hacked site: how to get some of the stuff back

All about the site.

Postby meridith on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:38 pm

With myspace, the hackers seem to get in there when you go to a "phishing" page, you end up giving them your login name and password because you click on a link that's in your comments or email that looks like myspace, but its a fake page. you have to just watch the URL and make sure it really is myspace. I've never been tricked by doing that in myspace, but I did once with ebay, but I figured it out right after I hit "submit". Then I was like oh, duh, ebay doesn't ask for that info, so I went in the real site and changed my password asap.

if they put up the site again, I would assume maybe they will have more safeguards in place? LOL. or, they would have back ups in place next time (and back ups of the back ups!), so they could upload all the info immediately if the site gets erased.

Janice wrote:Man, I'm gone for a few days and the whole site goes to hell! Who let the hacker in?!?!

And if you put up the site again, isn't he just going to come back and screw with it again? And if he clicks on the balloons and winds up on the myspace page, isn't that kind of like an invitation for him to fuck with you in that forum as well?

Hey, not that I'm criticizing - it's a cool idea. It's just that from time to time I happen to think like the kind of person who screws with people for the fun of it, and if I were him that's what I'd do.

Oh, and as for the rest of the thread, well - it's always funny to see how fast a well-meaning thread can devolve into a free-for-all discussion of eliminatory functions. :wink:

I missed you guys.
meridith

Postby jodi on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm

Sooo, is the site back up?
I just clickied up there :roll: and it looks like it's back up? Not just updated yet?
I heart
jodi

Postby Michael_D on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:05 am

Hey, it's back and right now the only blog comment is by a spammer. Bastard!
Ooops, I forgot to put down a signature.
Michael_D

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:41 am

Hey Shane, any possibility of an RSS/Atom feed for the blog? it's wordpress, so it would probably take a click or two if I'm not mistaken.
And as I slit it open
It became clear to me that
Scalpel cuts are not as easy to close
As I'd suspected earlier.
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Site back up?

Postby miamiheat on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:14 am

Looks like the site is back up (sort of). Nice job! Any chance of fixing the link to the PDF of the missing ending of Black Phone? I missed that link before the site went on temporary leave! :(

Thanks!
miamiheat

Postby joe_hill on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:20 am

I think we can reinstate everything with the possible exception of the comments... which sucks, because from my POV, comments are what make a blog worth the time (since a conversation is a lot more interesting than a one-sided monologue). So the missing chapter should go back up soon, and the missing images too. It might be a day or two, though. The site is still just wobbling back to life.

Izydor, cool suggestion, we'll try and make that happen.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby miamiheat on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:45 am

joe_hill wrote:I think we can reinstate everything with the possible exception of the comments... which sucks, because from my POV, comments are what make a blog worth the time (since a conversation is a lot more interesting than a one-sided monologue). So the missing chapter should go back up soon, and the missing images too. It might be a day or two, though. The site is still just wobbling back to life.

Izydor, cool suggestion, we'll try and make that happen.

Great, thanks Joe and Shane for your hard work regenerating the site of excellence!
miamiheat

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:50 am

Yes! Excellent! And don't worry too much about the missing comments. We'll make more. :D
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:12 am

Izydor Ingwar I. wrote:Hey Shane, any possibility of an RSS/Atom feed for the blog? it's wordpress, so it would probably take a click or two if I'm not mistaken.

RSS/Atom feed -- sounds very Nagasaki.
Dana_Jean

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:39 am

Dana Jean wrote:RSS/Atom feed -- sounds very Nagasaki.

Well, for me it doesn't sound as close to Nagasaki as "Where's the script you were supposed to send on Tuesday?!". And it's Wednesday. And somehow I know it won't be complete and sent till Thursday.

An RSS/Atom feed would be a great convenience. I don't have the time to check updates on every website I'm fond of (there are about twenty, most of them blogs or stuff updated every day, or close) so I just log in to my Google account and check the feed reader.
And as I slit it open
It became clear to me that
Scalpel cuts are not as easy to close
As I'd suspected earlier.
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Postby val04463 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 am

I would love that!! My "In-box" gets real full with notifications of posts.
val04463

Postby joe_hill on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:34 am

All the lost posts are sloooowly being reinstated. With a little luck, everything should be restored shortly.

Big thanks to Meridith for the tip about hitting Google's cache of the joehillfiction site. Most of the site was not adequately backed up, and if Shane and I hadn't been able to copy everything off the Google cache, I think most of the prior posts would've been lost.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby meridith on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:31 pm

Boo ya! thanks for giving me a good dose of compliments to feed my Narcissism : )

Glad it worked out! google is cool. creepy sometimes, but cool (like their map program-i saw this thing where they had photographs of some streets in big cities and it had some people up close doing things they shouldn't, like kissing someone else when they were married LOL!)

joe_hill wrote:All the lost posts are sloooowly being reinstated. With a little luck, everything should be restored shortly.

Big thanks to Meridith for the tip about hitting Google's cache of the joehillfiction site. Most of the site was not adequately backed up, and if Shane and I hadn't been able to copy everything off the Google cache, I think most of the prior posts would've been lost.
meridith

Previous

Return to joehillfiction.com