Be careful!

Wipe your feet on the mat and come on in - Keyhouse is waiting.

Be careful!

Postby Barry_Wood on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:24 am

I was just putting my Locke & Key comic books in a good box -- you see I've never collected comic books before except Joe's Spiderman comic book that a kindred soul obtained for me a few years ago. I don't if I should lie comic books face down or stand them up or what. So I found a box in the garbage room of my building and decided to stand them up. They are in plastic wraps, thanks to the comic bookstore. And a white thin board in each.

With Locke & Key I decided to buy 5 copies of each comic to help Joe, Gabe, even the little comic bookstore in Halifax -- show support, you know? [Wouldn't Oprah be pleased?] ... well, that's bullshit, I wanted them for my own Joe Hill collection. Anyway, I just noticed two of my #2 and two of my #3 are second printings. I had not even thought about checking for that when the comic bookstore contacted me each time to let me know my comic books had arrived.
Barry_Wood

Re: Be careful!

Postby dyetye on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:31 am

How do you tell on a comic what edition it is? I have all 6 issues (one I had to resort to Ebay), but don't know if there is an easy way to tell or not...
dyetye

Postby This_Girl on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:42 am

Darn, Sorry to read that. On the bright side, at least all five of each weren't second printings. And, lesson learned, right?
I think it was great of you to help (thinking of yourself & your collection is perfectly fine, too) Joe, Gabriel, and the lil' store by purchasing all that you did.
This_Girl

Postby Barry_Wood on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:20 pm

dyetye wrote:How do you tell on a comic what edition it is? I have all 6 issues (one I had to resort to Ebay), but don't know if there is an easy way to tell or not...

Just open cover and look down at the bottom. It will read either "First Printing" or "Second Printing." I believe #6, the way to find out is at the last page--again at the bottom.
Barry_Wood

Postby dyetye on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks Barry! I'll check mine out when I get home from work...
dyetye

Postby Barry_Wood on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:41 pm

dyetye wrote:Thanks Barry! I'll check mine out when I get home from work...

You're most welcome.

:D
Barry_Wood

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:54 pm

I haven't checked mine yet, Barry, but is there a reason that we don't want a second edition? Is it similar to having a second printing of a book where it ends up being worth less money than a first edition?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Barry_Wood on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:53 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:I haven't checked mine yet, Barry, but is there a reason that we don't want a second edition? Is it similar to having a second printing of a book where it ends up being worth less money than a first edition?

Good question, Betsy. Collectors like first editions and especially when one thinks they are buying a first edition and then it turns out to be a second edition. I just wanted to own first editions of Locke & Key.

Maybe someone else can explain why first editions are usually worth more than second editions and readily more sought after by book lovers. I do not pretend to know much about the book business except I enjoy collecting -- and more so owning -- Joe Hill stuff.

Usually they are the exact same book in exact same shape, but with the wording "Second Edition." I'd also be curious if there's ever cases where second editions are more collectible for certain books than first editions. I'm thinking perhaps a signed Second Edition might be more collectible than an unsigned first edition?

Exactly who determined that a second edition is less sought after than a first edition? Booksellers? Book buyers?

Joe? Shane? Anyone?
Barry_Wood

Postby This_Girl on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 am

[quote="Barry_Wood"]

I'd also be curious if there's ever cases where second editions are more collectible for certain books than first editions. I'm thinking perhaps a signed Second Edition might be more collectible than an unsigned first edition?
quote]

That's a good question, too. I don't know the answer...But I do wonder myself. There have been books (mainly some Stephen King's) where I have copies and they are released again and again and again. I'm not a collector so it's not real important to me what edition I have. If I happen to like the way it looks (Yeah, judging things by their cover) I'll grab it though I've already have one or two.
This_Girl

Postby Shane on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 am

Barry_Wood wrote:Maybe someone else can explain why first editions are usually worth more than second editions and readily more sought after by book lovers....Exactly who determined that a second edition is less sought after than a first edition? Booksellers? Book buyers?

Joe? Shane? Anyone?

People have different reasons to purchasing things, of course. Some are fans of the genre or product, some are devoted to the time period, some are merely collectors, on and on, etc. Aside from the psychology of people wanting to be the first to have/do/be in on something, which is prominent enough in its own right -- book collectors are nearly universal in their desire to own first/first copies; that is to say, First Printing, First Edition. As time goes on, and providing the work, or author, warrants reprinting the work, those first editions can rise in value or desire, since many first edition print runs are much smaller in quantity than their followups. Plus, people just like having the first edition of something if they're collecting them, because it means that you got one of the first types of that material available.

