The Surrealist's Glass (or Horns)

Talk about Joe's uncollected stories, non-fiction, and random pieces

Re: The Surrealist's Glass (or Horns)

Postby Shane on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:39 pm

LauraK wrote:Shane, I think your fingers have diarrhea, lol. ;)

They get that way from time to time. Part of the problem of being able to type kinds fast, I suppose... they get on a roll and I can't (don't wanna) stop 'em!
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Medusa_Hair_Club on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:37 pm

Ah, Shane, great question!

Yup, I frequently fall victim to judging a book by it's cover/title. I have a hard time getting captivated by one-word titles. Or take a title like McCammon's 'Boy's Life'. Not an overwhelming title, especially considering the wondrous things that happen in that book, yet after reading it, I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better title. I suspect I'll have a similar experience with 'Horns'.

And speaking of judging a book, while perusing my local horror section earlier this year, I found 'Speaks the Nightbird', and it's BRILLIANT follow-up 'The Queen of Bedlam'. For both of them, I thought the cover was neat, and the titles were great, so I started reading about them (again, based solely on the titles at first), bought them, and adored them.

I'm definitely biased toward strong titles, and also strong first sentences. If a book looks great, sounds great, but doesn't have a good first sentence, someone I trust has to rave about it for me to pick it up. Doesn't have to be an action-packed first sentence, certainly, just a well-written one.

And as for great titles, let's pile on some great ones here! I'll start with the title of (murmurs under his breath because he forgot the author's name)'s book of poetry called 'Said the Shotgun to the Head'.

And for the record? I'd be thrilled if Joe put out a book called Mr. Poopypants. For real.
Medusa_Hair_Club

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:05 pm

Sometimes names get changed so a book can be sold at Walmart without offending anyone.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:55 pm

Dana_Jean wrote:Sometimes names get changed so a book can be sold at Walmart without offending anyone.

And isn't that so freaking ironic?? EvilWalMart not wanting to offend anyone??

*sigh*

I do shop there, to my shame.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Nerak on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:26 am

A lot of times, I just like the look of the cover. Book names don't really mean too much to me. Sometimes it takes awhile for me to remember the name of the book I am reading, cause I am so focused on the content.

So, no, the title doesn't make much difference to me.
Nerak

Postby This_Girl on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:14 pm

Well shoot. It all comes into play for me. I have books that I picked up based on the cover...based on the author...based on the price, LOL. I can't offer much to this...
One in particular that I picked up was Heart Shaped Box....Based on title alone. It kept grabbing my attention when I'd log onto myspace it was there..HSB...and at first I thought "another Nirvana book?" being the fan I am. And I read the little info on it, author Joe Hill...who's that? Don't know... that was a few days that kept happening...I am sorry to say when I made it to the bookstore, it was not for HSB. It was for anything....and there it was and I grabbed it. So happy I did.

**** And, I am happy that my Nirvana obsession wasn't at it's peak...I wasn't nuts...The book title is linked to the song title so I don't feel like as much of a tool as I once did. I saw something on youtube. ****
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:45 pm

I thought I'd dredge this thread up to see if there is any news out there regarding HORNS. Anybody heard anything? I hate to be such a nag but I wouldn't mind a ballpark estimate. Joe? Shane? I think "Gunpowder" whet the old whistle for something new from you, novelly speaking. I'm definitely getting the "Road Rage" audio at the end of February, but it won't take long to rip through that. Anyway...thought I throw the question out there and see if anyone knows anything.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby The_Fourth_Craw on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:37 am

Well...I have to tell you that in the back of my signed hardcover L&K (for which I am still extremely grateful for Joe!!) under biographies, Joe drew a line through THE SURREALIST'S GLASS, drew an arrow and wrote in HORNS (how cool is that?). I would assume that makes it a pretty sure bet although I suppose he could still change his mind.

I got my signed Locke and Key only recently and like BB, Horns had been written in exactly the same way as in BB's edition. Joe also drew a very nice "Key" doodle as well, (Thanks Joe!) So I think its safe to assume that Horns is the title...
The Fourth Craw

The_Fourth_Craw

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Hey...sorry to be such a nag but is there any news on when HORNS will be out? Everytime I read something of yours, Joe, I'm wanting more. A ballpark time frame would satisfy.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:47 pm

I was reading my post before last and I realized I AM a nag. Sorry. :(

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:43 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Hey...sorry to be such a nag but is there any news on when HORNS will be out? Everytime I read something of yours, Joe, I'm wanting more. A ballpark time frame would satisfy.

Take this with a huge grain of salt, since we all know I'm not the one writing it -- but, I know from experience that a story is done when...it's done. It can take several drafts, or just a couple. Sure, there are deadlines to be met, and that's all well and good, but since it's a WIP (work-in-progress) you'll have to appreciate that it's not necessarily easy to time-stamp such things. Believe me -- when there's word on it, like with all of Joe's work, we'll post it everywhere. It's not going to be a secret! =)
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks Shane...I know you are good about letting us know and I'm sorry that I keep asking. I'm going to try really hard to be patient because I know that Joe is working hard and not going to do a half-assed job. I know it will be worth the wait. I'm just ready to read something really, really good and everytime I read Joe's work I get excited about what's next! :)

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:18 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:Thanks Shane...I know you are good about letting us know and I'm sorry that I keep asking. I'm going to try really hard to be patient because I know that Joe is working hard and not going to do a half-assed job. I know it will be worth the wait. I'm just ready to read something really, really good and everytime I read Joe's work I get excited about what's next! :)

I can totally appreciate that, really. And, you're welcome too, of course. The thing to remember is: it's ready when it's ready. Not before, just when it *is*. It's not gonna be secretly published to people only living in specific colored houses, or made available to only people whose last names end in question marks. When it's coming out, Joe (or I) will make the rounds saying so, just like we did with the other books on the main site. That blog there goes back a ways, and you'll see by poking through the early stages of it that there was plenty of time given for people to know something was upcoming. All that is well and good, and I know people ask out of excitement, so when they do, this is the answer they're likely to receive.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Well...as long as no one get ticked off at me I'm good. Hope you and Joe are too.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Nerak on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:17 am

can't wait, need new Joe material!! Joe, need a proof reader???? I am out of work for the month of April on maternity leave. Lots of time for proof reading :)
Nerak

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellany