Locke & Key : Head Games

Wipe your feet on the mat and come on in - Keyhouse is waiting.

Re: Locke & Key : Head Games

Postby Gabriel on Tue May 12, 2009 9:13 am

Hi everyone!

Just to tell you that last Saturday, I finished the last page of the sixth and final issue of Head Games! I think the last two issues are the best of the series, so hopefully you'll enjoy them as well... Issue 5 is suposed to be available next week, and then issue 6 in June.

Best to all, and get ready for Crown Of Shadows!

G-
Gabriel

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue May 12, 2009 1:10 pm

GREAT NEWS!! Thanks so much Gabriel for coming here to let us know what's coming. And if "the last two issues are the best" we have something pretty amazing to look forward to. I don't know how you guys keep topping yourselves but you do. And "Crown of Shadows" sounds wonderful just from the title! :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Gabriel on Sun May 17, 2009 10:22 am

Locke & Key Head Games #5 available May 20th.
Official preview here:

http://issuu.com/ryall/docs/l_k-headgames05

Best,

G-
Gabriel

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun May 17, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks G...very cool! :) Come on Wednesday!!

(I made myself stop looking after the first page...I like to read L&K straight through and it would drive me too crazy to have to stop!)

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat May 23, 2009 8:27 am

HG #5 is great! Read it last night and it really does keep getting better and better! Lots of suspense...lots of tension...I'm really worried about Kinsey & Duncan now. Keep up the great work guys! :)

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane88 on Sat May 23, 2009 4:19 pm

I just recently discovered the Head Games series of Lock & Key, actually my first introduction to the Locke and Key series. I must say I am far removed from the comic book world and have been for 10 or so years (ever since my favorite series of all time, which kind of just died out, Battlechasers was being printed.) I bought issues 1,2,4,5 (of L&K) from a local comic book dealer and had to wait for him to find me a number three before I began reading the series. So finally, after a phone call today informing me of the news that the ever elusive issue three was in, I hopped into the glass-box and puttered over to pick it up. Over a 24oz tub of WaWa's hazlenut coffee and Samurai's vs. Vikings (Spike Tv's Deadliest Warriors) droning in the background, I finished reading Headgames. Phew! Complaints first, ugg I hate them too! I found 22 pages too short! A 25 page minimum would be much better, although writing for the sake of numbers may be retarded, but I'm certain your crew could pull it off! And....well that is it really for complaints. To the good stuff! The creativity level of the story I would have to give four and a half cheese wedges out of six, which is pretty good indeed, but then again with only five issues of 22 pages that I have read it may be safe to say that there is much more to what I have read thus far. I am a sucker for pop culture references, (Space Invaders in Bodes head, the Pollock reference from the Art professor or teacher, and hell any bar scene is cool in my book!) and there were some good ones for me. Although I do wonder why space invaders would be in Bodes neural network, considering his age, still cool none-the-less. Obviously the artwork is swell, and worthy of 5 cheese wedges, yes 5 delectable wedges of sharp cheddar cheese....mmm...cheese. I've particularly enjoyed (usually page 22) the artwork of the last page of each issue, gorgeous, especially on issue #1. I like, gimme more!

Cheers
Shane!

*At the crib watching Larry King Live
Shane88

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat May 23, 2009 5:42 pm

I'd give it 6 wedges of cheese cake...or chocolate silk pie. How about 6 home-made chocolate chip cookies?

Man!! You have made me crave sweets tonight, Shane! But I need more L&K too!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat May 23, 2009 6:05 pm

BTW, is Kinsey short for Mackenzie? We have a doggie named Mackenzie and sometimes we call her Kinsey.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane88 on Sat May 23, 2009 6:13 pm

I think so! mm...home-made cookies!

Shane88

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 pm

I was wondering today if Joe ever looks at these L&K threads. I got to thinking that writing a story in installments, unless you're absolutely fixed on exactly where it's going, your ideas could be tainted by what folks are saying about it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Sun May 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:I was wondering today if Joe ever looks at these L&K threads. I got to thinking that writing a story in installments, unless you're absolutely fixed on exactly where it's going, your ideas could be tainted by what folks are saying about it.

I would think that he can seperate himself.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon May 25, 2009 8:07 am

I'm sure you're right. I guess I got to thinking about how Joe is about discussing a work in progress (HORNS...he won't give a hint!) but because L&K is a series that folks read "in progress", I was just wondering if it had any effect on the story when people comment.

Betsy_Boo

Postby grasking on Mon May 25, 2009 11:29 am

Shane88 wrote: Complaints first, ugg I hate them too! I found 22 pages too short! A 25 page minimum would be much better, although writing for the sake of numbers may be retarded, but I'm certain your crew could pull it off!

I don't think Joe has much to say about the length of an issue. It's the industry standard. Check out Marvel, DC and the independents. Most issues are 22 pages of story.

So if you want more pages of story start petitioning the publishers.
grasking

Postby Gabriel on Mon May 25, 2009 11:43 am

Just drawing 22 pages a month is QUITE a task, believe me... To think in another format in a monthly series is almost impossible. And to make bigger comics, should mean wait longer between issues.... and bigger financial risk for publishers.

But, we always try to do special things for our readers, so issue 6 of Head Games will have a special lenght... 28 pages! Hope you'll enjoy it! ;)

Best,
G-
Gabriel

Postby Shane88 on Mon May 25, 2009 12:59 pm

I probably do not understand the time it takes (obviously) to craft an issue a month, and I can try to understand. I think it may seem soo short simply because it reads well and keeps you interested enough to keep turning quickly! Also now the more I think about why I may enjoy the art pieces more-so on the last page is the story-line which leaves me (the bitter buffalo) on the edge of a cliff! Thank you MOdesto MouseO! Which, in turn, grants the creativity level up one-half a cheese wedge after this realization. I think this is very evident to me in issue one and a couple others. Oh the pain, and the joy!

Cheers
Shane

Shane88

PreviousNext

Return to Locke & Key