Joe Hill intro in new Peter Crowther book...

Talk about Joe's uncollected stories, non-fiction, and random pieces

Joe Hill intro in new Peter Crowther book...

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:23 am

Peter Crowther is the publisher behind PS Publishing, which produces Postscripts magazine and, of course, released Joe's very first book, 20th Century Ghosts, back in October 2005.

Pete started his publishing venture, PS, back in '99, but he was known in the science fiction, horror & fantasy genres long before that (for instance the cult favourite novel Escardy Gap (1996) written with James Lovegrove (himself the author of the superb 1990 short novel The Hope, a horror fantasia about a ship 5 miles long and 1 mile high; think J.G. Ballard's High-Rise at sea) for Pete is also a very accomplished writer in his own right.

I'm almost always just a paperback reading-copy type of guy. But I love Pete's Postscripts magazine and I've met him at Fantasycon in Nottingham, England during the last few years that I've started attending.

He's an absolute gentleman of the small press so I decided to blow the budget and treat myself to one of these limited editions the small press seem to go in for, or in this case one of the Very Special Editions. (Usually a 'limited' edition is, say, a couple of hundred copies. The special edition of this book is the same, with 200 being signed by Pete alone. But the very special edition has everyone's signature - and there's only 52 copies! :shock: )

The book consists of four novellas, each introduced by a prominent genre writer.

Paul_Campbell

Re: Joe Hill intro in new Peter Crowther book...

Postby This_Girl on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:15 am

That is GREAT!
What an item to have in your collection, though your collection has already impressed me more than ever...this just makes it more amazing.
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:17 pm

That is so cool Paul and I would love to know more about it but I went to the PS website and couldn't find this book...is it already sold out?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Wow, what a fabulous book to have! I'm envious but not in that "7-deadly-sins" kinda way.....more a smiling, wish-I-could-borrow-it for-a-day kinda way! :)

Let us know what you think of the stories, Joe's in particular.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:15 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:That is so cool Paul and I would love to know more about it but I went to the PS website and couldn't find this book...is it already sold out?

The book is published by Humdrumming Press, a relatively new UK small press publisher which has already gained a reputation at Fantasycon for producing lovely quality paperback editions of new books by the likes of Mark Morris, Joe Lane, Garry Kilworth, Tim Lebbon and so on. As of this year they've started to produce hardbacks and limited editions - Pete's is the first. Pete's previous short story collections have been issued by the likes of Subterranean Press and Cemetery Dance.

The 200 copy edition - signed by Pete alone - was released at the end of April. This 52 copy edition has only just been released this week, due to delays in gathering all five signatures from the contributors.

The 52 copy edition sold out at the beginning of April.

However, copies of the 200 copy edition are still available (£25/$50):

http://www.humdrumming.co.uk/books/978- ... -56-8.html

And for those interested in Pete's other books, here's his Fantastic Fiction web entry:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/peter-crowther/
Paul_Campbell

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:40 am

Thanks for the info, Paul. I feel kinda stupid that I was unaware of Mr. Crowther's work. I'd love to read it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Barry_Wood on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:28 am

Thanks for keeping us posted, Paul. What a nice thread to return to on Sunday afternoon in Halifax. Very cool indeed!
Barry_Wood

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:32 pm

Well...I checked it out and I'd love to read it, but I'm afraid I blew my book budget this month on the Subterranean Press book that came with the "Thumbprint" chapbook and Who Can Save Us Now? My mom sent me some money for my birthday and that's where it went. Still, I'm thinking if I do a little research I might be able to afford something of Pete's next month. I'm very curious about his writing.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:43 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Well...I checked it out and I'd love to read it, but I'm afraid I blew my book budget this month on the Subterranean Press book that came with the "Thumbprint" chapbook and Who Can Save Us Now? My mom sent me some money for my birthday and that's where it went. Still, I'm thinking if I do a little research I might be able to afford something of Pete's next month. I'm very curious about his writing.

Hey, Betsy, why not try the Free Speculative Fiction website?

This is a totally legal, genuine and - indeed - highly regarded website which MANY well known genre writers allow to post free copies of some of their short stories as a way of introducing new readers to their work.

Here's Peter Crowther's entry, containing two of his short stories:

http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Peter_Crowther.html
Paul_Campbell

Postby demorganakamark on Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Paul_Campbell wrote:
Betsy_Boo wrote:Well...I checked it out and I'd love to read it, but I'm afraid I blew my book budget this month on the Subterranean Press book that came with the "Thumbprint" chapbook and Who Can Save Us Now? My mom sent me some money for my birthday and that's where it went. Still, I'm thinking if I do a little research I might be able to afford something of Pete's next month. I'm very curious about his writing.

Hey, Betsy, why not try the Free Speculative Fiction website?

This is a totally legal, genuine and - indeed - highly regarded website which MANY well known genre writers allow to post free copies of some of their short stories as a way of introducing new readers to their work.

Here's Peter Crowther's entry, containing two of his short stories:

http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Peter_Crowther.html

which book came with thumbprint
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:03 pm

Thank you so much Paul! I'll definitely read them. I've noticed lately that a lot of authors have become very generous regarding this sort of thing. I went to Kelly Link's website after seeing her name on the boat in the last L&K (and after the discussion here about it) and she has some short stories posted right there on her site! I read one and fell in love with her writing and have her on my to-buy/to-read list. I think this is a great idea!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Oh...sorry. I almost missed your question at the bottom of your post. The book is Subterranean Tales of Dark Fantasy:

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Mercha ... t_Count=38

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:15 pm

Sorry mark...it was you that asked that question. Getting old sucks sometimes. Anyway, I'm gonna try to get to it soon, probably after WCSUN, "Thumbprint" and a book hubby wants me to read called Straw Men. I can't believe how big my to-read pile is getting. And here I thought that after leaving the bookstore I'd run out of things to read!

Betsy_Boo

Return to Miscellany