Friends and Foes

All about the site.

Friends and Foes

Postby LauraK on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:16 am

Did you guys notice this? You can add someone as a friend or as a foe. :D

Check it out:
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.

I've used the Ignore button on other boards but a FOE button?

I love it. :D

(Not that there's anyone here who fits the description of a foe................
yet. :twisted: )

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Re: Friends and Foes

Postby Shane on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:36 am

Don't go getting too used to it yet. There's a lot of things in here that are cool for add-ons, but there are plenty that I'll be removing, too. Probably like this one. :)

LauraK wrote:Did you guys notice this? You can add someone as a friend or as a foe. :D

Check it out:
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.

I've used the Ignore button on other boards but a FOE button?

I love it. :D

(Not that there's anyone here who fits the description of a foe................
yet. :twisted: )

LK
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:43 pm

The whole idea seems strange to me. And "Posts by these users will not be fully visible." What does that mean? They will only be partially visible? What part? Do they only post every other word...or maybe they will only post the first couple of words? Perhaps their posts will be transparent?

Gee...I don't want to be a "Foe".
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:39 pm

I dont think there is anyone on THIS FORUM that i would see as my FOE.not yet at least..haha
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby LauraK on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Betsy, at another board I have put someone on "Ignore" and so when that person posts, I can see that he/she has indeed posted something- but the space appears empty to me. :) That way I don't have to read anything that might, as is usually the case with this person, inflame me, bait me and cause me to respond. I go happily along in the thread, ignorant to anything nasty. :)

No one else would be able to tell if you've put someone on "Ignore" so I don't see how it could be a problem. But it's your party, Shane. :P

LK

LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Wow...I wish I'd known about that option on the last mb I joined. It doesn't seem like it would be necessary here (knock on wood). No foes for me here...although I guess you could use that option for someone who was terribly boring. But then who would listen to me?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:22 pm

LauraK wrote:Betsy, at another board I have put someone on "Ignore" and so when that person posts, I can see that he/she has indeed posted something- but the space appears empty to me. :) That way I don't have to read anything that might, as is usually the case with this person, inflame me, bait me and cause me to respond. I go happily along in the thread, ignorant to anything nasty. :)

No one else would be able to tell if you've put someone on "Ignore" so I don't see how it could be a problem. But it's your party, Shane. :P

Well, honestly... after I read a bit of what the separation would allow (and, by comparison what it *would*) it doesn't make sense to me to have it prominently available. I guess it's no big deal to leave it if it's something everyone would like to have, but the idea that making someone a "Foe" to therefore be able to skip over seeing their posts is well-and-good, but it doesn't stop that person from being able to send you a private message, for example. Therefore, the idea of it seems faulted to me, and more to promote just having a clique of listed friends. There are clearly groups of people in here already without having to put them on a banner, if you get my drift. Plus, I try to be up on the interactions herein, so that anyone deserving to be "foe'd" amongst the rest of us, would be headed off in some way. If it kept people from contacting each other no matter what, then I'd see a better overall use for it. But, that's really just my take on the application of it... I'm flexible for you guys and your wishes (to some extents!). We'll see...
Shane
Site Admin

Postby val04463 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:29 pm

I can understand not wanting to read what "foes" write..but I'm so frigging nosy I'd have to see it!!
val04463

Postby LauraK on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:41 pm

I see your point, Shane. While I definitely try not to be exclusionary, there are those of us who do come here a lot, lol, and are friendly. I hope it doesn't stop others from joining in and most of us always try to welcome new folks aboard and invite them to join in the discussions.

I have no intention of making a list of "friends" or "foes." Status quo is cool with me. IF some blowhard comes along who treads a line so finely that he/she couldn't be banned, then I'd Foe em and say nothing about it.

I know that sometimes, to a troll, being ignored is like being poked in the eye with a sharp stick. If they then went ahead and pm'd me I'd just forward it along to you, secure in the knowledge that you'd take care o' bidness.... :twisted:

So there's my, ummm, 32 cents. ;)

LK

LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Wow..."clearly groups of people in here". Shane, do you think we are being too clique-ish? I'd hate to think that. I swear I'll be more sensitive about that from now on when someone new shows up.

Maybe it's because I spend so much time here...

Betsy_Boo

Postby Nerak on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Shane wrote:I'm flexible for you guys and your wishes (to some extents!).

Dammit, I was going to wish for a pony! :lol: :lol:
Nerak

Postby Shane on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:57 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:Wow..."clearly groups of people in here". Shane, do you think we are being too clique-ish? I'd hate to think that. I swear I'll be more sensitive about that from now on when someone new shows up.

Maybe it's because I spend so much time here...

No, I think that might have been taken the wrong way. What I meant was, of the total group of people we have here, we have a main core of people who continue to come by and post and share things. This is great. But, of that group - there really isn't much of a separation between you all, aside from possible political directions. That's more what I meant -- that there's the Regulars and there is the One-Timers, if you know what I mean. So, to make labels for friends here would basically wind up probably including all the regulars anyway. :)
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:44 am

Thanks Shane...I'd really hate to think I was leaving anyone out of the loop. I really hope everyone who comes by feels welcome and included. Even Mr. Green! :mrgreen:

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:14 pm

HaHaHaHaHa!!! Good one PL.

I myself prefer being regular, too.

Betsy_Boo

Return to joehillfiction.com