I Am Legend

Talk about what you're watchin'.

I Am Legend

Postby rat_girl on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Did anyone see this film, what did you think, and have you read the book? I think everyone should rush out ( or onto ebay) and get hold of a copy, its a fantastic book. The film was awful! Richard Matterson's book is a bleak and poetic story of isolation, where as the film was just Will Smith being (moodie) Will Smith.
rat_girl

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:47 pm

I agree that the film is nothing more than a glimmer of what the book was.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Jude on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:35 am

It may not have been 'the book on screen' and, that's the way it should be, doing a straight adaptation of a book takes no talent at all, but, to create the world of Robert Neville and look at it from a different angle... Of course I'm referring to the "original" ending or "alternate" ending as its publicised. If you haven't seen the "alternate" ending I strongly urge anyone that originally saw this in cinemas or DVD to watch the film with the Original ending in its entirety. Those few minutes not only paint such a different landscape of the world of Robert Neville but tells us so much more about Robert and his 'self belief' that he can "cure" the infected and what that truly entails with its own ramifications. I don't want to say anything that could spoil the true ending of this film and how dystopic it is in relation to the book. I would easily say that I Am Legend with the original ending is more in tune with the book than I could have possibly imagined. So much so that it brought a tear to my eye.
I am stretched on your grave and will lie there forever,
If your hands were in mine, I'd be sure they'd not sever,
My appletree, my brightness 'tis time we were together,
For I smell of the earth and am worn by the weather. "
Jude

Postby Paul_Campbell on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:11 pm

I read the book years ago and enjoyed it immensely.

I enjoyed the movie, too; it worked on its own basis. I'm never that particularly bothered if a movie adaptation is faithful or not, as long as it works within the medium it's presented.

'Course, exception to this is the Charlton Heston movie Soylent Green from the early '70s... complete bastardization of Harry Harrison's fine novel Make Room! Make Room!

Another thing: I am Legend making half a billion dollars worldwide; bound to sell more copies of the book. And a precentage of those readers will, I have no doubt, go on to seek out more of Matheson's stuff. So all in all, no bad thing! :D
Paul_Campbell

Postby LauraK on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Funny you should mention Soylent Green, Paul. I pair that one with Omega Man in my memory...they go together from my childhood- 2 movies I loved. :)

I didn't know SG was based on a book- I'll have to check that out.

I didn't really think much of I Am Legend....it was just "eh" to me. :)

I have the Vincent Price adaptation, Last Man on Earth but haven't watche dit yet. I've heard it's good.

I agree- anything that introduces Matheson to new readers is a good thing. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Mercy on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:21 pm

I really liked this movie up until the end, then it just crushed me. I've never read the book, but would like to, I'll have to see if my library has it.
Mercy

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:59 am

I didn't like the movie and I think the alternate ending was even worse. The only thing they didn't do there was waving the flag all over the place. Sorry if it offends all you USAians here, but for most people in Europe the pinnacle of giving an American film a bad ending is to wave the stripey flag in a sort of 'look at us, we survived, we are the strong' way. Every time such thing happens in some movie, we just slide down from the seats and wither on the floor in embarassment. It doesn't have to be the flag itself, of course. Eg. in "I, Robot" (which I enjoyed immensely, assuming it would be just a cool robot fighting flick) it's some planes flying over the hero with a trail of smoke (why? Can anybody tell what it has to do with the plot anyway? :) ). So, the not-American me didn't enjoy both endings.

For me the film should end or go drastically elsewhere right after Robert falls asleep in the tub. Up to this point the movie is just brilliant and the moment with the screams outside as Neville tries to close his eyes moved me deeply. I also liked the scene where he has to kill his dog - much more emotional than some vampire zombie love. And I haven't even owned a dog in my life.
And as I slit it open
It became clear to me that
Scalpel cuts are not as easy to close
As I'd suspected earlier.
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:10 am

No offense taken Iz. Maybe they do that shit to try to convince us Americans it's still true. We're easily distract..oh look at the pretty flowers.
Dana_Jean

