I need Joe Hill's Help. I'm in a pickle!

Talk about Joe's uncollected stories, non-fiction, and random pieces

I need Joe Hill's Help. I'm in a pickle!

Postby leda_andtheswan on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:12 pm

So you all know that Joe in an accomplished twitter, right. So I've been trying to get his attention on twitter for this simple request. I hope he comes through ...

My older sister who is amazingly brilliant, yet oddly reclusive and sometimes cruel has been a "constant reader" of your dads for … well, forever, since Salem's Lot I reckon; has decided to take a shine to you Mr. Hill, the likes of which I haven't witnessed in a long time -- she fairly well radiates with, "I Love Joe Hill". We both read Heart Shaped Box (loved it) and then recently she book mooched (doesn't have much money hardly ever purchases books even though I think she might die without them) 20th Century Ghost (after waiting long enough for the second coming) and has not been able to stop talking about it/you since. She was completely enraptured with Pop Art.

Now she's decided that she MUST read your comic books as well, even though she loathes comics. She received the bound collection of your comics last week and called me at work (completely non-kosher) to tell me how excited she was to read it and I know that she will read each word with agonizing slowness in order to prolong the pleasure (normally she reads like lightening consuming the words on the page like a greedy whore). She says that she is certain that someday your comics will be worth, like a God-zillion dollars.

She mailed me her 20th Century Ghost, being sure to tell me again and again that she wanted it back; normally we share books like we share genetics. She called me every day asking if I had received the package yet, for the oddity of this please refer to my description of her in the first sentence of this letter. Well, I did receive the package Friday, but only after my Professionally Trained, British Yellow Lab named Maddie had received it. Let's just say that it was well and thoroughly masticated. There is no back cover and I think there might be some pages missing in the middle, although I have been too horrified as yet to confirm. It is however readable and I finished Pop Art last night and what can I say, unlike my sister I am in complete awe of the short story genre, would do nothing but read short stories if I could find decent ones, and well you … hmm you rock! I must say though, in direct contradiction to my big sister that so far I think that 20th Century Ghost is hands-down the best story in the collection, but I've only read three.

I hope I've kept your attention this long, because here comes the catch. I was thinking since you twitter and I twitter and you're such a good guy and all that, maybe you'd autograph the new copy of 20th Century Ghost that I am compelled to purchase for her? Would you, huh? I'll mail it to you and pay for return postage. I know this could open a can of worms for you. Perhaps if we can negotiate a cooperation, we can remove these post, as I am of the mind that our business is our business. Your call Boss.
leda_andtheswan

Re: I need Joe Hill's Help. I'm in a pickle!

Postby leda_andtheswan on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:31 pm

You may reach me direct at rhondagmz@rgv.rr.com

Rhonda Gomez
4900-B North 10th Street
McAllen, Texas 78504

or at 956.821.2554
leda_andtheswan

Postby demorganakamark on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:20 pm

leda_andtheswan wrote:You may reach me direct at rhondagmz@rgv.rr.com

Rhonda Gomez
4900-B North 10th Street
McAllen, Texas 78504

or at 956.821.2554

Go here and order a copy( a signed copy by JOE). you will find it about 3/4 of the way down the page.
http://www.bettsbooks.com/

they are a legit/trusted seller.
Its 24.9? and that is about as good as it gets. You are happy, your sister should excited and forever grateful.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby leda_andtheswan on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks ever so much for that suggestion, but see it just doesn't have the same feel as my original request. I suppose a signed book is a signed book, but it will have no story which is a sad, sad thing.
leda_andtheswan

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:34 pm

leda_andtheswan wrote:Thanks ever so much for that suggestion, but see it just doesn't have the same feel as my original request. I suppose a signed book is a signed book, but it will have no story which is a sad, sad thing.

well, you do what you want. In the end its a signed book by Joe.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:20 am

leda_andtheswan wrote:Thanks ever so much for that suggestion, but see it just doesn't have the same feel as my original request. I suppose a signed book is a signed book, but it will have no story which is a sad, sad thing.

Just a couple of suggestions, Leda: First you might want to contact Shane (the WebMaster) by PM and have him remove your address & phone #. Most of the people who come to Joe's Place are extremely trustworthy, but you never know. Second, I'm pretty sure Joe will be doing some signings when the HC of "Head Games" comes out. When the appearances are posted you might consider calling the bookstore in advance and placing an order. They will only charge you the cost of the book and the shipping and in the past, Joe has been very accomodating about personalizing the inscription. At the very least they will get it signed for you. The only drawback is the patience you'll have to muster! I hope this helps. :D
Betsy_Boo

Postby leda_andtheswan on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Not too concerned about any one scamming my information, that's like the attorney general's office address -- not really, but close enough for gov'ment work. And yeah I might try the bookstore approach.
leda_andtheswan

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:24 am

That's how I got my HSB signed as well as my WTL. Joe mentions on his blog that the HC of "Head Games" is coming out next month so it's not such a long wait. At any rate, good luck!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Return to Miscellany