The Words & Pictures book club

All about the site.

The Words & Pictures book club

Postby Shane on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:10 pm

If you've not read Joe's latest blog entry, go ahead and check it out here: http://joehillfiction.com/?p=402#comments

As mentioned in that post, this thread will act as a place for suggestions in regards to possible reading materials for any future adventures in reading together.
Shane
Site Admin

Re: The Words & Pictures book club

Postby LauraK on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:33 pm

Perhaps a compare and contrast of Joe's 20th Century Ghosts and his Dad's first short story compilation, Night Shift. (I own about 4 different copies of it and The Boogeyman still freaks me out as well as a couple of others!)
In 2CG, there are definite "standout" stories that will stay with me for a very long time. They're both great reads. Just an idea.:)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Stephanie on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:48 pm

My idea for the book club is Baltimore, or The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire written by Christopher Golden and illustrated by Mike Mignola (Hellboy). I have not read it yet, but I have been curious about it and picked it up many times. Technically speaking it is not a graphic novel, but an illustrated novel. If you are not familiar with it there is an article about it on wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore, ... he_Vampire

I am not certain what it would be best paired with, I was thinking a war novel, something set during World War I. The classics come to mind, something like All Quiet On The Western Front, but I guess we all read those back in school. Perhaps something more current would make a more interesting comparison. Truth be told, I do not know much about war fiction and would appreciate any suggestions on an accompanying book.

Anyone interested?
Stephanie

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:31 am

Honestly, I know so little about graphic novels that I have nothing to suggest at this point. Gotta do some research. I do have a question, though: Should our suggestions be recent publications or does that matter? I'm almost through with AMERICAN WIFE and will soon be moving on to AMERICAN WIDOW, so I assume the connection between the two books will be obvious so then I'll know what to look for when I make a suggestion. I am enjoying AW...it is long but very readable.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:28 pm

I should've read better at the blog.....my idea doesn't fit.

Only graphic novel I've read that was novelized was 30 Days of Night...

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Honestly, I know so little about graphic novels that I have nothing to suggest at this point. Gotta do some research. I do have a question, though: Should our suggestions be recent publications or does that matter? I'm almost through with AMERICAN WIFE and will soon be moving on to AMERICAN WIDOW, so I assume the connection between the two books will be obvious so then I'll know what to look for when I make a suggestion. I am enjoying AW...it is long but very readable.

I was wondering how it was.....i was debating on getting the audiobook or the book...in any case, I have to start reading soon.......
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:50 pm

How about MAUS by art spiegelman as the graphic novel and Schindler’s List, or The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, or Mein Kampf as the companion piece?

Or, we could read PERSEPOLIS as the graphic novel and INFIDEL by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:42 am

Dana_Jean wrote:How about MAUS by art spiegelman as the graphic novel and Schindler’s List, or The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, or Mein Kampf as the companion piece?

Or, we could read PERSEPOLIS as the graphic novel and INFIDEL by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

There you are! Gosh...I've missed you DJ. And those are excellent suggestions! I'm ashamed to say I haven't read MAUS yet, but I looked at it in the bookstore based on a rec by a customer and was intrigued. I've got it on my to-read list.

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Im drawing blanks..i cant think of anything yet..
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi Betsy.

Well, my suggestions are a bit selfish on my part, I haven't read any of them, but I own them all and they sit, glaring at me from my TBR pile. Maybe if Joe picked them, I would actually be inspired to actually crack the covers!
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Dana_Jean wrote:Hi Betsy.

Well, my suggestions are a bit selfish on my part, I haven't read any of them, but I own them all and they sit, glaring at me from my TBR pile. Maybe if Joe picked them, I would actually be inspired to actually crack the covers!

Well...if you're like me you'll get to them eventually. I still say you made some excellent choices. And it's good to see you here again. Hope you come back more often!

And speaking of the book club, I'm getting the feeling that not alot of people are reading the current choices so I'm going to make a suggestion...perhaps the next choices should be paper backs? Having worked in a bookstore I have found that people are less likely to take a chance on an author they haven't read when their books are in hardcover. Just out of curiousity, how many folks out there are reading American Wife?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:04 pm

I'm getting ready to start it Betsy. I agree with you too. I think many people don't want to put out that money for the hardcover, especially on an author they aren't familiar with. And getting on a waiting list for the book from the library can be a never ending waiting game. By the time someone gets it, the reading window might be very small or just totally gone.

I have no problem purchasing hardcover or paperback because I have a thing about book ownership. Don't give me jewelry; don't buy me shoes or clothes--buy me a book and I'll be a very happy woman.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:04 am

Dana_Jean wrote:I'm getting ready to start it Betsy. I agree with you too. I think many people don't want to put out that money for the hardcover, especially on an author they aren't familiar with. And getting on a waiting list for the book from the library can be a never ending waiting game. By the time someone gets it, the reading window might be very small or just totally gone.

I have no problem purchasing hardcover or paperback because I have a thing about book ownership. Don't give me jewelry; don't buy me shoes or clothes--buy me a book and I'll be a very happy woman.

I'm right there with you DJ...books are my drug of choice! Buy me books or even better, a gift card to a bookstore!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:17 am

Hey...finished AMERICAN WIFE last night! A very good read. Thanks for suggesting it Joe. I can't wait to talk about it. Now on to AMERICAN WIDOW...

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:
Dana_Jean wrote:And speaking of the book club, I'm getting the feeling that not alot of people are reading the current choices so I'm going to make a suggestion...perhaps the next choices should be paper backs? Having worked in a bookstore I have found that people are less likely to take a chance on an author they haven't read when their books are in hardcover. Just out of curiousity, how many folks out there are reading American Wife?

I did read American Wife, but have yet to get my hands on American Widow.
I like to purchase hardcovers over paperback....I suppose that is why I can't always get the books I want. However, if the titles are in paperback, they should be available in hardcover...and then you can get which ever ya want. I think that's a good idea, BB. :wink:
This_Girl

Next

Return to joehillfiction.com