Postby val04463 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Shit..I've been avoiding the movie 'cause I was afeared something awful happened to the dog....Izydor Ingwar I. just laid the cards on the table!!!
val04463

Postby Mercy on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Izydor Ingwar I. wrote:I didn't like the movie and I think the alternate ending was even worse. The only thing they didn't do there was waving the flag all over the place. Sorry if it offends all you USAians here, but for most people in Europe the pinnacle of giving an American film a bad ending is to wave the stripey flag in a sort of 'look at us, we survived, we are the strong' way. Every time such thing happens in some movie, we just slide down from the seats and wither on the floor in embarassment. It doesn't have to be the flag itself, of course. Eg. in "I, Robot" (which I enjoyed immensely, assuming it would be just a cool robot fighting flick) it's some planes flying over the hero with a trail of smoke (why? Can anybody tell what it has to do with the plot anyway? :) ). So, the not-American me didn't enjoy both endings.

For me the film should end or go drastically elsewhere right after Robert falls asleep in the tub. Up to this point the movie is just brilliant and the moment with the screams outside as Neville tries to close his eyes moved me deeply. I also liked the scene where he has to kill his dog - much more emotional than some vampire zombie love. And I haven't even owned a dog in my life.

Huh, to be honest I'ld never thought of it that way before, the flag waving thing that is. I suppose it's something I should consider.
And I hated the scene with the dog, I've owned pets and it completely tore me up. I'm too emotional for that I guess. The feeling of loss really took over there at the end, maybe that's why I didn't notice the "waving of the flag" as you've put it, I saw a lot of loss for what seemed such a little gain. Something to pay attention to if I ever watch it again.
Mercy

Postby Highlander on Sun May 04, 2008 1:36 am

Izydor Ingwar I. wrote:I didn't like the movie and I think the alternate ending was even worse. The only thing they didn't do there was waving the flag all over the place. Sorry if it offends all you USAians here, but for most people in Europe the pinnacle of giving an American film a bad ending is to wave the stripey flag in a sort of 'look at us, we survived, we are the strong' way. Every time such thing happens in some movie, we just slide down from the seats and wither on the floor in embarassment.

If it bothers you that much than go watch V for Vendetta or Children of Men.
Highlander

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Mon May 05, 2008 2:53 am

I liked Children of Men, though it had some flaws. V for Vendetta was just horrid. Nailing the Wachowski brothers to a wall and burning down the house wouldn't do the justice.

And I somehow fear the upcoming Watchmen adaptation. Zack Snyder? From the photos on the Watchmen movie website, I don't think they quite got who Ozymandias was. He was the King of Kings, not some scrawny ratso in a Schumacher-Batman costume.

Speaking of Watchmen: http://flickr.com/photos/izydor_ingwar_i/283343611/ ;)
And as I slit it open
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Postby demorganakamark on Mon May 05, 2008 3:17 am

What, i thought v for vendetta was a fine adaptation....the wachowski's are a great pair of directors, comic book writers.....If you go through every thing you watch with a fine tooth comb...how can u enjoy anything..the point of watching a movie is suspend your disbelief...plus, if you want a verbatim adaptation in 2 hours....your high...children of men was another fine movie........matter of fact..since you have this pointer, what movie wasnt u disappointed in.
demorganakamark

Postby Izydor_Ingwar_I. on Mon May 05, 2008 3:36 am

Sorry if I don't answer at once to all you've written, but I'm at work now so I should really be working ;).

And in short: yes, there are many things I enjoy. No, Alan Moore's comics' adaptations are not amongst them (except From Hell, maybe). I don't think the Wachowski Brothers are a great pair of directors. Coen brothers are a great pair of directors. And if you just don't agree with my opinion on some movie, you don't have to try being a little offensive by calling me high. It's just my opinion and it may differ from yours, that's why it's called an opinion and not a dogma.
And as I slit it open
Izydor_Ingwar_I.

Postby demorganakamark on Mon May 05, 2008 3:49 am

Nailing the Wachowski brothers to a wall and burning down the house wouldn't do the justice. ........that isnt offensive
demorganakamark

Next

Return to Movies and TV