Now, if you're not interested in collecting, and you find you routinely read your books while eating spaghetti covered in sauce, or you only read in the hot water of your bathtub, then you'll not care at all what version or edition you have, since you don't purchase for investment.

Comics are a little different. They go in phases, but there was a window of time, before the very end of the 80s/start of the 90s, when collecting (mainstream) comics was still something that you could do (semi) effectively. There's a lot of boring stuff about this, but the Cliff's Notes version is; comics got so popular, the major companies took advantage of the casual consumer's attempt to "collect" issues, that they flooded the market with variant covers, gimmicks, and ploys to draw these dollars in, while printing millions and millions of issues that made anything scarce, rare, or at all valuable, became nearly impossible. The only way to collect something along those lines was to find an independent title, and get in on it early, hoping it would catch on later.

Really, it's all about who you are, what your interest in the product is, and whether or not you're a collector as well as a reader/fan whether or not those designations hold any value to you and your purchases.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Gabriel on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:46 am

Einstein's Relativity fully applied into the comic collector's field....
Shane proves to be the expert, here.

G-
Gabriel

Postby Barry_Wood on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:28 am

Shane wrote:
Barry_Wood wrote:Maybe someone else can explain why first editions are usually worth more than second editions and readily more sought after by book lovers....Exactly who determined that a second edition is less sought after than a first edition? Booksellers? Book buyers?

Joe? Shane? Anyone?

People have different reasons to purchasing things, of course. Some are fans of the genre or product, some are devoted to the time period, some are merely collectors, on and on, etc. Aside from the psychology of people wanting to be the first to have/do/be in on something, which is prominent enough in its own right -- book collectors are nearly universal in their desire to own first/first copies; that is to say, First Printing, First Edition. As time goes on, and providing the work, or author, warrants reprinting the work, those first editions can rise in value or desire, since many first edition print runs are much smaller in quantity than their followups. Plus, people just like having the first edition of something if they're collecting them, because it means that you got one of the first types of that material available.

Now, if you're not interested in collecting, and you find you routinely read your books while eating spaghetti covered in sauce, or you only read in the hot water of your bathtub, then you'll not care at all what version or edition you have, since you don't purchase for investment.

Comics are a little different. They go in phases, but there was a window of time, before the very end of the 80s/start of the 90s, when collecting (mainstream) comics was still something that you could do (semi) effectively. There's a lot of boring stuff about this, but the Cliff's Notes version is; comics got so popular, the major companies took advantage of the casual consumer's attempt to "collect" issues, that they flooded the market with variant covers, gimmicks, and ploys to draw these dollars in, while printing millions and millions of issues that made anything scarce, rare, or at all valuable, became nearly impossible. The only way to collect something along those lines was to find an independent title, and get in on it early, hoping it would catch on later.

Really, it's all about who you are, what your interest in the product is, and whether or not you're a collector as well as a reader/fan whether or not those designations hold any value to you and your purchases.

Thank you. I understand now, Shane.
Barry_Wood

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:52 pm

Yeah...thanks Shane! I think I've got it. :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby grasking on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Spot on, Shane, spot on.
grasking

Postby MedicAR on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:25 am

Something Shane didn't mention is that comics publishers are now trying to entice collectors to buy additional copies of the same issue by putting out variant covers. Some publishers will put a new cover on their second printings of a book, but this was not the case with Locke and Key. I wish it had been just to make identifying second prints easier. There are now different covers for #1 being issued through Dynamic Forces. They are officially still a first print, but have a new cover. Don't get taken on eBay, go direct to the publisher here. I personally consider them second prints since they were printed after the fourth or fifth issue of the series hit the stands, but what do I know? I've only been collecting comics for 25 years.
:roll:

I haven't been through my copies of the regular (not the "negative" variant) with a fine tooth comb yet, but they appear to be the exact same book, ads and all except the art is in black and white. Dynamic Forces' website says the regular edition is limited to 1,000 copies, but the certificates included with mine all state they are limited to 3,000. DF has yet to answer my emails on that little tidbit.

DF books are hit and miss in the collector's marketplace. The Ultimate Spider-Man #1 DF version is worth around $250-300. Others aren't worth what they initially sold for. Personally, I think Locke and Key will hold its value if not climb steadily as Mr. Hill gains more and more attention.
MedicAR

Next

Return to Locke & Key