamburg.

I'll bet sybs has more in that suitcase than books......
;)
LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:34 pm

LauraK, we are kindred spirits. I was a medical transcriptionist in a former life (before children) and got to watch an autopsy. It was so fascinating. If I could have been smarter, I would have been a forensic pathologist and that was before it was every TV show on the tube and the thing to be.

(Oh, and when I was in college, I took a 3 hour career test that would tell me what I should be when I grew up. My friend's test had 2 or 3 suggestions. Mine had one--Undertaker.)

So, what are your feelings about being cast in JOE HILL: BLOODY EYES OF HAMBURG as the sadistic rich guy's sadistic biotch who bakes cookies on the side?
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:36 pm

I will be adding another character to JOE HILL: BLOODY EYES OF HAMBURG.

Val, I love the addition of your coons as part of the team.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:57 pm

We are blood sisters, Dana Jean. My husband works as a locksmith in a hospital and he's had invites to watch an autopsy. (!) He is not interested but has asked- seriously- if I could watch in his stead. I have my fingers crossed.

All the other kids loved Charlie's Angels. I loved Quincy- M.E.
When my dad died (I was 11) I was trying all the doors in the funeral home in hopes I'd get to see someone being embalmed.
I would go back and become a forensic pathologist if I could. Read: $$$ and time.

We just saw the Our Bodies- the Universe Within exhibit at our science center....very cool. Wish they'd showcased even more but it was really fascinating to see.

So yes! I accept your invitation to be in The Bloody Eyes of Hamburg....but I would like to be the sadistic beotch who helps Joe get revenge on the sadistic rich guy and his cohorts. I like to be on the side of light, even if it involves bloodying someone up.

LK

PS- Very cool on the college career test result. Did you ever consider that? Also, how did the autopsy go that you got to see? Was it a natural death?

LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:08 pm

It was what they call a "clean" death. She was an old lady who had undergone a surgical procedure and died on the operating table. I forget exactly what they were doing to her. For some reason, I think it had something to do with her saphenous veins. They suspected a clot as cause of death, so the main area of focus was going to be her heart and her brain.

Only 2 things threw me off a bit.

One: When my school mate and I walked into the room, she was just laying there, bareassed nekkid. I felt bad for her because she was an old woman and I'm sure the thought of laying on a table in front of a strange man and 2 young girls in such a vunerable, intimate way would have killed her all over again.

TWo: When he made the Y shaped incision, he really dug in and moved quickly. THe lack of delicacy, the callous nature in which he sliced her open did bother me. Not for a gore factor; but more because I felt like it disrepected her and treated her like a piece of meat.

Once the autopsy got going, I was right in there. I could go on and on. I hope you get to see one. They are amazing. And if you do, watch how he dissects the heart. It's like frickin' origami folded out by the time they're done with it. No I never ended up in a funeral home but I have thought about applying for a part time job. I used to watch a show on A & E called Family Plots. I loved that show. What happened to it?

I have very strong and rich visual images of this autopsy.

And, go back to the story. You are now a character player.
Dana_Jean

Postby Patrick on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:58 am

:(
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:46 am

Why the sad face Patrick? Either the autopsy stuff made you sad or you are bummed you don't have a part in

JOE HILL: BLOODY EYEBALLS OF HAMBURG

Talk to me...things can be...arranged.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:08 am

Yep, working in the dead kind of takes away the need for delicacy. I'm sure that would be most shocking to me as well. That and the removal of the chest plate w/the shears.

I've been a hairstylist since '85 and have had many clients ask if I'd do their hair in the funeral home. I would have LOVED to, but it's not allowed.
I've asked.

Oh well.

I never saw Family Plots- only basic cable...but I've heard of it and wanted to see it. No idea what happened to it. Bummer.

OK! On with the show...I'm wondering how I came to be at The Bloody Eyeball Support Group and Day Spa. Someone must've tried to off me as well, huh? Revenge will be sweet indeed.

LK

LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:21 am

One last thing on the removal of the chest plate. He took this really long handled tool, really long handled with a blade in a hook shape on the end and he hooked it in the I think it was the clavicle area and then he braced his foot on the table and pulled really hard and fast. It was very freaky hearing pop pop pop pop pop as he drew that thing down through each rib. Then, the very last rib on each side is too thick to get through in that manner, he literally takes garden hedges and crunches through that last bone on each side.

I swear they were garden hedges. They didn't look like some fancy ass doctor tool at all.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:47 am

Here's some autopsy tools:

But you're right- I know I've read about garden shears being used. I fact, here's a quote:
Rib cutters
These look like small pruning shears and are used to cut through the ribs prior to lifting off the chest plate. Some prosectors actually use pruning shears from a hardware store, which are much less expensive.

Above quote is from this site where he describes the autopsy procedure from arrival in the morgue to release to a funeral home: http://web2.airmail.net/uthman/Autop.html
Very cool.

LK

LauraK

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:25 pm

ghouls, ghouls, both of you! hey, i knew petechiae, too. from being a nurse. i never got to see autopsies, but i saw several surgeries (including a testicular implant, and a c-section - THAT was cool!), and really enjoyed them! i wish my surgeon would have taken video of my mitral valve repair so i could see my own heart and what he did to it. oooh, and my total hip replacement....watching them saw off the top of my femur and hammering the prosthesis down into the marrow. interesting stuff.

patrick, you ok hon? not gonna pass out, are you?

LK - not telling what's in my suitcase, might be a hopping peenie.

janice...i think i'm going to see my sis in clarendon hills the weekend of the 28th...any chance of seeing you? if i make it, i'm going to "body worlds 2" like what LK saw in MI. you wanna go? it's open 9:30am - 4:00pm on saturdays. sunday, 11:00am - 4:00, but i'll probably drive back on sunday. hey, LK - it's only a 5-hour drive for you, and you can stay at my sister's with me and meet janice...wanna come?

LK - i asked at the mile how long you spent at your body thing and if you were able to see it all.

edited to link to the body worlds site:
http://www.msichicago.org/temp_exhibit/ ... index.html
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Janice on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:16 pm

How long are you going to be here, Sybil? I don't know if I can get a sitter to go to the Body World thing, but I can probably sneak away long enough to hang out for a while. :D
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board