The Mist

Talk about what you're watchin'.

Postby meridith on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:14 pm

yes now I'm curious! I watched the Mist 2 nights ago.....wow......great movie...fantastic. It had a really great "King" feel to it, I mean it was faithful to the feeling you get when reading his books, some of the movies don't do that even if I do like them...and wow on the ending!!!!!

The only thing I noticed was the painting. now I"ll have to watch it in slow motion LOL. I did notice that Thomas Jane's character picked up a Hellboy comic for his son (I did do that part in slow-mo, thinking they may have had the Punisher since he was in Punisher, but Hellboy also makes sense!)

Betsy Boo wrote:Well, the Roland painting is pretty obvious, but I didn't notice anything else. Could someone clue me in on the rest? I guess I should watch it again and pay closer attention.
meridith

Postby meridith on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:20 pm

Forgot the "My Life for you" reference! you know, as said by Trashcan Man about Flagg in the Stand and by others in the DT series. Was that in the short story as well (if anyone has read it recently).

*******spoiler, kindof************

ok....did anyone completely love the walking giant monster at the end? that was very, very cool.
meridith

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:18 pm

Oh yeah...now I remember that! I don't remember her saying that in the story. But I am definitely going to watch this movie again to see if I can catch anything else.

Loved the giant monster at the end!! But that's not a true spoiler 'cause that was in the story. Watching the movie made me want to read it again, but I lent it to my daughter and she hasn't brought it back yet.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:15 am

Remember that SK said somewhere that his dream of a mist and 2 huge legs that disappeared up into it was his inspiration for writing The Mist.

I was kinda sad that those legs were Other-Dimensional and not God-like. :)

Before I could even say anything at the beginning, Tom yelled out "The Dark Tower!" Lol! I have him trained up right, don't I? It must drive him nuts when I constantly point out the King-isms and what was and wasn't in the novella.....but he's good about it.

We both liked it a lot- great effects, kept completely agreeeing during the scene where they talk about the breakdown of society and it's rules when the shit hits the fan. I completely agree that would happen......I also don't have loads of faith in society as a whole and tend toward cynicism. So shoot me.

Speaking of which..............

*****SPOILERS!!********
Boy, did we hate the end! Such a major downer!! Why couldn't they have waited?? I would have. "Let's wait and see if anyone comes......we're safe for the moment....." :(

As soon as he got out, we both realized the mist would dissipate......ugh. So awful. :(
I guess it fit but I couldn't have done it to my son. I thought maybe they'd do a Jim Jones since it had been mentioned earlier.

It was very well done.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby sybil on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:24 am

yeah LK - i would have waited until i was about to collapse from water deprivation or something. but maybe he thought he'd weaken too much? i dunno, but it was definitely a hitchcock/twilight zone ending!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:56 am

sybil wrote:yeah LK - i would have waited until i was about to collapse from water deprivation or something. but maybe he thought he'd weaken too much? i dunno, but it was definitely a hitchcock/twilight zone ending!

I'm with you and LK on this one...I liked the open-ending of the book much better. But I still liked the movie...as I said before, the ending made it almost a completely different story. I was actually kind of glad they left out the sex in the office scene. I always kind of thought that was unnecessary. I thought the casting was wonderful...especially Marcia Gay Harden. I never pictured Mrs. Carmody looking like that (physically attractive), but she was fantastic in the role! She's a great actress. You could totally believe she could take over the hearts and minds of those folks. And I liked Ollie, the assistant mgr, too. But like you LK...I too am rather cynical these days about how people would react in these kind of situations...I think like in this story and "Lord of the Flies" (and "The Stand" for that matter) we'd break apart into warring factions and it would become "survival of the fittest". My irrational, hopeful side hopes not, though.

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:38 pm

oh, i liked this ending better...i just think it would have been more realistic for him to wait a while before actually doing it.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:21 pm

SPOILERS>>>>>>>

We just watched this again this weekend. I loved the ending. You have to remember, when you get caught in a fog or mist, you become disoriented. Think about driving in a heavy fog. You're going really slow and think you've gone all this way and then something jumps out of the fog at you, some landmark, and you realize, shit, I've barely moved! I think it's the same with time. Also, with ripping a hole into another dimension, time surely is altered. I would think anyway.

We don't really know how long they'd been driving or how long they had been sitting there. And when he gets out of the truck, we don't know how long he stands there before the army rolls by. The camera shots add to the disorientation.

I thought it was fantastic. Perfect example of what happens when you give up hope. And, he promised his son, afterall, that he wouldn't let a monster get him. My only thought on this was, his son has a small skull, why couldn't he have put his son's head up against the girl's head and shot through both of them killing two birds with one stone? He then would have had a bullet for himself.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Dana, that's funny because Tom and I discussed that very same thing! I said what if the bullet had slowed so much after getting through his son, though, that it didn't kill her outright? Then she'd be suffering and he wouldn't want that.

It really sucked, though. Big ol downer for us. I definitely would have preferred them driving away with the hope of having heard "Hartford" on the radio and not knowing what happened next.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby meridith on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:39 pm

yes it was quite a downer...

yes I don't think he would have wanted anyone to suffer...

the other thing is that I think he didn't want his son to know he was shooting him....I figured his son went first, then the rest-if he had their heads together it would have made it too obvious to his son

LauraK wrote:Dana, that's funny because Tom and I discussed that very same thing! I said what if the bullet had slowed so much after getting through his son, though, that it didn't kill her outright? Then she'd be suffering and he wouldn't want that.

It really sucked, though. Big ol downer for us. I definitely would have preferred them driving away with the hope of having heard "Hartford" on the radio and not knowing what happened next.

LK
meridith

Postby The_Fourth_Craw on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:55 am

LauraK wrote:Craw- You can order a copy from Amazon can't you? Or some other online source that ships to the UK?

LK

Could order from Amazon, but my DVD player is not yet multiregional. Still to do some research on how to hack the factory settings to make it so. At the moment I will just have to be very very patient....
The Fourth Craw

The_Fourth_Craw

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:18 am

SPOILERS******

meridith wrote:yes it was quite a downer...

yes I don't think he would have wanted anyone to suffer...

the other thing is that I think he didn't want his son to know he was shooting him....I figured his son went first, then the rest-if he had their heads together it would have made it too obvious to his son

LauraK wrote:Dana, that's funny because Tom and I discussed that very same thing! I said what if the bullet had slowed so much after getting through his son, though, that it didn't kill her outright? Then she'd be suffering and he wouldn't want that.

LK

If you remember though, the son wakes up before he shoots them and his eyes grow huge with fright right before we see the flash in the car. I think the son knew there at the end.
Dana_Jean

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:22 pm

yeah, he knew...but would he have stood still for it? that would get ugly.

really good thinking on the time thing, DJ!!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:20 pm

LK

Yeah, if the bullet didn't make it all the way through the kid's head into the girl's head, he still had that fourth bullet to put her down.

So, no harm no foul either way. It was a bullet he was going to have use on her anyway, so why not try the two for one special first? and, she wouldn't have suffered. He would have taken her down quick. And the kid was asleep. You know how dead to the world kids are. their bodies just slump and I think he could have positioned the kid's head on her head before he woke up.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:40 pm

Perhaps it was the irony of the situation? I mean, I know if I had made that decision, that's EXACTLY what would happen to me. In other words, that's the kind of luck I have.

Betsy_Boo

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV