LOST... spoilers!!

Talk about what you're watchin'.

LOST... spoilers!!

Postby Janice on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:16 pm

I can't believe no one's posted their theories and/or fist-shaking frustrations - what's up with that? Am I the only one who goes to sleep every night cursing JJ Abrams?

What the hell is going on with Jacob and his Evil Dead cabin? I half expect the next episode to include laughing deer heads on the walls and a portly Bruce Campbell with a chainsaw hand....

And why the fuck haven't we learned why Libby was in the mental hospital with Hurley? A conspiracy theorist friend thinks her dead husband was on that balcony that Hurley collapsed, and that that dead husband was conveniently named Dave (as in Imaginary Friend who jumps off cliffs Dave).

Come on, people! I KNOW soe of you have to be watching - so what do you think? I heard that because of the writer's strike there are only 8 new episodes of LOST, and then we're going to have a looooong wait again. Anyone know if there's any truth to this??

I curse you, JJ Abrams. Damn you for your gripping plotlines and renegade polar bears. I despise you for your endlessly fascinating plot twists and your stubborn refusal to clue rest of us into your Dharma secrets.
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi Janice, nice to see your happy, smiling face back where you belong.

I think I posted this already, but I think that this island is sort of like an old Star Trek episode where the landing party takes shoreleave to a planet where all their thoughts are read and then put into action. It's the Alice in Wonderland one where Boner sees the white rabbit.

Of course, there's more to it then that, but that's just a small bit of what I think this island is all about.

I'm also reminded of the movie, the old, old one- by the name of Soul Survivor (which has nothing to do with the new movie by that name) with Richard Baseheart and William shatner plays a minor role--in it, an army plane crashes and they're all dead, but they don't know it. But as their bodies are recovered and the flag is draped over them, they disappear and at the end, only one guy is left and the search is called off for his body.

I love this show and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they don't totally fuck it into the ground before it's all said and done. Go out while it's good--that's my hope.
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana_Jean

Postby Janice on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Hey, Deej! I ddn't catch your post on LOST; since I've been gone for a while it's nearly impossible for me to catch up with everything.

I considered the possibility that everyone's already dead and they don't "move on" until they die on the island (it seems as if people don't die on the island until they resolve some important personal issue - like Boone's disturbing relationship with her sister, or Ana Lucia's tendency to use violence over reason). I'd be SOOO pissed if they ended it that way, or if it all turned out to be Hurley's delusion while he's stuck in the nuthatch. That's such a copout.

I should have known you could sneak a reference to boners into your post somewhere. :wink:

Seems to me like throughout the series they've been pitting science against faith, and in the end everything will be chalked up to one or the other. Either it was all technological advances gone terribly wrong, or it was all fate.

Judging by Ben's sneakiness so far and his time on the island, he certainly could have created some elaborate plan and put it into place with the help of his selected "others" - but then again, all the connections between characters and some of the uncanny things that have happened make a convincing case for predestination.

My friend Nicki has a theory that "The Oceanic Six" is comprised of Jack, a pregnant Kate, Jin, Sun (pregnant as well), and Claire. She thinks they made a deal to get off the island, leaving the others there to sink or swim. Hence, Hurley's visions of Charlie telling them to go back because they left the rest of the survivors.... I don't know how much credence I can give the theory, but it WOULD explain the nosy black guy that came to visit Hurley at the hospital, as well as the detective's prying into the whereabouts of Ana Lucia (if everyone had gotten off the island, it should have been well known who died and how).

So, what - you don't have a theory about this Jacob guy and how he relates to Ben, Locke, and Walt?
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Janice on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Hey, Deej! I ddn't catch your post on LOST; since I've been gone for a while it's nearly impossible for me to catch up with everything.

I considered the possibility that everyone's already dead and they don't "move on" until they die on the island (it seems as if people don't die on the island until they resolve some important personal issue - like Boone's disturbing relationship with her sister, or Ana Lucia's tendency to use violence over reason). I'd be SOOO pissed if they ended it that way, or if it all turned out to be Hurley's delusion while he's stuck in the nuthatch. That's such a copout.

I should have known you could sneak a reference to boners into your post somewhere. :wink:

Seems to me like throughout the series they've been pitting science against faith, and in the end everything will be chalked up to one or the other. Either it was all technological advances gone terribly wrong, or it was all fate.

Judging by Ben's sneakiness so far and his time on the island, he certainly could have created some elaborate plan and put it into place with the help of his selected "others" - but then again, all the connections between characters and some of the uncanny things that have happened make a convincing case for predestination.

