Got My "He Is Legend" Today!!!

Talk about Joe's uncollected stories, non-fiction, and random pieces

Re: Got My "He Is Legend" Today!!!

Postby demorganakamark on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:37 am

demorganakamark wrote:Yes, he should have. What an asshole. Like some have already echoed, this book isnt cheap. This definitely shines a different light on Barry and Gauntlet......

Fuck man, im still pissed off about that shit. They should at least give you a god damn gift card or some shit since you got the shaft, fucking bastards.
Hell, im going to check mine right now that i just got in.

The above may have been a little 2 harsh. I just hope that the situation would have played out better...
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Melissa on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:55 am

No worries LK. I should have spent the money...
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:17 pm

BTW...I'd love to see a pic of the Table of Contents page. Could anyone post one?

I saw where they are selling this book on the B&N website for around $50. I wonder if this will ever be released in paperback?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Mr. Hoffman, as you can see, did not offer this as a solution to the problem. No compensation of any kind was offered. I don't see why I should have to embarrass myself by emailing him again to ask for any. He should have offered.

Wow. You shouldn't be embarrassed.....he should. After all the hype about reserving your copy and how to pay....please get us the money by xx date...yadayada.....

They got their money and you got screwed.

Extrememly unprofessional and most definitely shines a negative light on both Barry Hoffman and Gauntlet Press.

I'll tell you what, if it were me you're darn tootin I'd fire back another email telling them how extremely disappointed I was to have spent that kind of money to acquire a limited edition book with the signatures of all contributors only to find that one sig was missing. That I'd definitely not be doing business with Gauntlet again in the future due to this unprofessional handling. That's the fault of Gauntlet Press. They needed to have some sort of quality control, it should have been caught, and then sent to F.Paul Wilson for his signature- all at their expense and with their humble apologies for the oversight.

My Mom always taught me- "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." I've found this to be true.

I feel like sending an email on your behalf telling him that I'm now wary about future purchases if this is how they treat their customers.
(Don't worry, I wouldn't do such a thing w/o your permission first!)

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby LauraK on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Here's the Table of Contents:

Now in reading some of the titles, I'm confused....as I so often am, lol!

A prequel to "I Am Legend......" "I Am Legend, Too."
~and~
A prequel to "Hell House......" "Return to Hell House."

How can you be legend, too, when you came first? (Prequel)

How can you return to Hell House when you're a prequel?

Am I being too picky, especially since I haven't read them yet, lol? Probably. They just made me go, hmmmmmmmmmm.

LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks LK...I really wanted to see which stories of Matheson's the authors used as inspiration. It does sound confusing but that just makes me want to read them all the more. Hope I can afford a copy when I go off my book diet!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Paul_Campbell on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:08 pm

LauraK wrote:
Mr. Hoffman, as you can see, did not offer this as a solution to the problem. No compensation of any kind was offered. I don't see why I should have to embarrass myself by emailing him again to ask for any. He should have offered.

Wow. You shouldn't be embarrassed.....he should. After all the hype about reserving your copy and how to pay....please get us the money by xx date...yadayada.....

They got their money and you got screwed.

Extrememly unprofessional and most definitely shines a negative light on both Barry Hoffman and Gauntlet Press.

I'll tell you what, if it were me you're darn tootin I'd fire back another email telling them how extremely disappointed I was to have spent that kind of money to acquire a limited edition book with the signatures of all contributors only to find that one sig was missing. That I'd definitely not be doing business with Gauntlet again in the future due to this unprofessional handling. That's the fault of Gauntlet Press. They needed to have some sort of quality control, it should have been caught, and then sent to F.Paul Wilson for his signature- all at their expense and with their humble apologies for the oversight.

My Mom always taught me- "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." I've found this to be true.

I feel like sending an email on your behalf telling him that I'm now wary about future purchases if this is how they treat their customers.
(Don't worry, I wouldn't do such a thing w/o your permission first!)

Well, I don't want to come across as being geographically racist, but the fact that I live in the UK? Yep, bet that just made Mr. Hoffman blanch at the idea of offering to pay for me to send the book to F. Paul Wilson, and for said author to send it back to me. As a said earlier, as it would be necessary for me to insure the book for what it cost me - £132.48 - I reckon insured Air Mail on that would come to roughly $50 each way. Oh yeah, I can just see Mr. Hoffman PayPal'ing me a hundred bucks - :lol:

You know what, forget the money (my wife and I don't have kids - thank the good Lord, given the current economic climate! - and it's not as if I needed to buy this book): you know what really annoys me? The fact that it's soured the whole book for me; after putting one of those clear plastic dustjacket protectors on it, I placed it on the shelf inside my cupboard. And closed the door. I just feel blah and meh about the whole situation.

I'm not a collector: the vast majority of my books are paperbacks, with only maybe a few dozen trade hardbacks and a very small number of small press hardbacks, most of those from PS Publishing. And, frankly, I feel like a mug for having forked out all that money for He Is Legend. I mean, man, what was I thinking?!

This isn't the first time I've gotten burned by the small press. Remember this post?

miscellany-f4/joe-hill-intro-in-new-peter-crowther-book-t951.html

This was another one of those 'one-off' treats, cos I like Pete Crowther as a human being and well, hell, aside from Joe I've also read and greatly enjoyed the work of the other three authors who contributed the mini-intros to Pete's book: Ian McDonald, Elizabeth Hand and Lucius Shepard.

Only, they spelt his surname 'Shepherd' on the signature sheet (go skip over to the post and take a look).

Come on! There's, what, 50 words to proof-read on that signature sheet? And the publisher couldn't even get that right... sheeesh.

So, yeah, that kinda spoilt the book for me a little.

And now, again, with He Is Legend.

Well, they say fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Other than buying PS Publishing titles directly from the dealers' room at the annual FantasyCon event in England, the small press has well and truly burnt their bridges with me. I'll stick to £7.99/$14.95 paperbacks from now on...

... £130?! What an idiot.
Paul_Campbell

Postby LauraK on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Can I email them about this? It just has my blood boiling!

You know what? They have the money in their coffers to cover S&H to fix their own mistake. It's what any good and reputable company would do to keep a customer and avoid the spread of bad mojo about themselves.

They can send you a pre-paid postage sticker that you can slap on the box so nothing comes out of your pocket. They should take care of all charges that result from their mistake, and throw in a bonus book or something for all of your trouble.

I'm really sorry that twice something like this has happened to you.

A friend said to me "Doesn't he have something rare now??"

I said, "MMmmmmmmm, not sure if a missing sig would constitute a rarity...." :?

LauraK

Postby Melissa on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:50 pm

If you give us permission we could all write a little something, in a nice professional, but firm manner, just stating that we think you ought to be compensated. Or, in the alternative, just let LK do her thing :)
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Wow Paul, I'm sorry this happened. I do think it's a bit unprofessional that they didn't offer to help you in some way get the book you purchased. That's a righteous chunk of change for this book and you definitely did not get the product you paid for.

Maybe a ground roots movement can be started on your behalf to make this right.

Ya know, authors want their fans to act decent; I expect the same from authors and their publishers.
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Damn. That's just bad business. This bothers me too.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Well hey now....I thought I was angry in a firm and professional manner! :P

I like the idea of them hearing from a few of us....I know I'll have no problem telling them that this makes me completely rethink buying from them again if this is how they handle a mistake.

LauraK

Postby Melissa on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm

LK - lol - I didn't mean to imply that you weren't! I just wanted to stress that we ALL would act that way if we wrote....so he didn't think we'd all just be an angry, crazy bunch....lol
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Hey...I'm on board! I'm actually feeling a bit better about not having bought it. But if I spent that kind of money and that happened to me they'd have to put me in a straight jacket! Paul...we're all behind you. Just give us the email address and the guy won't know what hit him!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 pm

It definitely makes you re-think making a big purchase like this. I mean, shit happens to the best of us, and I appreciate that the guy did apologize--but, there should have been every effort made to make this right. They are selling a product and the product was flawed. Make it right.

This reminded me, I bought a signed and numbered edition of one of Joe's books. It was signed, but it was not numbered. I forget which one that was. I posted about it here somewhere years ago. Maybe I should have pursued this, but it really didn't matter to me all that much. I'm not a collector in the true sense of the word. I like to collect books to read and touch and enjoy. I can appreciate the serious collector; but I'm not in the book buying biz for resale value. That's just me though.
Dana_Jean

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellany