hacked site: how to get some of the stuff back

All about the site.

hacked site: how to get some of the stuff back

Postby meridith on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:44 pm

wow on the hacking thing.....what you can do to retrieve some of the lost information is google it......goggle caches info. but you want to do it sooner than later before google recaches the site:

Google cache of joes' blogs

I would have posted this in the comments section of the blog but the comments are shut off..good luck
meridith

Postby meridith on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:46 pm

oh yeah......and don't forget to click on the "cache" part of the link that google pulls up-if you go to the real link its gone.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/features.html#cached
meridith

Postby joe_hill on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Meredith,

Thanks for the tip. That's very cool, and very helpful. I'm not an expert on the 'net, but I think I can use this to partially restore some of what was lost. We'll see...
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby Nerak on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Best of luck, would hate to see it all fade away...
Nerak

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:49 pm

Is hacking a Web site the same as someone physically vandalizing a place? They just mess stuff up? I'm very sorry about this. :cry:
Dana_Jean

Postby joe_hill on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:10 pm

S'okay... no worries. The guy has found some kind of weakness to exploit in the Word Press platform, and I'm not savvy enough to block him right now. The site is down, temporarily. We'll get it fixed after the New Year.

Meredith was very good to point out that Google has a cache of all the posts on Joehillfiction to date. Shane went through and saved them all, so with a little elbow grease, we should be able to repair and repost a lot of what was lost. If anyone else had the time and inclination, and wanted to visit Google's cache, and make back-ups of the lost pages themselves, it might come in handy.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday. I know I am - this bad business with the blog is less than a footnote.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby sybil on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:00 pm

well, damn hackers!

happy new year, joe! glad you're taking this so well...things must be very good otherwise.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby meridith on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:41 pm

great, glad to hear that the entire site was apparently cashed on google!

Dana Jean, yeah, with hacking they basically find a way to log into a website and into the file directory and delete or upload their own stuff. Sometimes though, they put viruses up, and in this websites case apparently deleted all the files, so it would be like going in to a building and burning someones diary, records etc.

Even worse hacking would be getting people's personal info, but this type of site wouldn't have that....more like a bank website or something. Then you've got people who use "phishing" where they send out emails with websites that look like real ones (ebay, myspace) and you end up typing in your email, password and they then use that to log into your account.....

I don't really get hackers that do stuff like delete websites etc. Apparently people have waaaaay too much time on their hands!!!!
meridith

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:48 pm

Thanks for that info meridith. I don't understand destructive people in general.
Dana_Jean

Postby val04463 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:36 am

If I had the tech ability to do something like that I would want to win Tetris!!! That would be my goal....
val04463

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:24 am

Wow!! I wondered why I couldn't get onto the site. And thanks for the explanation Meridith, but I still don't understand why a person would do something like that. What do they get out of it? I'm so confused...
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:48 pm

Yeah, or busy with the whole "Holiday" thing. :wink:

I was having withdrawals from being away....sorry about the hacking and the site being down. Damn hackers should get lives....I just don't get the reasoning behind doing it in the first place. ?? Must be a power trip for some loser who lives in his Mom's basement....

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:40 pm

Does anyone know anything about the progress of getting the site back up? Shane? Joe?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:31 pm

Betsy Boo wrote:Does anyone know anything about the progress of getting the site back up? Shane? Joe?

The content from the site is tucked away. There's a minor update on the front of the website right now.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm not getting anything other than the "site down for reconstruction, try back later" message.
Dana_Jean

Next

Return to joehillfiction.com