reading in Hamburg

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:16 pm

LauraK -- very cool pics. But, my rib cutters were 2 different tools; and both looked right out of Home Depot. I think most doctors just snip individual ribs to take the rib plate off--our guy did the ripping down and through the ribs quicklike.

The only two surgeries I've ever seen in person were a circumcision which really I think that's known more as a procedure--and then at a local Vet teaching school, I watched them cut open one of a cow's bellies and shoot a magnet down it's throat so it would pick up all the metal it had eaten and then they reached in and found the magnet in this belly. Oh, I forgot, they also realigned a sheep's penis so it wasn't midline down its belly. They put it off kilter. I asked them why they did such a thing and apparently they use this male to identify the females in heat--so they can breed the main stud to them.

Very cool stuff.
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dana_Jean

Postby Janice on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Well.

This thread has taken a decidedly disturbing turn.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:09 pm

awwww, that poor sheep. how frustrating must his life be!

janice - let me talk to my sister...if she's already seen it, maybe you could leave your son with my sis to play with my nephew? (my sis is a doctor if that makes you feel better about it.) or you could try to get a sitter between now and then. or we could just hang out. i'll prolly leave really early fri. and stay either til sunday noon or monday morning...depending on what sis has going on that weekend.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:10 pm

Sorry. :oops:
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:43 pm

Don't be sorry! It's very interestingly disturbing. :)

I had a pic of the garden pruners they often use...I'm sure that's what you got to see, lucky wench.

Here we are:

And here's some medical ones:

Janice- I hope you can find a sitter or leave your littleone with j's sis. It's very cool. Better than the one I saw.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Janice on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:49 pm

No worries, DJ. It's just - wow. We can discuss hypothetical death all day long, but when you start talking about cutting ribs with garden tools and sloppy y-incisions it kinda makes me hope that when I die they'll need a garbage bag to collect all the pieces. Regardless of how interesting the human body is, I can't get over the knowledge that a person used to live in it, and now doesn't, and strangers are carving it up like it's a science experiment. It's not just gross, it's kinda depressing. But that could just be the PMS talking.

Sybil -- I won't know what my schedule for the 28th looks like for a week, but I'm sure I can get one of those days off. My son is like his mama; he doesn't really play well with others. With that in mind, I think I should probably get one of my family members to keep an eye on him, just in the interests of sparing your sister's ankles from tiny toddler teeth marks.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby LauraK on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Janice-

Sorry. Gotta remember everyone isn't weird and interested in the details....

Remember- not everyone gets autopsied. Here's hoping you go in pieces........er, that you won't need one......many, many, many, many, many years from now when you're veryvery old and die peacefully in your sleep. Just like me. *hoping*

LK

LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:03 pm

It was disturbing to think this was a person that we were seeing naked and getting carved up--but, once we got into the science of it and I realized that this was how doctors learn to do better, it wasn't so bad.

Speaking of garbage bags.... There was one of those involved as well as a big pickle jar. I shit you not.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:14 pm

Pickle jar+brain+formalin?

I'm so intigued by the garbage bag.....unless it's for what goes off to the incinerator?

Remember I said my hubby works at a hospital? He said that when they clean their instruments it relaly smells bad... I was like wtf??

Turns out it was the smell of the hospital's incinerator........
:shock:

LK

LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:37 pm

No, the pickle jar is one of those big ones, or one you would find pickled eggs in.

The doctor told us that when he was done with the autopsy, that jar would be full.

He is speaking aloud, recording his findings as he does the autopsy. Each organ, he would take it out, and look it over, weigh it and then take a big chunk of it. That chunk would go into the jar. The body part--liver, kidneys etc..., would go into the garbage bag.

Since the heart and brain were his main concerns, he took those whole to look over. I don't think they went in the jar though. In the skull cavity, after he took the brain, he stuffed it with paper towels to absorb leakage and then he put the skull cap back on, stretched the skin back up and did big whopping stitches to hold it. He said the funeral home would make it look nicer.

The bag, once it was filled, he tied it shut and placed it back into the body cavity and then he closed up the skin and sewed that incision back up with big looping stitches.

People absolutely do not know what goes on in these autopsies.
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana_Jean

Postby val04463 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:26 pm

That is such a cool description!!!
val04463

Postby Janice on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:03 pm

DJ - did you read that 'Stiffed' book, I forget the details but it's supposed to be a non-fiction account of an ME's office or something. Spent a few weeks on the bestseller's list recently.

Janice

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:17 pm

Yes, I did read it. Very interesting and funny too. I recommend it.

And, I also recommend everyone should read Jessica Mitford's expose on the funeral industry AN AMERICAN WAY OF DEATH REVISITED.

It's a bit textbooky, but a very insightful look into the funeral industry.
Dana_Jean

Postby Janice on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 pm

I don't do textbooky. Whenever anyone even starts getting the least bit technical about anything other than psychological warfare tactics, my eyelids start to droop. You can imagine what this particular brand of narcolepsy did for my grades in college....

Janice

Postby sybil on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:07 am

that reminds me, LK - i'm sorry i haven't read "stiff" and passed it along to mommyd yet. oh well, she's busy with miler guests for the easter weekends...i promise i'll get to it as soon as possible.
janis the joeker
sybil

PreviousNext

Return to Joe Hill Message Board