CORALINE

Talk about what you're watchin'.

CORALINE

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Yep, just got home and it was terrific. Enchanting and visually just mind blowing, you MUST see it in 3-D.

AND just an additional warning, stay until the end of the credits. A stunningly amazing visual effect right at the end of the credits.

Also at the end, a note that said:

'for those in the know: jerk wad'

Anyone in "the know" care to elaborate on that for us?
Dana_Jean

Re: CORALINE

Postby LauraK on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Can't wait to see it! Jake's off til Tues, sow e'll either go tomorrow or Monday, 3D all the way! Who'd want to see this in 2D??
:D

PS- I'd heard about the credits effects but don't you feel like you might miss something at every damn movie if you don't sit thru to the veryvery end??
I do....damn filmmakers, lol.

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:02 pm

LK, you are going to love it. Beautifully done, I was captivated. The end effect is maybe 20 seconds long, but it is such an amazing part of the whole, and the fact that you pay so much just to see the film, you might as well get every pennies worth. And, my thoughts as that last effect unfurled before me was just the time and talent and creativity that went into not only the entire movie, but this last 20 seconds. You know they were working so hard to get it just perfect.

I'm a total fangirl and I'll admit it. I can't wait to read the book and I hope they release this as 3-D on DVD because I'll own it. It won't be quite the same as seeing it on that huge screen in all its glory, but, it's a keeper for sure.
Dana_Jean

Postby grasking on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:00 pm

You haven't read the book yet?
grasking

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:23 pm

No, I haven't gras, but I can't wait now. It's moved up in my TBR pile to NEXT. I have 5 Gaiman books I've never read sitting in my house and they have all just moved up. After listening to THE GRAVEYARD BOOK, I can't wait to read more of his stuff.
Dana_Jean

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:59 pm

Was the movie really that good. I have heard from other reliable sources that it was a little slow and boring.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:57 pm

I thought it was amazing. I guess I just lost myself in the artistry of it all. I didn't think the story was boring at all, the time sitting and watching went by very quickly. Often during movies, I find I'm frequently checking the time. I did not do that with this one. I invested myself 100%, so I thought it was great.
Dana_Jean

Postby prncsspwr on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:28 am

I really enjoyed this movie. I haven't read the book (YET) but the story was engaging and I wasn't bored. My only issue is that I didn't see it in 3D and I was kinda distracted by scenes that were meant to be in 3D. You know when you watch a 3D movie without the glasses and things just feel slightly disorienting? Just makes me wanna see it again in 3D though. And stay through the credits this time.
prncsspwr

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:43 am

Well, thats it for me. I HAVE TO SEE IT. One thing that stuck in my mind was Joe's comparison to LOST IN TRANSLATION ( I adore that movie) and some of his recommendations in the past( THE PROPOSITION) has been llttle jems. Now that DJ and Prncss are giving it two big thumbs up, that pretty much sealed the deal.
demorganakamark

Postby grasking on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:45 am

Just read Joe's comment about Lost in Translation being the kind of movie that makes you love movies, for me it's Amelie.

I still need to see Coraline. I loved the book. I may reread before going to see it.
grasking

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:54 am

I found out what the 'jerk wad' comment was for. Apparently if you go to the Coraline.com Web presence, you can win a pair of Coraline inspired tennis shoes or something if you find the right place to plug in that phrase. If any of you go looking, would you let me know what it was all about?

As far as the 3D, I can't remember for sure, but I think the last 3D I saw in a theater was Jaws Part Deux or Jaws III or Jaws the Prequel or Jaws the Sequel or Jaws--I Know What You Did to that Squid Last Summer. Yeah, I know, that was a long time ago and the technology has just blossomed since-- literally in this movie. Henry's team deserves all of our praises and I hope they read every single one and soak them in until their heads are exploding. The creativity is just beautiful.
Dana_Jean

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:11 pm

grasking wrote:Just read Joe's comment about Lost in Translation being the kind of movie that makes you love movies, for me it's Amelie.

I still need to see Coraline. I loved the book. I may reread before going to see it.

I agree as well. Amelie is such a wonderful movie.
demorganakamark

Postby LauraK on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Believe it or not, My Bloody Valentine in 3D was awesome! They didn't do any cheesy aiming-at-the-audience effects, the blood and gore took me back to the 80's and it kept us guessing til the end! I was very pleasantly surprised...I expected a crappy knock-off but we had fun!

Jake and I are seeing Coraline Mon morning- I can't wait!!! :D

I'll check out the official site and see what's happening...

LauraK

Postby prncsspwr on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 pm

Saw Coraline again, this time in 3D. I am impressed that 3D has gotten more subtle, no real leap outs to scare the audience, just gradual stuff to pull them in. I remember when I was in college my brother and I went to the Terminator 3D movie at Universal Studios and it made me kinda nauseated.
prncsspwr

Postby LauraK on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:07 pm

We just got back- loved it!! It truly was a thing of beauty. The details are amazing...need to see it more to catch everything. The colors pop....every wrinkle and fleck of dirt is perfect and perfectly real. The look of a dirty windshield? Sounds silly but I was awed by that.....

Loved the MI references since that's where we live.....the Detroit Zoo snowglobe was cool, as I have pictures of us in front of that statue at the zoo, lol.

I was reminded of Nightmare Before Christmas more than once- that made me smile.

Great story, now must get the book. :)

Dana, I went to the site and found where you put the jerk wad. It enters you to win a hand-stitched pair of Coraline inspired Nikes. :) I'll PM you.....
Anyone else who's ever been to, say, JK Rowling's official site should have no trouble finding it.

(Jacob was a little shocked and mildly embarrassed by the Other-world burlesque show, lol. I thought it was a riot...)

LauraK

Next

Return to Movies and TV