What a lovely Man

Postby IT on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Anne~No...not sure where Bluewater is, but a friend of mine lives in Gillingham so we were there quite a bit.

Yes, those places really do exsist, and it's really pretty amazing to actually SEE them. It was a the same when I was reading John Connolly's Book Of Lost Things. There I am, getting into the book and enjoying it like crazy, when out pops the sentence "On the Isle Of Sheppey..."...I got so excited asnd was like a little kid!!! Oh! I was just there! I know that place!!! Honestly, if you'd seen me you woulda thought I was losing it I was so excited. :oops: It was the same when in one of King's books, Milford is mentioned. Again I just freaked. I stayed there!! I know that place!!! :roll: I need to get a life...I know. :roll: :oops: :wink:
The BubbleSlinger
IT

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:38 pm

don't forget the paul bunyon statue, IT!! that was so cool. and bad berry climbed on it right by the sign that says, "don't climb on this!" wonder if joe ever climbed on it as a kid? joe?

anne - all those things are in bangor, and king incorporated them into his book. it was very cool to see them. oh, and mount hope cemetary, where gage was buried (temporarily) in pet semetary. i don't know how i missed seeing that, but a bunch of the group went.

IT - anne said she lives in kent. that's where nikki lives! anne - nikki is who IT went to visit. small world, and cyberspace makes it so much smaller!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Anne on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 pm

It is a very small world, Gillingham is about 15 mins down the motorway, used to go there iceskating a long time ago :D
I really didn't know that all those places actually existed...did the actual film use any of the real venues?.............
I was horrified when I watched the Nightmares and Dreamscapes (it was shown over here a couple of months ago) Crouch End is nothing like the film makers portrayed it. SK got it right in his book, but in the episode scenery was awful...in fact the whole series did not resemble the book at all. :cry: and I was looking forward to it as one of my favourite stories (wish it had been a novel itself) "They've got a hell of a band" was on, that was ruined aswell.
I really hope that if Joe's book is made into a film that the screen writers will not ruin it :(
PS. Is the Paul Bunyon statue really plastic..............
XXX
Anne
“tension, apprehension and dissension have begun”...said the Tensor……The Demolished Man…. Alfred Bestor

Anne

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:21 pm

NO! the paul bunyon statue is quite solid!

look for this book, it tells all about this kind of thing.

Stephen King Country: The Illustrated Guide to the Sites and Sights That Inspired the Modern Master of Horror
by George W. Beahm
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby LauraK on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:49 pm

hehe, I boosted Berry up onto Paul..then I was too chicken to get up there myself! I told her I was too heavy for her to be trying to pull up, lol. She was bad! Cool pics, tho. :)

janis- on my last day there, me, Tom, Jake, Ann, Berry, Nille and Ree went to the Barrens and to a cemetery. Don't remember if it was Mt Hope...it was the one that had the headstone everyone posed with that had FLAGG carved on it.

Oh, sorry to hear how wrong they got the look of Crouch End, Anne. I hate when filmmakers don't do their homework- or don't care to.

I have the same fear about H-SB. My fingers are crossed, tho.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby mayfayre on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:51 pm

hey anne, just popping in to say hi and great pics. 8)
mayfayre

Postby Anne on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:22 pm

Aww thanks and hi to you aswell Mayfare :D

Thanks so much for the tip about the book, I will try and see if I can order it... :D ,
XX
Anne
“tension, apprehension and dissension have begun”...said the Tensor……The Demolished Man…. Alfred Bestor

Anne

Postby val04463 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:03 pm

I just remembered I have kind of a cool story about Bangor/Orrington....
When I was a wee lass about 1969?? (I'm horrible with Dates) I used to travel the 40miles or so to Orrington(Just east of Bangor) and stay with mt Aunt and Uncle Stanchfield. They lived on the corner of a Main Highway and Center Drive...well the house directly before them on the east was where Steve and Tabby lived..
My cousin Beth was a huge animal lover and because they lived in a huge old colonial house on a busy highway they "lost" lots of pets.

It was Beth who had the Pet Semetary sign that inspired Joe's Dad to write the book..and I am NOT shitting you!!

A few years back a local paper did a story on her and the sign. I think she still has it...hand made and very cool. I picture Gage getting hit by the car by that house.
val04463

Postby sybil on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 am

wow val...that it a great connection! what a story!

anne - it's really very interesting, you should find it...i'm sure you can online if not in london area.

LK - that would have been mount hope. i don't know where i was when everyone was planning to go there...i would have loved that.
janis the joeker
sybil

Previous

Return to Joe Hill Message Board