Newsletter?

Talk about Joe's uncollected stories, non-fiction, and random pieces

Newsletter?

Postby necropolitan-press on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:41 pm

Earlier today I was contemplating the 80s trend of fans to write newsletters dedicated to their favorite authors (this pattern was invoked by my going through some of my old Lovecraft Collector newsletters). I know this form of information exchange died because the internet became a quicker and easier method to do the same, but I miss the tactile nature of the newsletter.

I bring this up because I'm thinking about starting one: a newsletter about Joe Hill to be precise. All I'd charge for each issue would be the cost of actually printing it and the mailing fee for it; my services to create it would be donated. First of all, would anyone on here be interested in getting such a thing? It would be pointless to do if nobody wanted it, afterall.

If folks are interested enough, I'll try to contact Mr. Hill and see if I couldn't get him to contribute something each issue. I'd only be looking to do a simple four page newsletter, nothing fancy.

So, what do you think?
necropolitan-press

Re: Newsletter?

Postby Shane on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:29 pm

necropolitan-press wrote:So, what do you think?

Don't mistake my following statement as an attempt to dissuade you in any way, but... with Joe's blog entries, the message board and all the many threads, topics, and contents, in addition to the MySpace updates whenever they're needed, I don't see the need for a newsletter, really. I always kind of saw the aforementioned triumvirate as being the only newsletter people really needed. Of course, this doesn't mean making another one isn't possible, but since these three sites are officially Joe's, it's really the only place one needs to go for their Joe Hill News, if you see what I mean. Another one would just be an echo of what people would already know, read, and/or discover here. It's not exactly the same thing, but it vaguely reminds me of when someone from time to time pops up and asks about making an official site of some sort for Joe, when the fact is, we've got them already.

Again, please don't confuse this with being negative, or even territorial in some way -- as that's not how I meant it. I can appreciate the nostalgic feeling you're describing, for sure. I remember the old newsletters and subscription to fanzines and whatnot. But, you're right about how the internet changed everything like this completely.

Aside from my duties here, I'd have to say that I wouldn't be interested in purchasing something that I could get faster, and cheaper (thanks to the Internet) at this point, except to have a hard copy of something. And, I can always print what I need from the 'net.

...just my $.02
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Barry_Wood on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:00 pm

It's a very good, tactful suggestion. I understand your excitement to help spread the word on Joe Hill. However, perhaps you could approach another author who doesn't have a website, forum, or blog and your newsletter on him or her would help get the word around and about on an up-and-coming author.

That's my humble $0.01 worth, a penny less than Shane's.
Barry_Wood

Postby necropolitan-press on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:55 pm

Shane wrote:Don't mistake my following statement as an attempt to dissuade you in any way, but... with Joe's blog entries, the message board and all the many threads, topics, and contents, in addition to the MySpace updates whenever they're needed, I don't see the need for a newsletter, really.

Thanks for the input, Shane. All the above — of course — I realize and recognize. I just don't find reading the internet sites as exciting as when those newsletter's used to arrive at my house. At typically a buck an issue, those were great little insights into your author of choice; interviews, news, rarities, etc. And yes, a lot of that is currently available for free on the internet, but I was hoping others longed for the print matter feel. Alas, it appears I was in a minority.

Thanks to all for your replies. It was merely an idea I wished to toss out there and see how it stood.
necropolitan-press

Postby necropolitan-press on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Barry_Wood wrote:It's a very good, tactful suggestion. I understand your excitement to help spread the word on Joe Hill. However, perhaps you could approach another author who doesn't have a website, forum, or blog and your newsletter on him or her would help get the word around and about on an up-and-coming author.

Thanks for the reply, Barry. Websites, forums, blogs, etc. are the best means to spread the word on someone; newsletters were more like an update means for the hardcore fan. And I have built websites, forums and blogs for other authors that are "up-and-coming" — but it certainly isn't the same by any means. Regardless, thanks again for the input.
necropolitan-press

Postby Shane on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:55 pm

necropolitan-press wrote:Thanks for the input, Shane. All the above — of course — I realize and recognize. I just don't find reading the internet sites as exciting as when those newsletter's used to arrive at my house. At typically a buck an issue, those were great little insights into your author of choice; interviews, news, rarities, etc. And yes, a lot of that is currently available for free on the internet, but I was hoping others longed for the print matter feel. Alas, it appears I was in a minority.

Thanks to all for your replies. It was merely an idea I wished to toss out there and see how it stood.

And, you know, I was a fan of those means back in the days before the Internet. [this is where I start to pull up my rocking chair, put a mug of moonshine next to me, and start swaying back and forth, talking about walking to school through broken glass and burning manure for miles, I know...]

The real thing for me isn't the money, as you brought up the cost of approximately one dollar. Which, by the way, is more than reasonable. It's the speed of it all. Newsletters nowadays are, as I'm sure you know, done (mostly) through email notification, and not because it's cheaper... but because it's faster than waiting for a week or so to get news when there's alternative ways of getting it.

Though maybe I misrepresented my stance as being more against paying for something in the previous post, what I should have phrased it as being against paying for something that isn't as fast as what we've got at our disposal, which we've already paid for, if that makes any more sense.

I'd rather it come across as being used to technology more than being a skinflint, you know? :)
Shane
Site Admin

Postby necropolitan-press on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:44 pm

Shane wrote:Though maybe I misrepresented my stance as being more against paying for something in the previous post, what I should have phrased it as being against paying for something that isn't as fast as what we've got at our disposal, which we've already paid for, if that makes any more sense.

I actually understood this reasoning the first time. I guess, in essence, when I pull out those old newsletters now it isn't the parts regarding what has come or is coming out that fascinate me, it's all the little tidbits that people contributed (interviews, rarities, essays, etc.). And — once again — it is all on the internet (or could be), but I just miss that rush of having it arrive in the mail, sitting down and leisurely delving into the world of the author for an hour or so.

Regardless, thanks to you all for replying to this topic. It's obviously not something that other people long to have return to the light of day. Alas.
necropolitan-press

Postby Shane on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:49 pm

necropolitan-press wrote:And — once again — it is all on the internet (or could be), but I just miss that rush of having it arrive in the mail

Yeah, I know how you feel.

Honestly, the only thing like this (and, it's not totally comparable) for me at this point is when I sit down and send out a personal letter or package in the mail, or get one in return. Damn, that reminds me... I totally have a couple of overdue items like that I *need* to get done and in the mail, pronto!
Shane
Site Admin

Postby necropolitan-press on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:00 pm

Shane wrote:Yeah, I know how you feel.

Honestly, the only thing like this (and, it's not totally comparable) for me at this point is when I sit down and send out a personal letter or package in the mail, or get one in return. Damn, that reminds me... I totally have a couple of overdue items like that I *need* to get done and in the mail, pronto!

What I really miss are the old bootleg CD (and before that cassette tape) mailing trees, but absolutely no one wants to do that anymore… they just want to download the songs from the internet. I get ARCs all the time in the mail (which I love, don't get me wrong), but it's still just not the same feeling as those newsletters; you really felt like you were holding something specially made for you back then.
necropolitan-press

Postby Shane on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm

necropolitan-press wrote:What I really miss are the old bootleg CD (and before that cassette tape) mailing trees, but absolutely no one wants to do that anymore… they just want to download the songs from the internet. I get ARCs all the time in the mail (which I love, don't get me wrong), but it's still just not the same feeling as those newsletters; you really felt like you were holding something specially made for you back then.

Funny you should mention those, as that was one of the things I was thinking of in an earlier post here. I used to scour the magazine Goldmine for traders, and even on the early days of Internet action, when high-speed service wasn't around, I was still into trading and sending out blank tapes/CDs for shows... it was awesome!

Like I said before -- I totally understand what you're missing.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby necropolitan-press on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:39 pm

Shane wrote:Funny you should mention those, as that was one of the things I was thinking of in an earlier post here. I used to scour the magazine Goldmine for traders, and even on the early days of Internet action, when high-speed service wasn't around, I was still into trading and sending out blank tapes/CDs for shows... it was awesome!

Oh, Goldmine; such fond memories. I remember back when the internet was mainly the usenet and you'd post to groups; some of those resulted in some great trading partners. Tell me some bands you're into, Shane… if I have any cool stuff from them, then I'll send you a CD-R or two. :D
necropolitan-press

Postby Barry_Wood on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 pm

I collect handwritten letters, etc., from authors and other people who inspire me so I know how you feel about getting something in the mail and opening it.
Barry_Wood

Return to Miscellany