Got My "He Is Legend" Today!!!

Talk about Joe's uncollected stories, non-fiction, and random pieces

Re: Got My "He Is Legend" Today!!!

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Hey...I'm on board! I'm actually feeling a bit better about not having bought it. But if I spent that kind of money and that happened to me they'd have to put me in a straight jacket! Paul...we're all behind you. Just give us the email address and the guy won't know what hit him!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 pm

It definitely makes you re-think making a big purchase like this. I mean, shit happens to the best of us, and I appreciate that the guy did apologize--but, there should have been every effort made to make this right. They are selling a product and the product was flawed. Make it right.

This reminded me, I bought a signed and numbered edition of one of Joe's books. It was signed, but it was not numbered. I forget which one that was. I posted about it here somewhere years ago. Maybe I should have pursued this, but it really didn't matter to me all that much. I'm not a collector in the true sense of the word. I like to collect books to read and touch and enjoy. I can appreciate the serious collector; but I'm not in the book buying biz for resale value. That's just me though.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Hey...I'm on board! I'm actually feeling a bit better about not having bought it. But if I spent that kind of money and that happened to me they'd have to put me in a straight jacket! Paul...we're all behind you. Just give us the email address and the guy won't know what hit him!

I posted his email address on page 1. His name is Barry Hoffman.
C'mon, Paul.....just give us the go-ahead and we're gonna be on him like a flock of vultures on a 2 day old stinking carcass!
(Well, maybe not exactly like that....we won't rip and tear and rend and chew.........much) :twisted:

No, really. I can write a helluva professional, calm, ordered and polite-angry letter. I've written plenty (and made phone calls) and I'd say 90% get results.

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby dyetye on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:55 am

Well, I finally got my slipcased one yesterday in the mail, and this was the first thing I opened it up to look for. Luckily, mine had everything signed. But, if I had paid this much for the book and it was missing something it should have had, and could be easily gotten by Gauntlet for a fix, I'd pursue it quite a bit. Good luck!
dyetye

Postby Paul_Campbell on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks everyone, but as I was saying privately to demorganakamark next March will be here before we know it. Besides, with the world economy shot to hell, snowballing unemployment, some country you barely heard of knocking six shades o'shit outta some other country you definitely don't think you ever heard of - well, heck, a man's John Hancock don't amount to a hill a beans.

Anyhoo, let's let this sleeping dog lie. Besides, I'm sure our gracious hosts Joe and Shane don't want us all cluttering up the forum with bad mojo -

- so, who's actually started reading He Is Legend yet?!

Me, I intend to read the original Matheson story first, then the one in the new book which inspired it, then a Matheson story, then the He Is Legend story and so on...

... so first up will be "Duel" and then "Throttle". Although I'll wait 'til the weekend before starting as I've got stuff to do during the week.
Paul_Campbell

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Paul_Campbell wrote:Thanks everyone, but as I was saying privately to demorganakamark next March will be here before we know it. Besides, with the world economy shot to hell, snowballing unemployment, some country you barely heard of knocking six shades o'shit outta some other country you definitely don't think you ever heard of - well, heck, a man's John Hancock don't amount to a hill a beans.

Anyhoo, let's let this sleeping dog lie. Besides, I'm sure our gracious hosts Joe and Shane don't want us all cluttering up the forum with bad mojo -

- so, who's actually started reading He Is Legend yet?!

Me, I intend to read the original Matheson story first, then the one in the new book which inspired it, then a Matheson story, then the He Is Legend story and so on...

... so first up will be "Duel" and then "Throttle". Although I'll wait 'til the weekend before starting as I've got stuff to do during the week.

Agreed.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby LauraK on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:06 pm

I'm planning to do the same now. :)

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby This_Girl on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:18 pm

Well said, Paul. I am sorry about the book you got, but I am in agreement with you on your most recent post. And, you get to have him sign it in person and that's cool. Hope it all works out for you!
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:49 am

You know Paul...that's a really good idea. If I get my hands on a copy I'm definitely going to read the Matheson story first and then the story in the book. I listened to the audio of "Road Rage" which has "Duel" and then "Throttle" and I just loved it...it made the experience more enjoyable, IMO. I honestly can't remember if I've ever read a "tribute" story before but having the two stories one after the other was really interesting. "Throttle" was really great. I'm glad I didn't listen to it at night because I was so wired afterward I never would've gotten to sleep. The suspense was damn nearly unbearable!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Paul_Campbell on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:45 am

I'm heartened to see so many of us are going to be reading the Matheson stories first - for those who don't own any of Matheson's collections here are three recent ones which I, personally, think are among the best. All three are published by Tor Books in paperback and feature introductions by the likes of Stephen King and Ray Bradbury.

Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories by Richard Matheson (2002) still in print and available from Amazon.com here

Duel: Terror Stories by Richard Matheson (2003) also still in print and available from Amazon.com here

Button, Button: Uncanny Stories by Richard Matheson (2008) available from Amazon.com here

Aside from the novels which provided some of the inspiration for the stories in He Is Legend, all of the Matheson short stories which inspired the tribute volume can be found in these three excellent Tor titles. None of the stories in these three books overlap with each other.
Paul_Campbell

Postby Melissa on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:18 pm

I got mine in on Friday, but haven't even taken it out of the plastic yet. I'm going to wait as long as I can.....see how strong I am
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Melissa on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:20 pm

I got mine in on Friday, but haven't even taken it out of the plastic yet. I'm going to wait as long as I can.....see how strong I am
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Shane on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Melissa wrote:I got mine in on Friday, but haven't even taken it out of the plastic yet. I'm going to wait as long as I can.....see how strong I am

Well, when you're ready... open it with your feet. That'll show you how dexterous you are, too! :)
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:48 pm

"That's what she said."

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:00 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:"That's what she said."

whoop! whoop!
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellany