Is that all there is...or are there more?

Talk about Joe's uncollected stories, non-fiction, and random pieces

Is that all there is...or are there more?

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 am

Hey Shane...Are all of Joe's published works listed here on the site? The reason I ask is because I was messing around on Amazon and they have 2 copies (out of print I assume) of something called Black Box by Joe Hill. Now I realize that Joe Hill is probably a common name and there may be more than one. Also, I wondered if it was an early, foreign edition of HSB...you know how some countries change the title? They didn't give any real information about the book itself. Anyway, I was just wondering if the listing of all his published works was up-to-date. Thanks....
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: Is that all there is...or are there more?

Postby necropolitan-press on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:02 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Hey Shane...Are all of Joe's published works listed here on the site? The reason I ask is because I was messing around on Amazon and they have 2 copies (out of print I assume) of something called Black Box by Joe Hill.

That was published at the beginning of the year by Heyne-Verlag, the German publishing division of Random House. Black Box is 20th Century Ghosts in the German language. They also published Blind, which is Heart-Shaped Box.
necropolitan-press

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:09 pm

Thanks Necro...I was wondering if I was missing out on something.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:45 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Hey Shane...Are all of Joe's published works listed here on the site?

No, they're not. For the most part, Joe's stuff is mentioned somewhere along the way, but there are a couple of gaps here and there, and they exist like that on Joe's call. He's made mention in the past here on the board of two such examples

Joe Hill wrote:"The Lady Rests" and "Collaborators" aren't mentioned on my website, mainly because they're lousy stories and I usually try to pretend they don't exist.

But, like I said, for the most part, he or I will have made mention of his work either in here or on the main site.

Betsy_Boo wrote:The reason I ask is because I was messing around on Amazon and they have 2 copies (out of print I assume) of something called Black Box by Joe Hill. Now I realize that Joe Hill is probably a common name and there may be more than one. Also, I wondered if it was an early, foreign edition of HSB...you know how some countries change the title? They didn't give any real information about the book itself. Anyway, I was just wondering if the listing of all his published works was up-to-date. Thanks....

The correct answer has already been given, but a good reminder of things would be: in the act of translating things to other countries, there's always an adjustment. Sometimes this is most obvious with the title itself, like you said.

Those aforementioned omissions were long ago, and going forward, I can't imagine Joe not wanting to remark on a publication forthcoming.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:25 pm

Thanks Shane...I'd really hate to think I may have missed something along the way!

Betsy_Boo

Return to Miscellany