GENERATION KILL

Talk about what you're watchin'.

GENERATION KILL

Postby doodoobird on Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Really tired of talking about Iraq but I have to mention this. Yesterday I was hired to watch the first two episodes of an upcoming HBO show called 'generation kill'. During the invasion of Iraq, rolling stones magazine sent one of their journalist to be embedded with a marine recon unit that was leading the charge to Baghdad. He wrote a book of the same name, now being turned into an HBO miniseries.
The first episode was an introduction, really. Learning about the characters and getting ready to leave Kuwait. Not bad. The second episode really picked up the pace. It was pretty much the first week of the war. Lots of action, tons of excitement. The show looks promising. It should be airing in July, not really sure.
Our job was to give our opinions on the two episodes we watched. The show is extremely realistic. Its definitely NOT hollywood bullshit. The only problem I have with it is I can people who never served in the military being confused being that the show relies heavily on acronyms and military jargon. I commented on this though I doubt they will fix it.
Anyway, HBO truly makes quality television. OZ, THE SOPRANOS, ROME, DEADWOOD, the list goes on. I highly recommend this show. :o
doodoobird

Postby jodi on Wed May 14, 2008 8:50 pm

Didn't you post about this somewhere else already?
I heart
jodi

Postby This_Girl on Wed May 14, 2008 9:03 pm

I really liked Sopranos, Deadwood, and Big Love. Of course, Curb Yr Enthusiasm! I like their series, however, I cannot stand the waiting and waiting for the next season to begin. And, Deadwood was NOT finished!
This_Girl

Postby doodoobird on Wed May 14, 2008 9:50 pm

I did mention it somewhere else. I am just going into greater detail now that I have actually seen it. :D But thanks for making me feel like a broken record. :lol:
doodoobird

Postby jodi on Wed May 14, 2008 10:34 pm

Glad I could help. :wink:
I heart
jodi

Postby val04463 on Thu May 15, 2008 10:27 am

I LOVE all HBO shows. And I am from a Military family and Military Town, so the Acronyms will be OK. I'm not being mean or picky..but the magazine is Rolling Stone...no "S"..The group was the Stones. :)

But it would be kind of fun for you to post the Acronyms you think might be trouble and we can guess what they mean..or perhaps "make-up" some. Dana Jean and I have huge distorted imaginations. Could be fun!!

Oh Yeah...Joe had a pretty good imagination too..as do many of our Board "Sometimes Bored" family!!

How a bout it? We could all join in! We all have diverse jobs and backgrounds . I will Start a new thread just in case anyone wants to join in!!
val04463

Postby val04463 on Thu May 15, 2008 10:31 am

I am curious..does it bother you it is called "Generation Kill"?

I write for our home town newspaper, and my class of 1973 had our 30th reunion and I casually mentioned in the article that we had seen so much horror on TV from The Vietnam War, from our first killing to women and babies being massacred.....etc.
Well the next time I was downtown the wife of a Vietnam Vet blasted me and said were we never going to let that kind of talk rest and on and on..I was trying to show how we had turned out pretty damn good and she made me seem like a hate monger..

Anyhoo...Generation Kill..Good or bad?
val04463

Postby doodoobird on Thu May 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Well, its a catchy name. As far as if its politically motivated or if the title has deeper meaning, I dont know.
The truth of the matter is that my generation (I am closing in on my mid-twenties) CAN CERTAINLY be called generation kill. Take a look at the things that influenced people in my age group growing up and it is certainly understandable.
doodoobird

Postby doodoobird on Thu May 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Acronyms:
SOP, QRF, MOP, CO, BC, TTC, TTP,
I gotta go. But the list can go on and on and on.....
doodoobird

Postby val04463 on Thu May 15, 2008 3:15 pm

SOP Standard Operating Proceedure?
CO Commanding Officer?
QRF--Quick Something?
MOP Military Operating Proceedure?
val04463

Postby LauraK on Fri May 16, 2008 12:13 pm

QRF- Quick, Run fast

BC- British Columbia

TTC- Too Too Cool

TTP- Trafficked Toilet Paper(fancy-stuff sent by friends on the down-low)

MOP- the floor, it's dirty

(You know I'm being silly....only ones I know are Standard Operating Procedure and Commanding Officer.) :P

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby doodoobird on Fri May 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Laura K, I thought you were serious at first. Very funny but all of you are completely off. I hope this show fixes the problem because the average viewer is gonna be confused.
doodoobird

Postby LauraK on Fri May 16, 2008 7:49 pm

...all of you are completely off.

We know that, it's why we all get along so well.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Jane on Sat May 17, 2008 9:53 am

"Generation Kill" huh? How very sad....our generation was all about giving peace a chance. Imagine!

(oh wow, I managed to use not one but two Beatles references!) :)
"Every day takes figurin' out all over again, how to fuckin live" - Calamity Jane, Deadwood
Jane

Postby val04463 on Sat May 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Yup..I'd much rather be known as Generation Peace, Pot and Papers!!
val04463

Next

Return to Movies and TV