Got My "He Is Legend" Today!!!

Talk about Joe's uncollected stories, non-fiction, and random pieces

Got My "He Is Legend" Today!!!

Postby LauraK on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:36 pm

It's gorgeous and I'm so excited! I'm almost finished with The Road, and then I'll start HiL.

Here are some pics...
(Nothing is blue, those were taken w/o flash and they came out more clearly:)

This is the most I've ever spent on a book and I've second-guessed myself but now....I'm so glad I bought it! :D

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Re: Got My "He Is Legend" Today!!!

Postby dyetye on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:47 pm

is this the slipcased version? I ordered the same one with the slipcase included. Wasn't sure if that was the one they are shipping now or not...
dyetye

Postby LauraK on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Nope, this was simply the signed, numbered ed for $150.
I hope yours comes soon, too.

I was just at Gauntlet and they say the slipcases (for those who ordered) will follow in March. So you may have yours very soon, too! :)

LauraK

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:24 pm

dangggggggggg....it looks really AWESOME.......CANT WAIT FOR MINE
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:25 pm

lOVE THE SIGNATURE PAGE WITH JUST JOE AND STEPHEN
demorganakamark

Postby LauraK on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm

I know! I love how they separated it, too!

LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:45 pm

:(

Oh well...at least I'm getting my copy of "Road Rage" this week. Man...I am so jealous LK! That really is beautiful.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Stephanie on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:34 am

OOh, I'm jealous too :mrgreen: I ordered the audiobook (so much more affordable) but I wish I was getting a print copy. Oh well, I will have to take some kind of road trip and listen to Road Rage that way.
Stephanie

Postby Melissa on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:38 pm

Yeah, I didn't get the signed one - thanks LK for making me cry :(
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:55 am

My copy arrived yesterday in Scotland!

... and I was immediately disappointed.

F. Paul Wilson's signature is missing.

I emailed the publisher and they said that the author must have accidentally missed that page whilst signing the sheets.

And, what, you just went ahead and bound it into the book anyway!?! WTF...

Luckily he's coming to the World Horror Convention in Brighton England, on March 2010. I'd already signed up for this convention back in December.

http://www.whc2010.org/membership01.html

But I'm still pissed: this time last year when I pre-ordered this book the exchange rate, including shipping, was about £90. Of course, as we all knew the publisher wasn't charging folks' credit cards until January this year. And the exchange had changed. Dramatically. The book costed me £130.

That's an extra £40/$60.

Man, that bites, I tellya...

But, you know, this was a one-off treat. Fine. But the least the publisher could do is get someone to check that the books are actually signed before putting them in their shipping boxes!

Now I'm gonna have to take the risk of the book getting damaged in transit as I'll have to haul it with me to Brighton next year... :evil:
Paul_Campbell

Postby demorganakamark on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:54 am

Paul_Campbell wrote:My copy arrived yesterday in Scotland!

... and I was immediately disappointed.

F. Paul Wilson's signature is missing.

I emailed the publisher and they said that the author must have accidentally missed that page whilst signing the sheets.

And, what, you just went ahead and bound it into the book anyway!?! WTF...

Luckily he's coming to the World Horror Convention in Brighton England, on March 2010. I'd already signed up for this convention back in December.

http://www.whc2010.org/membership01.html

But I'm still pissed: this time last year when I pre-ordered this book the exchange rate, including shipping, was about £90. Of course, as we all knew the publisher wasn't charging folks' credit cards until January this year. And the exchange had changed. Dramatically. The book costed me £130.

That's an extra £40/$60.

Man, that bites, I tellya...

But, you know, this was a one-off treat. Fine. But the least the publisher could do is get someone to check that the books are actually signed before putting them in their shipping boxes!

Now I'm gonna have to take the risk of the book getting damaged in transit as I'll have to haul it with me to Brighton next year... :evil:

Thats all they said? No compensation since its basically not the book that you ordered. I would be pissed off as well.

well, im going to take mine to a richard matheson signing here in LA in the couple of weeks so that he can sign the couple that mary and i have.
demorganakamark

Postby LauraK on Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:55 pm

OMG, Paul....you need to email Barry Hoffman at Gauntlet Press, Gauntlet66@aol.com, and see what he can do. He was nothing but accommodating to me, very nice and professional.

This is unconscionable, imho.
This was not a cheap purchase and you deserve to have Every Effing Signature that's supposed to be there!

Sorry bout that Melissa.....hope you weren't seriously bummed?

LauraK

Postby This_Girl on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:50 pm

I am kicking myself for not ordering the signed / limited. *sighs* Well, when I get the regular version, unsigned...the stories will still be the same and that's what really matters...*heavier sigh*, Damn those signature pages look awesome and I, too, love SK & JH on their very own page.
This_Girl

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:51 am

LauraK wrote:OMG, Paul....you need to email Barry Hoffman at Gauntlet Press, Gauntlet66@aol.com, and see what he can do. He was nothing but accommodating to me, very nice and professional.

This is unconscionable, imho.
This was not a cheap purchase and you deserve to have Every Effing Signature that's supposed to be there!

I did, that was the gist of his reply I gave above. Here's his actual reply in full:

I apologize as I was obviously unaware there was a tipsheet he didn't sign. We sent him 750 tipsheets for the numbered edition and it appears there was one he didn't sign. Again, I do apologize.

Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

I've emailed F. Paul Wilson and he confirms that he's definitely coming to Brighton England next March as he has not been to the UK in years and a return is long over due. But, yeah, I really don't feel comfortable taking a £130 book in my case to the convention in order to get the signature sheet completed.

And I sure as hell ain't mailing the book to Mr. Wilson to get him to sign it right now: as I would have to insure it for the sum it cost me I reckon I wouldn't get change out of a $100, $50 there and back.

Mr. Hoffman, as you can see, did not offer this as a solution to the problem. No compensation of any kind was offered. I don't see why I should have to embarrass myself by emailing him again to ask for any. He should have offered.
Paul_Campbell

Postby demorganakamark on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 am

Yes, he should have. What an asshole. Like some have already echoed, this book isnt cheap. This definitely shines a different light on Barry and Gauntlet......

Fuck man, im still pissed off about that shit. They should at least give you a god damn gift card or some shit since you got the shaft, fucking bastards.
Hell, im going to check mine right now that i just got in.
demorganakamark

Next

Return to Miscellany