Issue #1

Wipe your feet on the mat and come on in - Keyhouse is waiting.

Issue #1

Postby LauraK on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:02 am

I got lucky and my little hole-in-the-wall comic store had a copy! :)

Oh, such a teaser of a first issue it was. I know, you had to set it all up and introduce characters....but I'm salivating for more. I love the premise. That Sam Lesser is a creepy SOB. Just who or what is he communicating with??

A couple of questions....how old is Tyler? He looks like an adult but he's going to High School. How is Bode's name pronounced? Just as it's spelled, or Bo-dee? (Silly maybe, but I hate to get used to saying a name in my head only to find out the author meant it to pronounced differently, lol.)

Next month can't come fast enough. Nice work to all involved.....:)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:11 pm

I got a copy too! It was the last one, so I bet they restock! Congrats, Joe!!!

SPOILERS:

I was a little confused at the funeral. Who died in the house??? Wasn't that the dad in the room across the hall at the funeral????

LK, I took Ty to be about 16 or 17. Just a big kid (he reminds me of one of my nephews).

I'm really stoked about the ending and the premise that something wickedly supernatural is going on!!!

Oh, and A+ for the "gore factor"!!! Nice work with the hatchet!!!

:twisted:

END SPOILER!!

All in all, it was a great story! I can't wait for next month either! 8)

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Hey...I went to GR's website and he has several links to reviews for L&K. You gotta see this one!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... i?id=13079
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:14 pm

IDW overprinted the first issue of Locke & Key #1 by a significant quantity and it still sold out the day it was released

THAT is frickin' awesome! Thanks for the link, Betsy.

Congrats, JOE!!!!!!!!!!

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Dwight_L._MacPherson on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:07 pm

Issue 1 was bloody brilliant. The end kinda grabs you by the wobbly bits and leaves you standing on your tiptoes.

And that's uncomfortable.

But... in a good way? :lol:
Dwight_L._MacPherson

Postby Lou_Sytsma on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:00 pm

Nabbed the last copy at my local comic shop! :twisted:

Great setup issue and the transitions between past and present storylines was done brilliantly.

And that last page! :shock: Wow! Great stuff!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
Lou_Sytsma

Postby roguejafo on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:12 pm

Just got #1 today; had to wait for the drool to stop, (couple hours, can you believe I waited?) It was great; can't wait for the next installment.

KingoftheHill wrote:I was a little confused at the funeral. Who died in the house??? Wasn't that the dad in the room across the hall at the funeral????

My take: the dad died in the house. At the gathering after the funeral / memorial, when we see the parents in the room across the hall, Tyler is reliving a scene from the past; (we do this when we mourn) the barefoot kid is him (note the cap). Not sure whether the room is actually there or a memory.

I really liked the friends who don't know what to say, and don't really need to say anything, and then blow it 'cause they just can't seem to keep quiet. I've been on both sides of that exchange, recently, in fact; it sucks; uncomfortable, painful, resentments rise from nowhere, then you're like "FUCK YOU". (Or maybe that's just me; I've been called lots of things, but normal is scarcely among them.) I can see this happening with Tyler, that angry glare at the second kid (Orin?) Masterful. And real.

I also liked Duncan being there and not saying the wrong thing, and then we shift to the past, then back, and Duncan's still there, waiting, ready with support; nice bit of relief when it's needed. Very well written (in my humble and likely meaningless opinion).

Gorsh, I sure can ramble...
King, we'll have to chat guitars later...

jafo out
roguejafo

Postby Patrick on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 am

Yep, Jafo has it exactly right.

It took me a while to locate an issue #1, but I've read it and I absolutely love it. The story set-up is great, and the artwork is fantastic! The coloring works just right for the tale as well. Congrats to the whole team on a job well done!

I was able to get issue #3 locally, but I didn't read it as I still needed #2. KotH here recently helped me out with an issue #2, so now I can finally read #2 and #3. (Thanks again, Bill.)

In fact, what I am doing here when I should be off reading them....
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Patrick on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:21 am

This makes a triple, so my apologizes, but...

Where the heck is the "Edit" command? Why is it turned off in this forum? I accidently quoted myself in a second post instead of editing my first post as I intended.

D'oh!

Patrick

Postby Nerak on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:50 am

Patrick's a geek! he he :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nerak

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:53 pm

patrick - shane deactivated the edit option while he was away on the road or something, and he's not sure if he'll re-activate it. he says we should use the "preview" button before submitting, but i'm always in too big of a rush.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Patrick on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Nerak wrote:Patrick's a geek! he he :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes. Yes, I am.

sybil wrote:patrick - shane deactivated the edit option while he was away on the road or something, and he's not sure if he'll re-activate it. he says we should use the "preview" button before submitting, but i'm always in too big of a rush.
Thanks. Shane was kind enough to delete my repetitive post and set me straight.

Patrick

Postby KingoftheHill on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:29 am

Patrick wrote:
I was able to get issue #3 locally, but I didn't read it as I still needed #2. KotH here recently helped me out with an issue #2, so now I can finally read #2 and #3. (Thanks again, Bill.)

Always a pleasure, Patrick! Enjoy the story. Joe's really raised the bar in the comic world! :D

KingoftheHill

Postby Patrick on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:22 pm

KingoftheHill wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Always a pleasure, Patrick! Enjoy the story. Joe's really raised the bar in the comic world! :D

Yes, that he has!

Patrick

Re: Issue #1

Postby LauraK on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:32 pm

LauraK wrote:I got lucky and my little hole-in-the-wall comic store had a copy! :)

Oh, such a teaser of a first issue it was. I know, you had to set it all up and introduce characters....but I'm salivating for more. I love the premise. That Sam Lesser is a creepy SOB. Just who or what is he communicating with??

A couple of questions....how old is Tyler? He looks like an adult but he's going to High School. How is Bode's name pronounced? Just as it's spelled, or Bo-dee? (Silly maybe, but I hate to get used to saying a name in my head only to find out the author meant it to pronounced differently, lol.)

Next month can't come fast enough. Nice work to all involved.....:)

LK

I thought I'd asked this question but no one ever answered me......:(
:wink:

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Next

Return to Locke & Key