The New Appearance

All about the site.

Re: The New Appearance

Postby Shane on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 pm

Florida wrote:Ok, so you have to click on the 'submit reply' box to the left of the 'quick reply' box.
I see now!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. It should be available to any type of reply, nothing formal needed. And, you can click the 'Post Reply' at the bottom, or do what I usually do when replying to someone's post -- hit the "Quote" button for the reply. No matter, as it should be available for options under any reply format you choose to pick.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:16 pm

When I click on reply I see what you're talking about...that box is already checked. So in other words I should get a notice in my email if someone else posts a response? If that box is always checked by default then I guess it's not working for me and I'm not sure what will fix it. I'm going to check my user panel again. Maybe I need to repost my email address?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:When I click on reply I see what you're talking about...that box is already checked. So in other words I should get a notice in my email if someone else posts a response? If that box is always checked by default then I guess it's not working for me and I'm not sure what will fix it. I'm going to check my user panel again. Maybe I need to repost my email address?

If you've got that box checked, then I would think that you'd be getting reply-notifications whenever one follows your post. However, I'm not entirely sure that it will notify you if someone replies to the thread, instead of your post (since I read every post in here, I never bother with the notifications, since I'll have to read everything anyway... being notified is redundant, for me). To be sure that you get all notices, you'd probably have to subscribe to the thread, and to do that, you'll see the top-most box to check off at the bottom of any page, next to the text-field, says "subscribe topic".

To manage your subscriptions -- you go under the link that's at the top of every page called -- User Control Panel. Here, you can select several options for your interaction on the board. Under "Overview" you will see a series of tabs on the left-side. One of those is the "Manage Subscriptions" option, where you can see what specific threads or topics you're watching.

Again, for many of you that come here regularly -- I don't know that this makes a lot of sense to rely upon, since your coming in will probably be faster than your email will notify you. The misunderstanding with that option is that, though it can be very fast in its notifications, it's not *always* so.

I hope this helps, but if not... obviously don't hesitate to ask! =)
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Shane on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:39 pm

Florida wrote:Ok, so you have to click on the 'submit reply' box to the left of the 'quick reply' box.
I see now!

Shane wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

Sorry, Florida... I get it now. I was looking at something different, and my screen is sometimes a little different than yours is, since I've got all the crazy controls, levers, buttons, and options. :)
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Florida on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:02 pm

No worries Shane, no one ever knows what I'm going on about!
:)
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:54 pm

You're right Shane...I'm here so often it doesn't really matter all that much whether I get the email notifications anymore. (Actually, it worries me a little that I spend so much time here--I'm sure if I don't find a job soon I'll pass DJ's post count in no time!) The only reason I liked it was because sometimes I have to log out in a hurry and then I lose all the new posts. Having them in my email helped me keep track of the posts I haven't seen. Anyway, thanks for your help!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:You're right Shane...I'm here so often it doesn't really matter all that much whether I get the email notifications anymore. (Actually, it worries me a little that I spend so much time here--I'm sure if I don't find a job soon I'll pass DJ's post count in no time!) The only reason I liked it was because sometimes I have to log out in a hurry and then I lose all the new posts. Having them in my email helped me keep track of the posts I haven't seen. Anyway, thanks for your help!

Well, give it a whirl! Who knows, it might work out for you.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby val04463 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:41 pm

I'm really loving this "new" format/look.
val04463

Postby sybil on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:56 pm

i preferred the old, i think it was easier navigating, but that's just me.

shane...i didn't even notice the "postreply" button before, i just went to the "quick reply" box. i see what you mean now, sorry to be obtuse. i also wondered why there were no smilies, but i see them now.

thanks!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby val04463 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:09 pm

I just noticed there's a little green dot in the upper-middles left-hand side of your posts if you are online at the board.
val04463

Postby val04463 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:10 pm

Actually at the top left of the "post" rectangle..right above your username...
val04463

Postby val04463 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Well, except for Shane..he's in Stealth mode!!
val04463

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:58 am

Could someone tell me where to go to look at the icon "key"? You know, the place that explains to me about the thread icons. Some are red and some are blue, some have stars and there have arrows and I think one even flashed a gang sign at me.

Thank you.
Dana_Jean

Postby Shane on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:14 am

I think the following covers all that you'd be able to see.

The Forums:
- The forum icons that are blue means there are no new posts inside.
- The forum icons that are reddish means there are new posts made to that forum

The Threads:
- Icons with stars on them are considered "Hot Topics" or ones that are receiving more discussion than the other threads.
- Icons with orange dots in the corner were supposed to symbolize a topic that you would have created yourself, but there is something wrong with this in the system, as it's not always following that notion.
- Icons that are plain looking are simply topics that have been posted, and may, or may not, have been replied to.
- Icons with a lock on them means that I've locked the topic down, and nothing new can be added to it at that point.
- Icons with an arrow pointing upward means that topic is a Sticky topic, and therefore will always remain at the top of the page in that forum.
- Icons that look like comic book word balloons are Announcements, and like Sticky topics, they'll remain at the top of the forum page.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:18 am

Thank you.
Dana_Jean

PreviousNext

Return to joehillfiction.com