GENERATION KILL

Talk about what you're watchin'.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat May 17, 2008 7:29 pm

val04463 wrote:Yup..I'd much rather be known as Generation Peace, Pot and Papers!!

Or "Make Love, Not War!"
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby doodoobird on Sun May 25, 2008 12:46 am

And that really worked.
There will never be everlasting peace on THIS planet.
It is in our nature to be twisted fucks.
doodoobird

Re: GENERATION KILL

Postby doodoobird on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:25 am

I posted about this show a while ago but has anyone here seen it? I fucking LOVE this show. Very entertaining. But I love it for its realism. So so so so authentic. I've heard of some military personal being upset over this show. They stated various reasons but I think the real reasons are because the know how REAL this show is and they dont want that to be made public. I DO think it focuses a little (just a little) too much of the negative but IT IS from the perspective of a civilian so it DOES fit in. Anyone interested: the war on this show is very different from the war that followed. This show is based on the first three weeks of the war. The invasion, not the occupation. Anyway, I posted about how all the acronyms would be confusing for the average viewer. Well? What do you think? :?
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Janice on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:20 pm

ddb - I tried watching this show, the episode where they're trying to cross the bridge and one LMTV makes it across but the rest of the convoy doesn't, and then they start taking fire??

That's about as far as I got with it, since the roommate (8 years Infantry, 5 JAG) started whooping and hollering about how that same exact thing happened to him back in the first push...

So, realism? Check. Though I can't really comment on whether military slang is confusing, since I'm a vet and I currently co-habitate with one, it translates pretty well onscreen. And there *are* army-to-civilian translation manuals all over the internet if it really bothers anyone. Hell, the producers could publish one as a marketing scheme if it's really a problem.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby doodoobird on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:32 am

There have been several incidents in the show where I had that same that happened to me moment. There is a part in the second episode where the gunner almost gets his head caught in the low hanging electrical wires. Scared the shit out of me. Its a really good series. HBO always does it for me. The last episode was great. It touched me. Not in the kind of way some priest like to.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Janice on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:17 am

*snort*

Funny you mentioned the wires, since in the single episode I watched a gunner got clothes-lined, and the roommate busted up laughing and said that shit happened all the time.

So there was this part where the guys were looking through their scopes at night and they spotted a bunch of guys walking through this field. So I turn to the roomate and ask him what you do in a situation like that. I mean, it's not like they're *doing* anything, right? Just taking a nighttime stroll or whatever, right? He gives me a you-must-be-stupid look and rolls his eyes.

He's like, no. You shoot them. Fast.

Sure enough, on screen, the nighttime-constitutional guys start going all crazy shooting up the convoy.

Guess the Amy saved a bunch of lives by not sending me downrange.... :roll:

Optimism'll get ya killed every time.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby doodoobird on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:58 pm

Yeah, its a really fucked up dirty war.I understand what your roommate said to a certain extent. You see, in most cities (the more violent ones) there is a curfew in place. 99% of the people you see outside during a curfew are up to no good. Maybe not that early in the war, before the rules of life under occupation (also, to be fair, life under terrorism) really settled in the minds of the average joe (or Muhammad, I should say). But to just shoot them like that probably aint the wisest decision. And I KNOW that is not how we soldiers are trained. Rules of engagement change from AO to AO (area of operation) but nowhere in these rules will it ever say to engage before hostile intent is confirmed. In fact, some of the rules of engagement define hostile intent as something extremely ridiculous. For example: I remember a time where a recent (unfortunate) incident that involved the death of an unarmed Iraqi civilian convinced the military that a soldier on the battlefield could not establish hostile intent until they could hear the ping of bullets bouncing of the armor (very cheap armor, mind you) of their vehicle. The militarys goal was to reduce civilian deaths. Only, it was at the cost of their own soldiers deaths. If my memory serves me correct, this new rule did not last for more then a week. The higher ups were always searching for a happy medium, it seemed. Thats just the reality of counter insurgency. It seemed they were always fighting this war along the rules of conventional warfare. Thank God they finally got rid of Rumsfeld and put in Petraus. The guy who actually wrote the book on counter insurgency. He proved that insurgency's can be defeated, but never by an excessive amount of force. By the way, some of what am saying may not apply to GENERATION KILL. The show is based off of the first three weeks of the war (except for the last episode, that one gave a glimpse of what was to come. The occupation, the insurgency, the chaos and lack of soldiers, e.t.c). Those first three weeks (still in high school at the time, actually) WAS like a conventional war to some extent. Anyway, great fucking show.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Previous

Return to Movies and TV