The Buyer Beware thread

All about the site.

Re: The Buyer Beware thread

Postby LauraK on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:44 am

James, sybil met Joe and he signed many, many books for her that evening. Most were from friends here and from other boards and we were very grateful and happy to hear how generous Joe was with his time. (Plus, there're pics!)

I have 2 books that came from Joe himself and have sent 2 L&K's to Mark so Joe can sign them at ComicCon. I can say with pride that I know mine are real, too, and I never ever plan to sell them.

(I'd bet money that Joe'll sign your books if you ask nice.....maybe he could think of an appropriate song lyric that would fit) :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:28 am

James wrote:
sybil wrote:i know mine are all real

That line made me laugh a little.

Me too...btw, mine are all real, too! :mrgreen:
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:29 am

LauraK wrote:James, sybil met Joe and he signed many, many books for her that evening. Most were from friends here and from other boards and we were very grateful and happy to hear how generous Joe was with his time. (Plus, there're pics!)

I have 2 books that came from Joe himself and have sent 2 L&K's to Mark so Joe can sign them at ComicCon. I can say with pride that I know mine are real, too, and I never ever plan to sell them.

(I'd bet money that Joe'll sign your books if you ask nice.....maybe he could think of an appropriate song lyric that would fit) :)

LK

"Ain't nothin' like the real thing baby. Ain't nothin' like the real thing..."

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:37 am

it was a blast, LK - plus it gave me extra time with joe.

glad i made ya laugh, james. them're real, too. ;)
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby MountainMan41 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 pm

I hope someone will visit this site that knows one way or the other about the validity of signatures (and doodles) by Joe Hill on my book, Horns :twisted: . I won't say yet where I got these so as not to prejudice your answer. :|

http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz232/MountainMan41/Joe%20Hill%20Books/
Life is a game. Keep the directions and don't lose any parts.
MountainMan41

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:57 pm

MountainMan41 wrote:I hope someone will visit this site that knows one way or the other about the validity of signatures (and doodles) by Joe Hill on my book, Horns :twisted: . I won't say yet where I got these so as not to prejudice your answer. :|

IMO .....It looks legit. THe person to ask...would be Shane or Joe.
But if I had to place money on it.....i would say that the damnable and the signature is legit.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:11 am

the best place to get some signed books by joe...would be to look at the bookstores that he visited and call and ask them for a signed copy.
demorganakamark

Postby MountainMan41 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:02 am

demorganakamark wrote:
MountainMan41 wrote:I hope someone will visit this site that knows one way or the other about the validity of signatures (and doodles) by Joe Hill on my book, Horns :twisted: . I won't say yet where I got these so as not to prejudice your answer. :|

But if I had to place money on it.....i would say that the damnable and the signature is legit.

I would LOVE to ask Joe to look at the pics. How do I do that? Perhaps he remembers doing a few of these.
MountainMan41

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:05 am

MountainMan41 wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:

I would LOVE to ask Joe to look at the pics. How do I do that? Perhaps he remembers doing a few of these.

Im sure that either shane or Joe will look at the pics and give u their opinion...
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:08 am

I am curious to why you didnt want us to know that u got it from Kickbuttbooks in the first place....did you get it on ebay?
demorganakamark

Postby MountainMan41 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 am

demorganakamark wrote: I am curious to why you didnt want us to know that u got it from Kickbuttbooks in the first place....did you get it on ebay?

Like I said in my post, I want to get an unpolluted opinion of the signatures. If I post a signature that I personally witnessed Joe sign who would list it as fake? If I post a signature title page that I made on PhotoShop who would list it as legitimate? What makes you think I got this from Kickbuttbooks?
Last edited by MountainMan41 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MountainMan41

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:45 pm

either im tired..or you last post is a little confusing..
demorganakamark

Postby MountainMan41 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm

demorganakamark wrote:either im tired..or you last post is a little confusing..

Will try again:
Like I said in my [original] post ("I won't say yet where I got these [the sig pics I posted on Photobucket] so as not to prejudice your answer.") I wanted to get an unpolluted answer based solely on what the sig looks like, not where I got it from. Here is Photobucket link again: http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz232/MountainMan41/Joe%20Hill%20Books/

"If I post a signature that I personally witnessed Joe sign who would list it as fake?" I other words who would label as fake, a signature that I knew to be true.

"If I post a signature title page that I made on PhotoShop who would list it as legitimate?" If I posted a picture I knew to be fake of a title page with a sig that is somewhat accurate, then who would label that sig as a true sig?

Yes, I am questioning the ability of others to verify Joe's sig with some certainty. You have to admit that it is one that would be harder to verify because of its simpleness. James Patterson is on the othr end of the scale and is also hard to verify. I have found two of Patterson's sigs that had strong teltale signs of forgery. I am not going to discuss those on a board, though. I don't want the sloppy forgers to know what they need to fix.

What makes you think I got this from Kickbuttbooks? I think this question fairly clear.
MountainMan41

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Look, the only thing that anyone can do is give an opinion. As far as dealing with signed Joe Hill materials..there are two people that has the final/definite say..Joe himself, and SHane.

Myself, I buy books from where Joe/Shane tells me that Joe is signing or from credible publishers selling signed/limited's of Joe's work..its that easy.

One benefit of having this thread...is for people to get others OPINION about questionable items that they have/may buy from other sources than what I listed above....with shane/Joe having the final say on what is legit and what is not.
It may also serve to notify of certain individuals that may be selling fakes.
demorganakamark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 pm

Hey MM...I realize I'm just a JH fan, but I would have to say that IMO that sig is authentic. I have several signed books from Joe...the first one I got directly from the man himself (I won it!) and I'd be willing to bet money that what you have is real. However, if you're still worried, pm Joe or Shane with the photobucket link. I'm sure one of them will let you know for sure.
The reason Mark was concerned about Kickbutt is because they have been known to try to pass on fakes.

Betsy_Boo

PreviousNext

Return to joehillfiction.com