My friend Nicki has a theory that "The Oceanic Six" is comprised of Jack, a pregnant Kate, Jin, Sun (pregnant as well), and Claire. She thinks they made a deal to get off the island, leaving the others there to sink or swim. Hence, Hurley's visions of Charlie telling them to go back because they left the rest of the survivors.... I don't know how much credence I can give the theory, but it WOULD explain the nosy black guy that came to visit Hurley at the hospital, as well as the detective's prying into the whereabouts of Ana Lucia (if everyone had gotten off the island, it should have been well known who died and how).

So, what - you don't have a theory about this Jacob guy and how he relates to Ben, Locke, and Walt?

Janice

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 pm

I don't know who this Jacob guy is. I'm still thinking on that one. And, I think Locke was one of the Oceanic Six because I think he's the one in the coffin. Not friend, not family--he basically had no one to mourn for him so that's why no one was at the funeral and why Jack struggled with it because they had such a tempestuous relationship at best.

And Ben? Really, if you think about it, every single character is so intriguing and mysterious. I always loved how they would focus on particular character's backstories in an episode. It really made you invested in their well-being.

I just don't know and I hope this writer's strike ends so they can continue with episodes. Like I said, I hope they end this with brilliance because if they do something lame, I will be so disappointed.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi. My name is Laura and I'm a LOST-oholic.

I haven't posted here because I go to a private bb with a few peeps who are completely LOST Obsessed, like me. :D

I'll c/p a few of my ideas/theories/raves, lol:
It was nice to see Locke say what I first said when Ben shot him: if he hadn't given his kidney to his Dad, he'd have been dead. So it wasn't so much the island saving him but coincidence.............or was it??? Did all of that w/ his Dad happen simply to prepare him for his stay on the island? The same might be said of all of them.

I totally agree that Dharma sent the newbies but it looked like only Naomi was in on why they really wanted Ben. Don't you think?

So, back when the hatch blew up, anyone looking (radar-wise) would have been able to see the island, right? So that's how Dharma (and Penny's people) got fixes, right? If so, why only send 4 people? Wouldn't they want to storm the place?

How does Dharma know that Ben offed the original Dharma group? Ohhhhh, wait a minute...I'm answering my own question, I think. They don't know! When the black dude was asking Hurley who was still alive...he was digging for info because he didn't know!! That means that of the Oceanic 6, none of the newbies are going to come back.....if they did, they'd surely report to DharmaDude, right??

Here's my prediction: we already know Jack, Kate and Hurley go back. I say Sayid to fly the chopper, and Sun since she and her baby die if she stays and......oooohhh! Not sure who #6 will be! Seems too easy to say Jin will go with her....maybe someone will be injured and Jin gives up his spot to let them get to the freighter. Or maybe not! :P

I thought Miles was a bastard but he's obviously a medium with some sort of weird control over spirits. (Does he need his little vacuum-device to make them leave, though? Or possibly even to confine one??) Perhaps Ben has that same sort of power......maybe he's the one who confined Jacob in the cabin. Maybe Locke also has it......and Ben is so threatened by the fact that Jacob communicated with Locke by asking for his help!

I think we were just shown a bit of his past so we could see what he's capable of.....the kid had been a drug dealer and once Miles had his stash of cash, he was done. He told the spirit to leave only as an afterthought.

I totallytotally think Dharma faked the underwater-crash-site. They must've grabbed up Jeff Fahey after he called saying that pilot they were showing underwater wasn't the real McCoy. Did they force him to go to the island? Blackmail?

What about the polar bear skeleton in the desert with the Dharma collar? She was so happy when she saw that.....???

I like Dave...is he the guy we've seen on some sites whose fiance was a stewardess on 815?

Very good episode!!
As for whow as in the coffin in the flash-forward: cases can be made for either Ben or Michael. Neither would get many mourners. Remember, Michael betrayed them to the Others so he and Walt could sail off. Course, i think we'll see them again....
I'll be amazed if Locke willingly leaves the island.

Here's a link to a cool interview w/ Hurley (Jorge Garcia):
http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/d ... fd-kristin

Here's a link to a close-up of the obituary Jack was reading before going to the funeral home in the flash-forward:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/RlU ... pping2.jpg

Whoever Jacob is, he communicated with Locke without Ben's permission and it pissed him off so badly that he shot John! According to Hurley's interview, it was Jack's dad in the rocking chair. So does Jacob take on the appearance of dead people, hence the sightings on the island?? I have no idea, lol!
Here's a bit about Jacob: (I posted this in May of last year)
Who is Jacob?
From Bonnie Covel
Your Guide to Lost

A Theory on One of Lost's Island Mysteries
I think we will know a lot more about Jacob come May 9th, 2007, when Ben starts to leak some of the island secrets to Locke in episode 3x20, The Man Behind the Curtain.

References to Jacob:
While Ben was being held in the armory of the Swan Hatch, he referred to "him" as a great man. Though he didn't use the name, he was probably referring to Jacob.

Later, on Hydra Island, Jack does spinal surgery on Ben. Pickett is upset by this and says to another Other, "Ben just put his life in the hands of one of them!" He draws his gun. "Shephard wasn't even on Jacob's list."

Mikhail tells Kate of the list and when she asks what list, he says, "The man who brought me here, who brought all of my people here, he's a magnificent man." Kate assumes he is talking about Ben, but Mikhail says that he is not talking about Ben.

In a Juliet flashback, we see Ben promise Juliet that Jacob will cure Juliet's sister's cancer. In addition, he talks about Jacob as if he is some kind of God.

The Wizard of Oz
To understand Jacob, let's take a look at the evolution of Ben. We first saw Ben when he was trapped in one of Rousseau's nets. He claimed he was Henry Gale from Minnesota and that he and his wife had crashed on the island in their hot air balloon.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (a children's book by L. Frank Baum from the early 1900s that was later made into a film) also has a character named Henry Gale. He was Dorothy's uncle. In Lost, the real Henry Gale was later found in a grave, proving that Ben was a fraud.

Parallels between The Wizard of Oz and Lost:
The name Henry Gale
The hot air balloon
Sawyer's nickname for Tom Zeke which in the book is one of Henry Gale's ranch hands.
In Desmond's flashback, he remembers a man in red shoes crushed by scaffolding (just as the Wicked Witch of the East was crushed by Dorothy's house)
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain," the wizard says after Dorothy's dog, Toto, pulls a curtain to reveal a man working a contraption to make the wizard talk. The 5/9/07 Lost episode is titled "The Man Behind the Curtain"

Who is Jacob?
My theory is that Jacob doesn't exist. Like the magician in The Wizard of Oz, Ben has created the illusion of a great and powerful being. Even the Others don't know that Jacob is simply Ben performing tricks.
This is how he gets the Others to do what he wants them to do. He evokes images from the great man, Jacob. The island has grand healing power, but Ben has made people believe that Jacob is helping them, rather than the help coming from a natural occurrence on the island.
Even though there is no Jacob, Ben himself has a lot of power, even off of the island. People follow his orders and that's how he knows so much and how he can control things off the island (such as Juliet's ex getting hit by a bus in episode 3x7, Not in Portland

After all the references to Jacob, The Wizard Oz parallels, and the just plain wondering who Jacob is, whether or not I'm right in my theory, I sure hope we find out something about him on the 9th!

I'd better stop now, before you guys kick me off the board.... :oops:

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby grasking on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Is Jacob a reference to Jacob's Ladder?
grasking

Postby grasking on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:57 pm

There was a book J.J. Abrams mentioned was a big influence and it wasn't The Wizard of Oz. I remember him saying if you've read this book you could direct an episode of LOST. Unfortunately I can't remember the title, but I believe the novel takes place in a police station and throughout the novel the protagonist keeps shifting through time and space.

I just remembered something. In one of the first episodes with Desmond, he has the book. I remembered the name; The Third Policeman! (I wish I did the research before I posted.)

Maybe the island in LOST is the Nexus of Reality.
grasking

Postby LauraK on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm not familiar with that book but I have definitely heard that theory, Grasking. I know I've seen people discussing "nexus of reality." So what is it?

LK :)

LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:51 am

LauraK wrote:I'm not familiar with that book but I have definitely heard that theory, Grasking. I know I've seen people discussing "nexus of reality." So what is it?

It's a hair product. :roll: :lol:
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:58 am

Lol, I used to sell it at the first salon I worked at. :D

LK

LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:02 am

LauraK wrote:Lol, I used to sell it at the first salon I worked at. :D

LK

And there is nothing like the reality of split ends--which swings us back to LOST and all the loose ends there.

Taaaaa-daaaaa!
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 am

Groannnnn!

:lol:

LK

LauraK

Postby grasking on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:10 pm

LauraK wrote:I'm not familiar with that book but I have definitely heard that theory, Grasking. I know I've seen people discussing "nexus of reality." So what is it?

I don't know all that much about it. I first heard of "Nexus of all Realities" in Marvel Comics. It's a mystical place on earth where you can move from one reality or dimension to another, and beings from other dimensions can enter ours.
grasking

Postby LauraK on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

That idea is much more desirable than, on the last episode, having Hurley wake up and say "Whoa. That was one hellof a dream, dude."

LK

LauraK

Next

Return to Movies and TV