Recommend a movie.......make the list as long as u want

Talk about what you're watchin'.

Re: Recommend a movie.......make the list as long as u want

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:18 am

Yesterday afternoon my daughter talked me into watching "Candy" with Heath Ledger. If anyone out there needs a really good cry this is the movie for you.
Sometimes I purposely watch sad movies...crying is very therapeutic for me. I will say that watching sad movies is much easier for me than reading sad books. I'm not sure why.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:35 am

Oh, thats a very tragic story.....
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:36 am

atonement...is a very good movie......the cinematography is great...it did piss me off...
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:38 am

I always get sad when i watch "sweet november"..I have always enjoyed that movie alot..
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:41 am

Does anyone know whats going on with the "cell"..
demorganakamark

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:44 am

"THE SIGNAL" Kinda shares some ideas with "CELL" even though it was made about a year before it was published...ITs broken up into 3 related stories by 3 directors using the sames characters for each story.......in my opionion, the first story was by far the strongest, i thought that the mood, acting, directing and everything hit the mark..it was damn near perfect..the others are so,so....
demorganakamark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:42 am

demorganakamark wrote:atonement...is a very good movie......the cinematography is great...it did piss me off...

It was beautifully done...actually the book pissed me off more than the movie. Don't get me wrong...it's well written and tragic, but I felt very frustrated by the ending.

Betsy_Boo

Postby grasking on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:59 pm

demorganakamark wrote:atonement...is a very good movie......the cinematography is great...it did piss me off...

Me too. I felt cheated at the end.
grasking

Postby grasking on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:14 pm

I finally saw Juno. I never really laughed but it did make me smile alot.
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:33 am

I loved "Juno"...I guess it's not really a lol kind of movie, but I thought it was great.

My daughter, who is a major indy film fan has gotten me to watch a lot of movies I probably wouldn't have watched on my own and she has really opened up my appreciation for the smaller, lesser known films. Last night she got me to watch "Wristcutters: A Love Story". I highly recommend it...it has Patrick Fugit, Shanna Sossaman (sp?) and Tom Waits who I found hysterically funny in an odd sort of way. It was very Coen Bro-esque, IMO, in that I still think about certain scenes and laugh. I'm not saying the movie is a laugh riot...more quirky kind of humor.

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:17 am

Ok, I finally bought and watched The Devil's Backbone by Guillermo Del Toro- and it was most excellent. A few scenes were goose-flesh-inducingly-creepy and yet it had that sad, sweetness that he gives his films. It wasn't exactly what I'd been expecting- it was better. I highly recommend it. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:24 pm

LauraK wrote:Ok, I finally bought and watched The Devil's Backbone by Guillermo Del Toro- and it was most excellent. A few scenes were goose-flesh-inducingly-creepy and yet it had that sad, sweetness that he gives his films. It wasn't exactly what I'd been expecting- it was better. I highly recommend it. :)

LK

Perfect description LK! When someone lent it to me I expected a basic horror film, but it was so much more! And it reminded me that the terrible things people do to each other is the true "horror" in life.

Earlier today I thought of another movie I'd recommend..."Quills". I think it is a wonderful (yet tragic) depiction of a writer who MUST write, in spite of all the roadblocks put before him.

Betsy_Boo

Postby grasking on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:41 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:I loved "Juno"...I guess it's not really a lol kind of movie, but I thought it was great.

My daughter, who is a major indy film fan has gotten me to watch a lot of movies I probably wouldn't have watched on my own and she has really opened up my appreciation for the smaller, lesser known films. Last night she got me to watch "Wristcutters: A Love Story". I highly recommend it...it has Patrick Fugit, Shanna Sossaman (sp?) and Tom Waits who I found hysterically funny in an odd sort of way. It was very Coen Bro-esque, IMO, in that I still think about certain scenes and laugh. I'm not saying the movie is a laugh riot...more quirky kind of humor.

Tom Waits is playing the devil in Terry Gilliam's next movie.
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:33 pm

That's great news, g...I gotta tell my daughter. Tom Waits is my new fav actor. What perfect casting...I can soooo see that! And who doesn't love Terry Gilliam? Thanks g. I'm gonna go look it up. :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Ok...I looked it up. It sounds fabulous:

"For starters, Waits had a few words to share on the role he nabbed in the forthcoming flick from imaginative director and Monty Python descendent Terry Gilliam, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (not to be confused with Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium). Waits joins an all-star cast that includes Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Christopher Plummer, Colin Farrell, and the late Heath Ledger, and he's got one heck of a part.

"I am the Devil in The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus-- not a devil...The Devil," Waits "explains" in his self-interview. "I don't know why [Gilliam] thought of me. I was raised in the church." Guess that makes Waits the mortal enemy of Alanis Morissette?"

I can't wait! What bums me out is Tom Waits is touring right now and on 7/02 he's going to be playing in my hometown! Well, maybe my brother can go... :(

Betsy_Boo

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV