Annual August Chalkoff

All about the site.

Re: Annual August Chalkoff

Postby Nerak on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:43 am

ok....I need to go buy chalk. I have a driveway now....he he he and it's big....he he he....and I have plenty of space to color!! HE HE HE HE HE HE
Nerak

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:30 am

Is there any chance we can get weekly statistics on the Chalk Off? The fewer people who enter, the better chance I have. (Barring I wasn't disqualified for my choice.) Although, you did reserve the right not to award all the prizes--even if I were to be the only one to submit anything. :cry:

I do believe you will get more than last years 25 entries and slowly, one person at a time, you are turning the world into Chalkiacs. When I lose, I want to lose BIG. I want to be up against hundreds of entries.

This is war and I would like a weekly Butcher's Bill (so to speak).

Anyone else interested in knowing some statistics?
Dana_Jean

Postby Shane on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 am

We probably won't be giving full statistics out, if any at all. That falls under our province of rules and judge'ery!

However, last year, there were updates on the blog with leaked images of some submissions. I'm not saying we'll do that again, either... but we *could*.

I actually think it's kind of good not to show the entries, as it might intimidate people (foolishly) from entering, or cause them to think they have to change their idea to "match" or "better" one of the example pics. Which, I'm sure, wouldn't be the case at all!

But, I'm a reasonable guy... and you want some numbers, so how about this: as of right now, this very moment, this actual second that I'm typing this, we have less than one hundred entries.

I'll keep you posted! :wink:
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:16 am

rassenfrassensucatash
Dana_Jean

Postby Nerak on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:33 pm

Good one, Shane!!!
Nerak

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:19 pm

"Judge'ery"? Is that anything like "strategery"? :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Is there a place where I can view the chalk art of the winners from last year? I looked in the archives because I was sure I saw them there, but now I can't find them. Anyone know?
Dana_Jean

Postby This_Girl on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Dana_Jean wrote:Is there a place where I can view the chalk art of the winners from last year? I looked in the archives because I was sure I saw them there, but now I can't find them. Anyone know?

I think this is it;

post20118.html#p20118
This_Girl

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks TG. That was it. And I'm screwed. Just a tip for those of you who haven't done a chalk drawing yet. Our judges apparently like the look of the chalk on black top. Or the black paper. Every single one of those winners was on black top and not the lighter color of an actual sidewalk. :cry:
Dana_Jean

Postby This_Girl on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:49 pm

**GASP!**
Shoot, you are right! Not only was mine on a regular sidewalk, mine was riddled with fricken someone's chewed gum (ICK!). I couldn't use our "courtyard" thingy that's clean b/c it's that cobblestone-looking pavers. Oh well. Next summer I'll have the black top drive way to use. :0)
This_Girl

Postby LauraK on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:37 pm

Nope, Tempest was mine and I did it in our backyard's driveway, which is just plain old rocky/pebbly cement. Nothing black about it and it's not smooth at all!

I aksed this question over at the blog but figured I should do so here as well to cover the bases:

The comic I've chosen is black and white. Can I use charcoal along with chalk? It is kinda chalk-like, after all..... I've not found black chalk anywhere.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Stephanie on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:28 am

Laura - I had the same problem as you, I really needed black and couldn't find any. I did some research on Sidewalk Chalk Artists (yes, there is such a thing) to see what they used. It turns out they don't used Sidewalk Chalk at all, they use soft pastels. Anyhow, I did not want to use just pastels, it felt like cheating, but I did buy a set for the black and it works great. Same consistency as the chalk - messy as hell! If you decide to give the pastels a go, just be sure to buy soft pastels.

I never did get permission to do this. Is it okay? My driveway is pale gray and I did not want to do my drawing on black paper - I'm a purist, y'know? Any problems with using soft pastels with the chalk?
Stephanie

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:05 am

I also stated I was a purist and did my work on traditional cement. I had sidewalk chalk and artists chalks, and I used soft pastels too.

And Laura, your Tempest was amazing, but your background color is dark gray/black if you look at that picture, that's the way it appears anyway. My background last year was terra cotta (I had stained my patio). This year, I did it on a cement colored surface. The dark background really seemed to catch their eye. Well, besides the amazing artwork that was done by you guys.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:22 am

Lol, Dana- that's how it looks in the pics but I guarantee it is just your run-of-the-mill light grey cement driveway.
By the time I'd finished it, the sun had about set and so the area was given the darker look. I took a pic just now of the spot I chalked on in full sun-

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby This_Girl on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:08 pm

I found black at Wal-Mart. I had to buy three sets of 10 colors to get 3 blacks out of them...and I did run out. Those were much softer than the regular "sidewalk chalk". And, yes....messy!!!!!
Anyway, I found them in the arts & crafts section for under $5.00 a set. It said it was chalk...so I did not question the integrity of my entry....But now, got me thinking, those were the pastels for canvas.
This_Girl

PreviousNext

Return to joehillfiction.com