Why Willits?

Wipe your feet on the mat and come on in - Keyhouse is waiting.

Why Willits?

Postby moonjunio on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi there,

I don't know if Joe reads this forum, but I've been wondering - was there any particular reason that the series opens in Willits? That is where the murder takes place, right? (Or is it somewhere else in Mendocino...) I am super curious, because that's my hometown. I saw a preview of Locke & Key in the back of one of my other comics, and it freaked me out that someone was writing about our insignificant little 2-mile long, one-Starbucks village :shock:

So, of course I had to pick up issue #1...and luckily it turned out to be an excellent read! +1 fan for Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. I'm definitely going to keep up with the series.

So Joe, have you been to "The Gateway To The Redwoods," proud home of Frontier Days, the Skunk Train, and many many pot farmers? :P
moonjunio

Re: Why Willits?

Postby LauraK on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:28 am

Joe posts occasionally and so does Gabriel. :)

I'd be interested to hear the answer to your question now.....:)

pot farmers, eh? 8)

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Shane on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:33 am

Though Joe might have a specific reason for choosing that place, the truth is -- it's gotta start *somewhere* right? And, wherever "somewhere" is, it's also gotta be someone's hometown. Just luck of the draw in such things, I guess... I don't know that I'd read (pun intended) too deeply into such things, but that's not to say there isn't a wild & crazy backstory for it either. Just throwing it out there...
Shane
Site Admin

Postby moonjunio on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Yeah I'm not really expecting any mindblowing backstory, lol...but he could have easily gone with someplace fictional, and this kind of thing is exciting when you grew up somewhere this small. And regarding the farmers, yeah Willits is part of the so-called "emerald triangle".

One year we had two mass murders (shudder), which raised our murder profile significantly, I wondered whether Joe might have heard that...

http://www.ssristories.com/show.php?item=1185

ugh...hadn't thought about that for awhile.
moonjunio

Postby herbie1976 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:50 am

not good then moonjunio
Vinny Chong rules!
herbie1976

Postby Lollipop4598 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:33 pm

Maybe Joes been there. I mean there is some reason he chose Wilits. You don't just pick from random locales. Joe did think it was the backdrop he wanted. For one thing its obviously secluded enough for someone to get shot and not have the cops there within ten minutes. And it seems right for a summer place for the Locke family. Pretty and away from the bustle of LA, but not too touristy.
Lollipop4598

Postby moonjunio on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:27 pm

Lollipop4598 wrote:For one thing its obviously secluded enough for someone to get shot and not have the cops there within ten minutes.

Too true...to the delight of the farmers...
moonjunio

Return to Locke & Key