YES to JH's ALL TIME FAV!!

All about the site.

YES to JH's ALL TIME FAV!!

Postby bocentric on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi all, brand new to the site, but allow me to echo something I just read in Mr. Hill's list of "all time favorites:"

"The House With A Clock in its Walls" by John Bellairs is one of the truly splendid spooky tales. I'm looking at my Dell Yearling paperback right this second (scored via the Weekly Reader Bookclub, ca 1974, natch) and it just makes me smile. It's an imaginative story with well-realized characters and never once feels as though it's talking down to its (originally) young audience. Plus, it has swell illustrations by Edward Gorey.

I don't know how hard or easy it might be to find, but do yourself an immense favor and track it down.

And if you like it, then you should also find a copy of "The Blue Man" by Kin Platt. When I was in 5th grade it scared me so much and so often that I later paid way too much money for a paperback of it, just so I could know where it is and keep one eye on it. It hasn't lost one jot of its creepiness.

Okay, enough from me, it's a swell site, thanks to all who help make it available.

Bo
bocentric

Re: YES to JH's ALL TIME FAV!!

Postby This_Girl on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi There!
Hope to get to know you more in these parts...
Thanks for the reccomendations.
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Hey Bo...Boo here! Welcome! I totally agree with you (and Joe) about "The House...". I read that one to my girls when they were little and we all loved it. And thanks for telling me about "The Blue Man"...I've never heard of it but it sounds like something I'd love. Anyway, glad to see you here...it's a great place!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby bocentric on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Thanks Boo (!) and This_Girl... finding and affordable "The Blue Man" won't be easy, but it's worth poking around. Abebooks only has two paperbacks and they're both over 30 bucks, and I'd be the first to say that's steep for a slim paperback.... but maybe if you get lucky at the slots or something....

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Bo
bocentric

Postby LauraK on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi Bo- I read it last summer based on Joe's recommendation, and then read the sequels, too. They're also good reads. :) (I didn't read the ones finished by the other dude after Bellairs died, tho...)

Welcome to the board!

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:01 am

bocentric wrote:Thanks Boo (!) and This_Girl... finding and affordable "The Blue Man" won't be easy, but it's worth poking around. Abebooks only has two paperbacks and they're both over 30 bucks, and I'd be the first to say that's steep for a slim paperback.... but maybe if you get lucky at the slots or something....

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Bo

I checked B&N's OOP and they have a copy of The Blue Man for around $20. I think I'll hit the library or the used bookstore before I go that route. But again, thanks for the recommendation!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Return to joehillfiction.com